WNDR3400 DNS settings and Roku

elizadoolittle
Aspirant

WNDR3400 DNS settings and Roku

Yesterday my cable, internet and wireless started playing up for a while. After they had settled down I was unable to get one of my Rokus to work correctly. It would connect to the wireless, the local network and the internet but would not display pictures on channel listings, would retrieve catalogs but would not display the little program pictures/icons and would not play the programs.

I spent over four hours talking to Roku customer service trying to sort this out. The last thing they told me to do was to change my DNS settings on my wireless Netgear (WNDR3400) router and put them in manually, then to go to cmd.exe and type nslookup to ensure the changes had been accepted.

However, when typing in nslookup, there was no mention of any DNS settings. I tried inputting the DNS settings several times, even rebooting my computer a couple of times, but each time typing nslookup at command prompt, there would be no mention of DNS settings.

Roku insist it is a Netgear issue and that I contact Netgear for help. Knowing Netgear customer service won't help for more than three minutes after purchasing the product (I've had my router for over 12 months with no issues before now, and I'm still not convinced it's a Netgear issue) I am posting here in the hope someone somewhere will and can help.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDR3400 DNS settings and Roku

Hi @elizadoolittle,

Welcome to the community!

This wouldn't be a NETGEAR router if you can browse the Internet on other devices.

To isolate further, try to direct connect the Roku straight to the modem and see if you will get the same result.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 4
elizadoolittle
Aspirant

Thats a little difficult. The cable modem is one end of the huse and the Roku about halfway through the house.

Thanks for the reply :-)

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are there any wireless devices that are having issues with Internet access where the Roku is located?

If there's none, then it wouldn't be a router problem.

This sounds a little complicated to isolate cause of the distance.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements