• 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR3400v3 as access points with Comcast modem/router

I've inherited a network in a two-story church building and I'd like to make some improvements in the setup. At present there are two WNDR3400v3 units, one upstairs and one down, hardwired through a switch to a Comcast modem/router, which is downstairs in our office. (Note: our setup is pretty similar to what @wwitten described in this post, and I have some of the same issues reported there.)

The modem/router is a model DPC3941B, supposedly made by Technicolor (??), though it looks like an Arris to me; Comcast issued it to us in the past year or so, and so the NetGear units were configured (to the extent they were configured at all) to work with the previous modem, which I believe was not also a wifi router.

So--AFAIK the WNDR3400v3 units were taken out of the box and set up with factory defaults, certainly in terms of the network names & passwords. One thing that has always been a pain is the default network names ("NETGEARxx") are completely meaningless and no one can ever remember which password goes with which.

What I'd like is for all three of these routers to work together as if they were one network, so that our users only see one SSID and need to know one password. I'm not clear on how to configure them to do that, however, hence this post. Maybe this isn't possible given the different manufacturers, etc.; but might it be possible with at least between the two NetGear units? Clearly I could just set them all to have the same SSID and password, but I'm pretty sure that's not the best way to do this... The building has masonry walls so none of the routers has great coverage, but there is some overlap between the three.

Thanks for any pointers.

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Sensei

Re: WNDR3400v3 as access points with Comcast modem/router

> [...] AFAIK the WNDR3400v3 units were taken out of the box and set up
> with factory defaults, certainly in terms of the network names &
> passwords. One thing that has always been a pain is the default network
> names ("NETGEARxx") are completely meaningless and no one can ever
> remember which password goes with which.

It certainly makes sense to configure the add-on WNDR3400v3 units as
wireless access points, and to choose more suggestive SSID names.

> [...] our users only see one SSID and need to know one password.

You can use the same wireless-network passphrase everywhere.

I'd run the experiment on using the same SSID names everywhere.
Without a purpose-designed "mesh" system, I would not bet on a wandering
client device getting handed off from one WAP to another as it wanders,
but you might not care.  With different SSID names, at least you can
reliably assign blame when something goes wrong.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "AP Mode".

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

you can also follow this support article on the changing ssid/password. LIke @antinode said though, your devices aren't going to roam like a mesh system but at least you'll have the same ssid/password for those devices.
https://kb.netgear.com/23439/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-s-WiFi-password-or-network-name-SSID
CAX80->GS716v2->RBR50->RBS50-RBS40V-RBS50Y
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

OK, great, thanks--I will experiment with access point mode; I knew that was somewhere in the advanced settings but couldn't find it. And I'll also try using the same SSID and passphrase at all points--you're right that while it won't be a true mesh system, it may work well enough for our purposes.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
Aspirant

Thank you for the tips!

Message 5 of 5