× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400/n600 v1 see ip camera on device list, cannot access

mattmer
Tutor

WNDR3400/n600 v1 see ip camera on device list, cannot access

OK. I purchased an Ebay ip camera (360° Panoramic WiFi IP Camera E27 Light Bulb 1080P HD Wireless Security Camera | eBay). Cannot seem to connect to it. I've tried the ip address i see in the router (10.0.0.7), but nothing. That's where I'm at now. Tried usnig the steup instructions (Camera instructions (NEW) - YCC365 PLUS), but nada. I've turned the camera off and onmany times and only about 4 of those times did the ptz whirl around, stop and voiced something. Any ideas out there? I'm not a network/ip guy, just enough to get in deep trouble.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mattmer
Tutor

Re: WNDR3400/n600 v1 see ip camera on device list, cannot access

The velop. All is working ok now. I got the camera added and installed. Just kept resetting the camera and trying. All so confusing.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. you have the WNDR3400. what firmware is on it? 
2. What modem/gatweay is the router connected to? 

3. Its not the router that connects to the camera. Its the camera that connects to the router. If you're having issues getting it connected, try contacting the manufacturer

Message 2 of 8

The original WNDR3400 is pretty old, from 2010. So it isn't really geared up for the onslaught of Internet of Things (IoT) toys that have appeared since then.

But, as @plemans says, you should start with the camera. The router just puffs out wifi. It is then down to the camera to play ball.

Cannot seem to connect to it. I've tried the ip address i see in the router (10.0.0.7), but nothing.

If your router has given itself that address, rather than the default of 192.168.1.1, I'd look for a modem/router on front of it. If so, you can expect trouble.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 8
mattmer
Tutor

decided to upgrade router first with asus ac5300. As for camera, it was not resetting when powered on so could not add device. It's at least doing that and is recognised randomly. Good point is it's a camera problem though. I'll keep at it until ...

Message 4 of 8
mattmer
Tutor

While I was checking out the new router, I gave this problem a new look. Turns out I've got a linksys Velop WHW03 router in front of the netgear. Now I have to figure a way to get a passthrough to connect to the netgear. I could connect to the velop but I want to view the camera on my desktop too. Back to the books. Evidently Phone guy came in and added this because our TV was having problems connecting to internet. I'm getting older and some things get lost in the cracks.

Message 5 of 8

@mattmer wrote:

Turns out I've got a linksys Velop WHW03 router in front of the netgear. Now I have to figure a way to get a passthrough to connect to the netgear.

The usual options when dealing with this "double NAT" situation is either to out the first router, the Velop WHW03 into bridge (modem only) mode, or the second router, the Netgear, into wireless access point (AP) mode. The manual tells you how to do that.

Talk of "passthrough" mode, whatever you mean by that, is probably a red herring.

I could connect to the velop but I want to view the camera on my desktop too.

Follow the strategy above and you will have just one router managing the traffic on your network. Then everything on your network should appear on whatever you use to access it.

Evidently Phone guy came in and added this because our TV was having problems connecting to internet.

What is the "this" that the phone guy added?

Message 6 of 8
mattmer
Tutor

The velop. All is working ok now. I got the camera added and installed. Just kept resetting the camera and trying. All so confusing.

Message 7 of 8

@mattmer wrote:

That's good.

Cameras cause more problems than most of these Internet of Things (IoT) toys. Mostly this seems to be because the people who make them are no good at writing software for connecting their cameras. Then people turn round and blame their network devices for no good reason.

Then again, the WNDR3400 is an ageing range of routers that dates back to 2010, before the flood of IoT things.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7