Re: WNDR3400v2 - Can't Connect

mrbobharrislot
Aspirant

WNDR3400v2 - Can't Connect

Using a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Routher WNDR3400v2 router. I haven't been able to establish a wireless connection because the ethernet cable is not being recognized in the router even though it can detect my internet connection (Comcast cable using a Scientific Atlanta DPC 2100R2 cable modem.). I have turned off my firewall and my anti-virus protection and the router still can't be detected. I have followed every instruction in the installation guide. I have done numerous specific Google searches, read multiple solutions, tried them and failed with every one. The only conclusion I can gather is that something is wrong with my computer or modem. Can anyone help me or is my only hope calling a Comcast technician?

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : betzfarm
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-17-8D-44
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 174.54.193.222
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 174.54.192.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.75.10
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.76.76
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 22, 2012 5:03:55 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:50:11 PM
Message 1 of 4
readysecure1985
Aspirant

Are you getting a connection to the internet when your computer is connected directly to the Scientific Atlanta modem?
If you do I would suggest powering everything down, wiring everything up the way you want it for setup, and then powering everything back up one at a time starting with the modem, then the router, and then the computer. Let every item power up all the way before you move to the next device.
If you don't get a connection connecting directly to the modem, you should probably call your Comcast.
Message 2 of 4
mrbobharrislot
Aspirant

Sorry the late response ... I am getting a connection when I connect directly to the Scientific Atlanta modem. I used your method and I still didn't have a connection so I think I'll call Comcast.

Thanks for your response though. I appreciate it.
Message 3 of 4
mrbobharrislot
Aspirant

Hey guys, I figured it out! The yellow Ethernet cable that came with my WNDR3400 was the problem. It wouldn't properly connect with my modem. So I just replaced it with a spare Ethernet cable, did a cold start-up as readysecure1985 suggested and VOILA! I was up and running with wireless Internet.

Readysecure1985, thank you very much for your help. I just don't understand why the yellow Ethernet cable that came with my router wouldn't work with my modem and yet a generic Ethernet cable that I had laying around would. If anyone could answer that for me, I'd surely be interested to know. Regardless, I'm happy to have wireless! Runs like a dream!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements