WNDR3700 ATT DSL and Speedstream 4100 speed problem

SurgeonB
Novice

WNDR3700 ATT DSL and Speedstream 4100 speed problem

I have had a problem with my NG 3700 router and will be giving up on trying to fix it today (will purchase another router) however I thought I would post this so if a fix ever gets found, others might benefit from it.

In summary with my setup I have been getting approx 20-30% download speeds and have hoad no luck in fixing the problem despite working for over a week with Netgear customer service and getting a new unit from them.

I have ATT DSL with a Speedstream 4100 modem and I get around 1500Kbs download speeds. If I have my Linksys wrt54gs hooked up, I get approx 1200-1400 KBS download speeds to my ethernet connection, but if I hook up the Netgear I get 100-400kbs speeds. I get the same reduced speeds with wireless signals and if the wireless function is turned off, I still have reduced ethernet speeds. I have up to date firmware including a clean re flash of the firmware. I have tried to adjust modem settings and router settings so that the login resides on either piece of equipment without success. I have tried to change mtu size, I have turned off UPnP and traffic meter functions, I have switched cables, I have reset all devices (modem and router) and re input settings, all without change. I have used the netgear installation wizard disc and have tried manually configuring the router without change. All lights on modem and router are appropriate and I don,t believe this is a disconnection problem as I am not getting time outs.

I have scoured the internet and this site for solutions. I have found similar sporatic problems from other DSL users but no posts have ever pointed to a solution. At present I do not have enough time to waste in trying to fix this problem on a daily basis, but if some suggestions come in at a later date, I will try them and if a solution is found I will post back on this site for the benefit of others.

I thank anyone in advance for solutions
Message 1 of 23
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR3700 ATT DSL and Speedstream 4100 speed problem

I have tried to adjust modem settings and router settings so that the login resides on either piece of equipment without success.

you always want DSL in bridge mode and PPPoE on router side no that this is direct issues but 2cents. Also login on both sides will not work.. only one PPPoE wether you let DSL modem in router mode and use PPPoE or bridge mode and let router do PPPoE. it's either one and not both Smiley Happy

you could try disable SPI or port scan & DoS ( you will find ONLY either one under wan setup)
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 23
SurgeonB
Novice

Exactly with the modem and router. I had tried both using the modem in bridged mode with appropriate settings on the router to use PPPoE ISP user and password and also set the modem to keep connection with no password kept on router...nothing changed

I tried disabling SIP and NAT filtering without change.

Interestingly I downgraded my firmware to V1.0.4.55NA and connection speeds are slightly increased to 4-600 range...still markedly decreased however.
Message 3 of 23
Simon0
Novice

What are your SpeedStream DSL stats at 192.168.0.1? SN ratio and attn values.. What speeds are you getting connecting directly to the SS4100.

AT&T is phasing out ADSL in many areas it seems, not upgrading or replacing those copper it seems, just patch them, which increases attenuation. You may need to upgrade to their Uverse HSI service.

Also you should reset everything to defaults on the wndr3700.
Message 4 of 23
BeefJerky9
Aspirant

Simply put, the ethernet port on your modem is likely dying. Been there, done that. I had the same issues with slow speeds with my SS4100 and WNDR3700. In addition, I was having issues where the WAN side of the WNDR3700 would die every 3-5 days and require a reboot of the router. Note that I didn't have speed issues when connected to a different router or directly to the computer. Long story short, I tried another WNDR3700 and had the same issues. I then picked up an inexpensive refurbished SpeedStream 4100b from Fry's Electronics. After replacing the modem I had proper speeds. I addition, I no longer experienced the issues with the WAN side of the router going down. I've now had the replacement modem router going strong for 40+ days with no reboots and no slowdowns, so the modem was definitely bad. My theory is that the ethernet port on the 4100 was no longer working within proper ethernet specifications (and would really go crazy every 3-5 days). In addition, it seems that the WAN port on the WNDR3700 is simply more sensitive to out-of-spec ethernet devices than some other routers, which is why it has the speed issues. At any rate, I'd recommend trying a replacement modem since they are quite inexpensive. Plus, the 4100b has some improvements over the 4100. Hope this helps!
Message 5 of 23
jlewter
Guide

You guys both overlooked what the op said..
netgear speed = 10-30% of what the best router in the world does...
( I lub my wrt54g, did U know you can add usb ports to it? )..

Anyhow...
Have you tried changing the MTU?.. And are you testing via a wired or wireless connection.. I would try via wired connections between pc and router just to rule out wireless issues.

To change the MTU then log into the netgear, scroll down to WAN setup and put it in there. I would set a mtu of about 1400 and see if things ramp up a lot. If they do then you can visit http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793 to tweak the MTU settings.
Message 6 of 23
Simon0
Novice

Just looked at my SS4100a, I hope you have the SS4100b...

I had so many issues with the SS4100a when AT&T changed some of the setting at the RT/DSLAM.. They wanted me to purchase a 2wire or a Moto2210 at the time. Anyhow, I took a chance and cross-flashed it to a generic Speedstrem 4200 firmware which updated the data-pump microcode and it has run reliably for years. There are 4 to choose from, BigPond, Siemen-Open, Optus, or TranACT if you search google. However you WILL lose AT&T tech support if you have issues w/ the cross-flashed firmware and you CAN kill the modem permanently. I have a 2wire I use for diagnostics/backup though. Try using a different DSL modem to see if it's the SS4100 as it is quite old...
Message 7 of 23
BeefJerky9
Aspirant

jlewter wrote:
You guys both overlooked what the op said..
netgear speed = 10-30% of what the best router in the world does...
( I lub my wrt54g, did U know you can add usb ports to it? )..

No, I did not overlook what the OP said. I was experiencing the same symptoms, and my MTU was not the problem. Nor was any other setting on the router or modem. The issues were solely due to the bad ethernet port on the modem.
Message 8 of 23
Insidious
Novice

Does anyone have this setup configured correctly?

I just bought a WNDR37AV (that's what it says on the box, but it says 3700 on the device and in the setup page) a few weeks ago, I need to know if I need to exchange it or buy something else.

My setup:
-AT&T DSL ELite (6Mbps)
-NetGear WNDR37AV/3700
-Siemens SpeedStream 4100

Connecting straight to the DSL modems gets me about 4.5-5Mbps but connecting through Router, I get a pathetic 0.1-0.6Mbps.

I have tried:
-Switching cables
-Set to 'Does not need login info' on router
-reset to factory
-messed with MTU (1500 then to 1492)

I don't get any connection drops, but I would like to know how the hell to fix this or if anyone has a similar setup to mine and SurgeonB's that works?

I have setup 3 other Netgear modems without any problems (but they were cable). I don't want to have to leave NetGear, but will do what I must.

Any similar routers to the 37AV/00?
Message 9 of 23
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

make sure 4100 is in bridge mode... you can call ISP on how to ..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 23
jlewter
Guide

Try lowering MTU a bit more. Try it on 1400 JUST TO SEE what kind of values you get. Dont forget to speed test everything using wired connections, this removes the possibility of wireless configuration problems.

I also agree that switching from router mode to bridge mode should see some performance increase.
Message 11 of 23
Insidious
Novice

OK, how I had it first was that the DSL modem was configured how it comes when you're only connecting one comupter (Non Briged I guess). And so I On the router side, I left the option "Does Your Internet Require a Log In?" -> Yes and had my Login Info.

I changed it to No as per these instructions:http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/223

So after I found this thread, and shortly after I replied, I put the DSL Modem in Bridge mode as per these instructions: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401538

And now my router has my login information, and the issue remains.

Most of my devices are wired: PC, PS3, Dish DVR, XBox
Wireless: Wii, another PC, and some iPhones

I guess I'll have to disconnect each one and see. I don't think it's any of the wireless since I tried with the factory settings.

Curiously, searching the web reveals that a few people have this problem with AT&T and NetGear Routers, but no solution so far (for me anyway).

I'll also bring out my old LinkSys router, which this NetGear Router was meant to replace and note any differences.

Sorry but is 37AV and the 3700 the same thing? If not someone oews me a refund.

Thanks again.
Message 12 of 23
jlewter
Guide

jlewter wrote:
Try lowering MTU a bit more. Try it on 1400 JUST TO SEE what kind of values you get. Dont forget to speed test everything using wired connections, this removes the possibility of wireless configuration problems.

I also agree that switching from router mode to bridge mode should see some performance increase.

Yes they are the exact same device at the moment.
Did you try MTU at the level I suggested?
Message 13 of 23
Insidious
Novice

Forgive me, I just saw this in regards to 3700 =? 37AV. The answer is yes: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=52714&page=31
Message 14 of 23
BeefJerky9
Aspirant

Did you try a different modem? Long story short, the 4100 seems to have a lot of issues with the ethernet port that certain routers are more sensitive to (such as the WNDR3700/37AV. Get yourself a newer 4100b (Fry's Electronics has refurbished ones for $30) and you'll likely solve your issue.
Message 15 of 23
Insidious
Novice

jlewter wrote:
Yes they are the exact same device at the moment.
Did you try MTU at the level I suggested?

Yeah, I only saw a slight improvement.

Beefjerky, then why do I get fullspeed when I connect directly? So the 4100b works with the 3700/AV? How do I know if I have 4100a or b? Is there an a?

Is there another modem you recommend, there is no Fry's were I live.

Thanks for your help.
Message 16 of 23
BeefJerky9
Aspirant

Beefjerky, then why do I get fullspeed when I connect directly? So the 4100b works with the 3700/AV? How do I know if I have 4100a or b? Is there an a?

Simply put, I had the same issue with a 4100. I got full speed when connected directly, or even through an older Netgear router. My theory is that my 4100's ethernet port was bad and out-of-spec. In addition, I suspect that the WNDR3700 is simply more sensitive to out-of-spec ethernet than some other network devices. Note that this is just my guess, but it seems like the best explanation. Either way, the culprit was clearly the modem and not the router in my case. Besides, you can always return the modem if it doesn't fix the problem.

Oh, and I agree with others to use the modem in bridge mode and let the router do the PPPoE. My experience shows that when letting the modem do PPPoE (and therefore NAT), it can get easily overloaded with large amounts of connections (i.e. torrents). I let my much, much, much more powerful WNDR3700 do the the PPPoE and NAT.

Check the label on the bottom of your modem. If it doesn't have the "b" than it is the original version. There was no "a" version, just 4100 and 4100b. The 4100b has some improvements in DSL line quality, amongst other improvements.
Message 17 of 23
BeefJerky9
Aspirant

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw the last question in Insidious' post and I cannot find a way to edit my prior post.
Is there another modem you recommend, there is no Fry's were I live.
I honestly do not recommend a different modem, as I've seen and read about too many issues with other brands of modems. However, you can order the 4100b from Fry's website.
Message 18 of 23
Insidious
Novice

Ran over to Best Buy and picked up an Actiontec DSL Modem (GT701D) for about $55.

Swapped out the ol' Speedstream and it worked; I have my expected connection speed.

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to help. I'm glad I didn't have to chuck my router!
Message 19 of 23
BeefJerky9
Aspirant

Glad the replacement modem worked for you! I'm also kind of glad to know that I am not the only one who had a problem with the ethernet port on the 4100.
Message 20 of 23
Simon0
Novice

Insidious wrote:
Ran over to Best Buy and picked up an Actiontec DSL Modem (GT701D) for about $55.

Swapped out the ol' Speedstream and it worked; I have my expected connection speed.

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to help. I'm glad I didn't have to chuck my router!
I wonder why you do not purchase an AT&T supported ADSL modem or gateway?

I personally do not like AT&T's Moto 2210, however there newest rev. is said to be MUCH more reliable (no overheat issues). The 2Wires are EXCELLENT as well, in bridge mode that is, some of their AC adapters were bad, newer models had higher mAH rating. From my understanding, you had better have a working 2wire/Moto2210 before they'd even give you support. Even the SpeedStreams are less supported now if you have issues with your line as they'll sometimes blame the modem's "age".
Message 21 of 23
xusnflyer
Aspirant

Yes, please, if anyone has a 3700 router connected to the Speedstream 4100 I would sincerely appreciate your assistance. And I have picked up one thing AT&T told that was wrong, they want you to have your login/pw in the modem and the router, so I think that was one major problem. Pardon this, but it is for my mother's house so I don't have to play musical cords between her desktop and my laptop when I visit.

Please, if you can post the instructions or email me directly, whichever you would prefer. I love my Netgear products, in fact, she has my previous router as I upgraded to the WNDR4000 and am loving it!!! Thanks in advance for any and all help you can provide!!!

Xusnflyer
"Fly Navy":cool:

Insidious wrote:
Does anyone have this setup configured correctly?

I just bought a WNDR37AV (that's what it says on the box, but it says 3700 on the device and in the setup page) a few weeks ago, I need to know if I need to exchange it or buy something else.

My setup:
-AT&T DSL ELite (6Mbps)
-NetGear WNDR37AV/3700
-Siemens SpeedStream 4100

Connecting straight to the DSL modems gets me about 4.5-5Mbps but connecting through Router, I get a pathetic 0.1-0.6Mbps.

I have tried:
-Switching cables
-Set to 'Does not need login info' on router
-reset to factory
-messed with MTU (1500 then to 1492)

I don't get any connection drops, but I would like to know how the hell to fix this or if anyone has a similar setup to mine and SurgeonB's that works?

I have setup 3 other Netgear modems without any problems (but they were cable). I don't want to have to leave NetGear, but will do what I must.

Any similar routers to the 37AV/00?
Message 22 of 23
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.jacksontechnical.com/article.htm?id=36

set 4100 in bridge and setup PPPoE on 3700
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM