× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400v3 — N600 Wireless Dual Band Router Firmware update problem

The_Tick
Aspirant

WNDR3400v3 — N600 Wireless Dual Band Router Firmware update problem

I'm trying to update FW on my router (last step before replacing entirely) as I keep having problems with outbound audio during web conferences.

Device is WNDR3400v3 — N600 Wireless Dual Band Router, circa 2013.

I see that a FW update is available, but when I download the zip file I get only a readme html file and a .chk "recovered file fragments" file.  I confirmed from the Genie interface that I do have a good wired and wireless internet connection, but when I try to search for the update from there, it takes about 5 minutes and tells me no internet connection found.  It sounds like the FW file on the website may be corrupted.

Currently installed FW is v1.0.0.38-1.0.40, and per the zip file name, the latest is 1.0.1.44-1.0.71.  Is there a place I can find a recent FW update file that isn't corrupted?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: WNDR3400v3 — N600 Wireless Dual Band Router Firmware update problem

@The_Tick wrote:

I haven't attempted to apply the .chk file because the extension description suggests that the file may have problems.  It is not a .img file. 

For unknown reasons, Netgear uses both .img and .chk as file extensions for firmware.

These are both open to confusion because there are other types of .img and .chk file – .img is a disk image and seems to confuse macs in particular while .chk is also a Windows "recovered file fragments" file.

Firmware for the WNDR3400v3 is, indeed, a .chk file.

WNDR3400v3 Firmware Version 1.0.1.44 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Also, the manual shows a screen shot of the page where there are options to check online or upload from PC, but it only describes the check online option, which isn't working.

You need to read a bit more of the manual. It also describes the manual process in the section Upgrade the Router Firmware. But it wrongly tells you to look for an img file. That's what you get when you copy and paste between manuals.

The manual may get things wrong, but the update process will protect you and prevent you from applying the wrong firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Are you extracting the file? 

the .chk file or an .img file is what you upload to the router through the manual update process. 

Just a point to make, you don't open the .chk file, you upload it to the router through the web interface as instructed in the manual. did you do this?

Message 2 of 8
The_Tick
Aspirant

I haven't attempted to apply the .chk file because the extension description suggests that the file may have problems.  It is not a .img file.  If the file is busted, I'm also concerned I may not be able to roll back to an earlier firmware version (which seems to be working most of the time).  Also, the manual shows a screen shot of the page where there are options to check online or upload from PC, but it only describes the check online option, which isn't working.

Message 3 of 8

@The_Tick wrote:

I haven't attempted to apply the .chk file because the extension description suggests that the file may have problems.  It is not a .img file. 

For unknown reasons, Netgear uses both .img and .chk as file extensions for firmware.

These are both open to confusion because there are other types of .img and .chk file – .img is a disk image and seems to confuse macs in particular while .chk is also a Windows "recovered file fragments" file.

Firmware for the WNDR3400v3 is, indeed, a .chk file.

WNDR3400v3 Firmware Version 1.0.1.44 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Also, the manual shows a screen shot of the page where there are options to check online or upload from PC, but it only describes the check online option, which isn't working.

You need to read a bit more of the manual. It also describes the manual process in the section Upgrade the Router Firmware. But it wrongly tells you to look for an img file. That's what you get when you copy and paste between manuals.

The manual may get things wrong, but the update process will protect you and prevent you from applying the wrong firmware.

Message 4 of 8

@The_Tick wrote:

Currently installed FW is v1.0.0.38-1.0.40

That is also a chk file.

Message 5 of 8
The_Tick
Aspirant

Thanks.  I'll try it now and reply again afterward.

Message 6 of 8
The_Tick
Aspirant

Successfully updated firmware.  Now to see if that has resolved the intermittent connectivity and audio issues I've observed...

Message 7 of 8

That's good news.

But don't expect a lot. The WNDR3400v3 dates back to 2014 with the first version in 2010.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7