• 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR3400v3 will not assign IP address to new Epson printer

Hello:  My router shows an IP address assigned to the printer, but printer will not connect to network.  Epson support says it's a router issue.  Router support is paid only, so am looking to community in desperation.  I've read other answers in this forum and they are way too complicated for me - I'm not a network administrator or anywhere close, and don't know how to manually assign different IP addresses.  Afraid I will dismantle the whole system.

I've turned router, computer, and printer on and off several times; rebooted the router; and am just out of knowledge and ideas at this point.  

Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Re: WNDR3400v3 will not assign IP address to new Epson printer

Is the network interface enabled on the printer and is it configured to obtain an IP address dynamically (i.e. DHCP)?

Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've looked at every menu on the printer (in Settings) and cannot find this answer.  I did a network connection check and it says it is OK.

Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

What is your Epson's model number?

Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Master

Did you install the software on to your computers and other mobile devices Epson needs the software installed before the computers can use a wifi or usb connected printer?

Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

It is the Epson XP-640

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, spent about an hour on the phone with Epson support, got all the software, drivers, etc installed.  Still wouldn't work, so they said is a router issue.

Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

For reference, the online manual for the Epson XP-640 is here.  You will want to follow the instructions under Wi-Fi Networking > Wi-Fi Instrastructure Mode Setup > Selecting Wireless Network Settings from the Control Panel.

Briefly, they are the following:

1. On the printer, press the Home button
  2. Use the arrow buttons to select Wi-Fi Setup and press OK
  3. Select Wi-Fi Setup and OK
  4. Use the up and down arrow buttons and select your Wi-Fi network and press OK
  5. Enter your Wi-Fi password and then select Done

This should connect your printer to the network.  Follow the instructions in the Start Here guide to set up the drivers on your computer to make a wireless connection to the printer.  Make sure that no USB cable is connected to the printer.

Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you - have already tried that - several times.  

Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

You stated that the router shows an IP address assigned to the printer.  Can you ping that address from a computer?

Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm afraid I have no idea how to do that.  This may be beyond my limited ability.  May have to hire someone to look at it - would cost more than the printer did!

Thank you for the suggestions - I do appreciate it.

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Master

when you load and run the epson printer software you must select add net work printer then the printer you have and the computer will be connected to the printer each connected device shears the printer and must run epson printer software. Since you have a static ip address for the printer your half way there.

Message 12 of 12