× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400v2 "AP mode" switch missing after firmware update to 1.0.0.52

JWHIII
Tutor

WNDR3400v2 "AP mode" switch missing after firmware update to 1.0.0.52

AP mode switch used to be under Advanced- Advanced Setup- Wirless Settings. It is no longer there. The articles I have found while searching the Netgear site say it will auto detect that it is behind another router and ask to setup AP mode, it doesnt auto detect. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDR3400v2 "AP mode" switch missing after firmware update to 1.0.0.52

Use LAN to LAN instead of LAN to WAN.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @JWHIII

Latest firmware does not support Wireless Repeating functionality.
NETGEAR has removed the repeating functionality due to security vulnerability since it will only allow you to use WEP.

The only way to get it back is to use the previous firmware that supports it.

Message 2 of 9
JWHIII
Tutor

Access Point mode has nothing to do with wireless repeating, and the latest firmware added wireless repeating functionality that wasn't there before. Since firmware update, the WNDR3400 insists on being a router and having seperate WAN and LAN subnets even though it is behind another router and firewall. This makes it worthless to me since the update and I will be replacing the firmware with older version from netgear or DD-WRT.

Message 3 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize about that.

You may want to just disable the DHCP server of the router and assign a static IP under Advanced > LAN Setup

This is the same as AP mode.

Message 4 of 9
JWHIII
Tutor

It won't allow me to set the appropriate ip in LAN settings because it is in the same subnet as the WAN. This is what AP mode or DHCP forwarding gets you around.
Message 5 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Use LAN to LAN instead of LAN to WAN.

Message 6 of 9
Drencor
Initiate

Personally this issue should be directly addressed by the firmware development team.  Since this option was technically a selling point for this router to be used as a AP and have 4 usable Gigabit Ethernet ports along with the WAN port being used as the uplink port to the rest of the network.

Removing a key feature is not a good idea as one many people take this as a bait and switch.  Get a customer to buy a product and then remove key features/usability of the product.

As the firmware 1.0.0.52 removed the AP Mode it also removed "Wireless Card Access List" which was just below the AP mode area.  Which a lot of security people as a second layer of security also add in the allowed devices into this area as well.

Please pass on to the development team to restore "AP Mode" and "Wireless Card Access List".

Thank you.

Message 7 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Drencor Thank you for that input. I'll let them know about it.

Regarding the Wireless Card Access List, it has been replaced by Access Control which can be found under Advanced > Security

Message 8 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm afraid that there will be no engineering resource that will be working on a firmware update.

There will be no future updates expected for this WNDR3400v2.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7