Aspirant

WNDR3400 Netgear wireless router settings

Hello,

My 7 month old WNDR3400 Netgear wireless router suddenly stopped working. There must be someone out there who can help, and that brings me to this forum.

The router's power light will not remain on after powering it up. The only lights that remain on after power-up are the (4) "LAN Port" lights (solid green) and the "Internet" light (solid amber).

One of the things I've tried was using a paper clip to reset the router to it's factory settings. It didn't change anything though. Re-running the setup CD didn't yield any results either. It just stopped in the middle because it said there was no ethernet cable connecting the laptop to the router, even though there was.

By the way... My ISP is Century Link and I use an Actiontec DSL Modem.

Not sure how to modify the router's settings if the network is down. Please advise if anyone knows of a fix.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: WNDR3400 Netgear wireless router settings

Try this, Hold reset button in while power cycling several times and continue to hold reset for 90 secs after removing power. Then try the cd again.
Message 2 of 10
Virtuoso

there is no 90sec hold

highest is 60sec.

complete correct reset procedure that netegear support will provide is rendered here
http://vpncasestudy.com/reset.html
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 10
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. I tried all of the hard resets, but with no luck. I attempted to recover the firmware, but I can't get the computer to recognize that it's directly connected to the router. It seems that my router is having more severe issues. There's no way to log on to the router's webpage either. I'm at a loss... Smiley Sad

Does it sound like a hardware issue to anyone? Perhaps something wrong electronically with the unit?
Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The whole reason for holding the reset button is to bleed of any voltage left in the circuits so 60 or 90 does not realy matter and going the extra has is some cases actually worked when the latter hasn't. When most people arrive at this form they have tried all the Netgear Standard procedures which I did in the past too. I have resolved several corrupted routers by going the extra 30 secs. It does not hurt anything does it? The fact that the power light will not stay on is a good indicator that firmware is corrupt or the unit has a componet failure anyway.
Message 5 of 10
Virtuoso

Remove Ethernet cable for Internet port of the router , power on/off the router and check make sure that PC is getting ip from the router

If still not getting any resuls call support for RMA could your next option to get replaced
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 10
Virtuoso

No Power lights indicates bad power supply. Regardless of corrupted firmware it will have power.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 10
Apprentice

trajan0423 wrote:
My 7 month old WNDR3400 Netgear wireless router suddenly stopped working.

Did anything happen just prior to the router not working? Example:

- Was there a thunderstorm?

- Was there an interruption in your electrical power supply?

- Did you notice any momentary dimming of lights (indicating a drop and possible surge in voltage)?

Adding to jmizoguchi's reply, do you have an extra power supply with the same specs that you could swap and try?
Message 8 of 10
Aspirant

Thanks for the inquiry. When it kicked the bucket I was streaming a movie on Netflix via my Tivo Premiere. Right at the end too! Anyway, I've been having connectivity issues on my Tivo for months, but always chalked it up to the reduced range when operating on the 5 Ghz channel. Maybe this router has been sputtering along and finally just crashed out for good.

Also, I think the bad power supply is in the female end, or internal to the unit. The part that plugs into the electrical outlet is ok.

In any event, I called Netgear support and gave them the full rundown of everything I learned on this forum. They agreed to replace the unit, although it's a bit of a lengthly process. Hopefully I'll be up and running in a couple weeks.

I'll chalk that up to better late than never. Smiley Happy

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread! Smiley Very Happy
Message 9 of 10
Virtuoso

good luck and post back your results
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-