WNDR3400 QoS doesn't work at all

itzmejoey
Aspirant

WNDR3400 QoS doesn't work at all

Hello all. I'm having an issue with my new WNDR3400 N600 router. I am currently in the process of uploading a huge amount of music (500GB) to both Google Music and Amazon Cloud Player, and I also frequently play Counter Strike/Day of Defeat online games. With only a 2MB upload, this is taking quite some time. I was hoping that QoS would solve the problem I have of atrocious ping times when the uploaders for the above-mentioned services are running, but so far it has had no effect whatsoever.

My setup is this: Under Advanced -> QoS Setup, the only service with the priority of "Highest" is Counter Strike. All others have either been deleted because I don't use them and will never use them, or the priority it set to High, Normal, or Low. "Turn Internet Access QoS On" is checked, of course, and this is from a PC that is connected via Ethernet, not wireless.

Regardless of whether or not QoS is turned on, my pings are in the 400-500ms range with the uploaders running. When the uploaders are stopped, it immediately drops to 30-40ms. I even tried deleting the Counter Strike entry in the QoS screen and adding it manually, double checking the appropriate ports, and it still had no effect.

I will occasionally run a BitTorrent client, and one other thing I noticed is that the client will always run at max up/down speed regardless of whatever else is running at the time, even though I have specified the port that this client uses as Low priority in QoS. Higher priority services, especially games with High or Highest priority in QoS, suffer from the same ping issues when BT is running.

Both of these examples lead me to believe that QoS just simply is not working. I have tried resetting the router to defaults, and I also upgraded to the newest firmware, but neither worked. Has anyone else had this issue with the WNDR3400? Is there any known fix?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR3400 QoS doesn't work at all

if you only have 2Mbps internet that would be .25MB/sec so you have have small broadband to do all your needs

QoS can help some priority but bandwidth is bandwidth.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
itzmejoey
Aspirant

That's just my upload speed. I have 40Mbps download. Besides, the amount of bandwidth available isn't the issue... it's that QoS isn't correctly prioritizing what I have.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

your upload is your negative impact to when you trying non stop uploading with 2Mbps... that is small bandwidth.

uploader must be part of QoS or will not take any effect as well.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 7
GVL2015
Aspirant

Issue  im having unusual.
My router Qos Rules automaticly vanish after DHCP expires after 3 days.
What i did to fix the issue.
1-log in to router and set up your qos rules.
2- Back up  your settings BEFOR logging out.back up settings(1)MAX.jpg
3- Do a hard Reset ( Press and HOLD the reset button 5 to 7 seconds)
4- Log in th router with default user and password (manufactor) and uploaded the File setting back to the router. back up settings(2)MAX.jpg
5- This fixed the DHCP expires conflict with qos rules.

Message 5 of 7
GVL2015
Aspirant

Please note
Not sure why but it just a rule of law stander that can not be changed with wireless routers.

* direct Qos rules by mac address will not apply(can not Work) with repeater or extenders.
Example:
Qos   rule By mac address:           Rule Priority                  |     Mac Address
Priority                                          LOW                           :  Mac address A90:XXX:XXX:XXX
If lets say you have extender connected and this mac A90 address connectes to repeater rather then
directily to the Wireless router. This device will not be throttled (Prioritized this mac address ) . You will actuly have to Prioritize
the Repeater its self  that you have connected.

Message 6 of 7
GVL2015
Aspirant

WNDR3400 Qos confliction with DHCP has been Fixed as of 12-9-2015 with latest Firmware Update.
Thank you

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E