WNDR3300 and a very slow network - advice?

fpeterman
Aspirant

WNDR3300 and a very slow network - advice?

So, lemme just start out by saying that I know almost nothing about setting up a wireless network. I followed the directions easily enough out of the box and got it all set up...great! Now...beyond that, I am clueless, and here's my problem:

I have 5 devices in the house that would consume bandwidth at any given time, they are:

PC (where the modem and router are directly wired)
Macbook
XBox 360
PS3
Wii

Now, I noticed a few months back that whenever the PC is on, any other device in the house that can use wireless is rendered effectively useless. My wife's macbook goes from loading up a webpage in 5 seconds to take 10 or 15 MINUTES to load up a single web page. The XBox 360 cannot hold connection and will drop constantly, often times not even connecting at all. Same for the PS3. The Wii is scarcely used, but has the same problem.

I have my router set to an active DMZ, because I was told this is the best setting to use if you have multiple devices, especially game consoles.

Now, I was recently told that the DMZ is likely the CAUSE of all of my problems. Apparently, because it completely opens up to traffic, my PC is probably hogging all the bandwidth because it sees the most traffic. Also, Time Warner, my cable/internet provider, insists that their speed is showing normal and there is no hiccup in my line (though I am hesitant to ever beleive what they tell me).

The whole point of having a router is so that my wife and I can use mutliple devices in the house at the same time, and the PC is one that is used constantly. So frankly, having the PC off is not an option in most cases.

Any advice on what I can do? I was told that disabling the DMZ and opening a specific port for each device will not only improve the situation, but each device will probably have a perfect high speed connection. I have absolutely no idea how to go about that.

Thanks, and sorry for the long rant.
Message 1 of 11
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: WNDR3300 and a very slow network - advice?

As a general issue, have you tried checking what the PC is actually doing when it is on-line?

Check that it is clean of any nasties. Use your AV software and some anti-malware software too.

Also it may be downloading various updates in the background or synchronising with an on-line account (i.e. Dropbox). Could it be running a backup program?

Does it just slow things down when using WiFi or when on an Ethernet cable too? If it is exclusively WiFi on the PC, then check the setup for the WiFi Adaptor through the Control Panel.
Message 2 of 11
fpeterman
Aspirant

Thank you Scubbie for replying!

Sorry it took so long to get back, had a few issues around the house to take care of for a while!

So basically, the PC is not doing anything out of the ordinary. For example, we do not use Torrents or anything like that which would consume all bandwidth.

The only thing I can imagine that's chewing up our bandwidth, and I've been told by a few people that it does this, is Norton 360. In the past I've had issues with Norton taking over my computer and pretty much making using the PC a pain in the rear, but Norton 360 seems a bit better. However, any time the computer is on, 360 is also running. It has quite a few internet protection settings.

Again I know very little about Wireless networking. I have a password set up so I know that no one is leeching off the network (and I confirmed that there are no other devices attached). Otherwise I don't know if there are any other security measures that may be hurting my bandwidth.

For the XBox 360 and PS3, the network is 100% inaccessible while the PC is running. For my wife's Macbook, the quality of her connection is that of dial-up while the PC is running.

I've come to notice as of late that even with the PC off, connection to many of our devices is still somewhat bad. I'll break it down here:

XBox 360 Connection Quality with PC turned off

Good: 0 - >5%
Fair: 5%
Poor: 80%
Awful: 15%

PS3 Connection Quality with PC turned off

Good: 0 - >5%
Fair: 15%
Poor: 70%
Awful: 15%

Macbook Connection Quality with PC turned off

Good: 45%
Fair: 25%
Poor: 25%
Awful: 5%

This makes me think it's not just the PC being on but my network in general...and again being that I know virtually nothing about wireless networks, I don't know if I did the right thing by opening my DMZ. Friends have been telling me to open specific ports, but I don't know how to find the corresponding port.
Message 3 of 11
Scubbie
Apprentice

With Norton 360, does the icon for it have a red cross? If so then you need to give it some attention. If you double click then icon it will open up and you can follow the prompts.

All AV products should ensure that they have the latest list of viruses to ensure that they work at their best. There have also been a few updates to the package recently so it will be a good idea to ensure that they have been updated as well.

Use the Windows Task Manager to see what the computer is doing. You may find that there are other programs too which are downloading legitimate updates.

It is still word downloading and installing a program to check your computer for Malware too. Most packages only capture a certain amount of nasties. I find Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to be a good package.
Message 4 of 11
fpeterman
Aspirant

Norton's got a green check mark so it's up to date. Otherwise, no idea what to do from here.
Message 5 of 11
Scubbie
Apprentice

fpeterman wrote:
Norton's got a green check mark so it's up to date. Otherwise, no idea what to do from here.

No problem. Does the Windows Task Manager help? It can show you if the computer is using the connection to the router, what applications are taking up the processor's resources and with a bit more work, many hidden applications will be located.

Also have you installed any anti-malware software?
Message 6 of 11
fpeterman
Aspirant

Yup! Malware Bytes, as well as Spybot.

Additionally, Task Manager shows the following:

CPU Usage: 1%
Network Utilization: 0%
Link Speed: 100 Mbps
State: Connected

Running Malware right now to see if there's anything interesting going on...so far zippo.
Message 7 of 11
fpeterman
Aspirant

Additionally, I just ran a connection speed test.

Download: 19.39 Mbps
Upload: 1.95 Mbps
Message 8 of 11
sabretooth
Apprentice

Back to the basics. Those devices are normal for most everybody. Please perform the following.

If the router is not on the most recent firmware upgrade the firmware.

Now hard reset the router for 30 seconds. Wait 10 seconds and power cycle the router. Reconfigure the router back from scratch. In the router, disable UPnP. Change wireless settings to a fixed channel 1,6 or 11. Wireless encryption must be set to WPA2-AES and disable WMM under QoS. Now try.
Message 9 of 11
Alnico
Aspirant

There are many reasons why a single PC might cause wireless performance issues. A bad wireless NIC is a possiblity. It would be good to try and eliminate the wireless NIC as a possiblity - by using a wired connection, or a USB attached Wireless NIC if you have a spare, etc. A bit of process of elimination should be done regarding that.

On the DMZ/Security note: There is rarely a reason to enable a DMZ if your router supports Univeral Plug & Play: uPnP. I use the wndr4500 and have 2 ipods, 2 zunes, 2 ipads, 3 xbox, 4 laptops, 2 desktops, 1 BD-player, 1 apple tv, and 1 internet capable printer - all attached and running at the same time... I can connect with all of these devices and do not use a DMZ setting. In order to allow the devices to register the forwarding needed with the router, I use uPnP (enabled by default on my rtr model). Before enabling a DMZ setting to support a XBOX I recommend checking out, http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/nat-type-strict.

Effectively, enabling a DMZ tells the router to send all taffic that originates from outside, not identified as a reply from a specific client, to that DMZ address. Such may be needed if you are hosting some sort of service for the public to access, but even then the need can usually be met with port-forwarding alone. For example: I host a SSL encrypted RDP listener on a my home server, so I can access my home network remotely from anywhere in the world. I use a single port forward to my target systems lisetning port from the outside but do not use the DMZ setting.

David Taylor
Microsoft Alumnus
Certified Information Systems Security Professional
NOTE: These comments and the opinions they contain are mine and not necessarily those of Microsoft or my current employeer. They are provided by me to use at your own risk.
Message 10 of 11
fpeterman
Aspirant

sabretooth wrote:
Back to the basics. Those devices are normal for most everybody. Please perform the following.

If the router is not on the most recent firmware upgrade the firmware.

Now hard reset the router for 30 seconds. Wait 10 seconds and power cycle the router. Reconfigure the router back from scratch. In the router, disable UPnP. Change wireless settings to a fixed channel 1,6 or 11. Wireless encryption must be set to WPA2-AES and disable WMM under QoS. Now try.

Sabretooth,

Thanks for this. It seems to have done the trick. As soon as I reset all the router settings, my wife's Macbook maintained an optimal speed, and I was able to connect to XBox Live without a problem. The connection seems weak, but I feel that's mostly due to the XBox 360's built-in wireless, which honestly I've always felt to be rather meh. I think I'll be investing in the wireless booster for it. The PS3 is always very good when it's connected.

Thanks, everyone...for all the help and advice. Very much appreciated. I know it can be irritating to put up with someone who's clueless and asking dumb questions, so your patience with me was awesome.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements