WNDR3400 and Windows 7 Backup over Readyshare: Does it work for you?

hetron
Aspirant

WNDR3400 and Windows 7 Backup over Readyshare: Does it work for you?

Hi All,

I have posted some variation of this post in a few different spots, and have not received any responses. Basically I wanted to know if people have been able to use the WIndows 7 backup program with an external HD connected through the USB readyshare port.

I have a 500GB Western Digital Portable MyPassport Essential 500GB. The drive comes with the annoying WD Smartware feature, which won't work with ReadyShare if you don't disable it. After disabling ReadyShare, the drive is visible on the network. I can read and write files to it.
There is, however, one hitch. I can not use Win 7's native backup program when the drive is plugged into the ReadyShare USB Port (I am running Windows 7 Pro; I know it is impossible to even try to do this with Win 7 Home Premium). The backup fails usually about 40% of the way through. What is key to note about this is I did not have any problem backing up an old laptop running windows XP with NT backup on this same setup! This essentially makes this some sort of software incompatibility problem, though I can't tell if it is on the Windows 7 side or the NetGear side.
Has anyone here had any experience using Windows 7 backup and WNDR 3400 or 3700 with the readyshare drive? And if so, have you experienced the same problem or have you been able to successfully use Windows 7 backup?
Message 1 of 5
rarogan
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3400 and Windows 7 Backup over Readyshare: Does it work for you?

I had the same problem. ReadyShare did not recognize my Hitachi LifeStudio external hard drive. I did not try to disable ReadyShare's software. There are no relevant instructions from Netgear that I could locate.
Message 2 of 5
truline
Aspirant

I have a similar issue, I don't know how to disable the Readyshare and I have a WD MyBook Elite 1TB drive. It appears to be compatible on the USB compatibility list from Netgear. THe problem I am running into is that I have set my backup to work on a schedule and I get error messages that it did not complete. Both of our computers are Toshiba Satellites with Intel Dual Core processors running Win 7 pro with 4gb Ram each. We are hardwired and at points the MyBook either loses it's connection or gets hung and neither computer can access the drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
hetron
Aspirant

One correction to my post, I disabled the Smartware program that came with the Western Digital Drive, not the ReadyShare/USB port on the router. Western Digital's website has instructions on how to disable Smartware (though you can never permanently delete it from the drive, you can inactivate it so it doesn't show up every time you try to access the drive) as shown here:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3835

In my case, the drive is recognized as a network drive by all three of my computers, and I can read and write files to the drive (albeit I have not tried this with very large files). My issue is specifically with Windows 7 Backup. I have used NT backup on my XP computer over ReadyShare without issues so I know this is not hardware related. It is either the Windows 7 backup software or an issue with the current issue of the firmware for the WNDR3400.

Truline, are you otherwise able to write to your hard drive when it is attached to the USB Readyshare port? Or is it, like in my case, an issue only that comes up only with the Windows 7 Backup utility?

Thanks for everyone's input.
Message 4 of 5
Bradndez
Aspirant

I have the same problem with windows backup and another problem too. Many times when I am looking through the drive or copying to/from the drive the router goes offline and resets itself. Any help would be appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E