Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 Attached Devices List Empty

In my case the list is just wrong. Devices show up with wrong IP and WLAN clients under "cabled" list etc. Eg. my iPhone is listed under "cabled". Obviously that is wrong... And also it does not have the IP the WNDR3700 list says. Amazing defect.
Message 26 of 54
Highlighted
Aspirant

All my attached device problems have been solved with the latest (V1.07.98) firmware. The traffic meter also now works and so does IPv6. So far, everything seems fine here for once. I hope it stays that way (my WND3500 used to hang on wireless every 2-6 weeks and needed a reset; the 3700 has never done that yet here, but I'll still be weary until I've seen it running solid for over a month straight.)
Message 27 of 54
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 Attached Devices List Empty - yet another one

I get the same thing. I can log into the router but it does not list any of the devices on the network. These are direct devices, some dhcp and some static but at least the ones the router is giving DHCP address to should show up I think.
This is very disturbing, because it says it would list even wireless intruders but it doesn't detect anything, not even the very computer it gave dhcp address to that I am viewing the wireless settings with... I read the post where they fiddled with the different ethernet cables attached but it should not be so buggy, and if I need to unplug everything and make sure everything is GB plugged in to even detect the wireless devices, how can I trust that going forward?
Message 28 of 54
Highlighted
Aspirant

Get the latest firmware. It (1.07.98). It fixes everything.
Message 29 of 54
Highlighted
Aspirant

VonMagnum wrote:

I bought this router 2 days ago, had the updates apply automatically, and it still has all of the problems this original poster described. I have a mix of wired and wireless devices. Sometimes some of them do not show up and sometimes some of them show up on the list and others don't. What kind of problems does this cause me?
    Message 30 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

I'm amazed the automatic updates even worked. Are you sure it updated to the latest? I've had zero problems with the 1.07.98 update. I've had it running 24/7 for months with zero issues.
    Message 31 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

I found auto-updates were NOT working in firmware 1.0.0.8 on my Australian 3700v2. I had to manually update to 1.0.0.10. Hopefully this will solve all of the problems.
    Message 32 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

VonMagnum wrote:

No it does not. I've had this router for about a year, and the 1.07.98 since release day, and my "Attached Devices" list is empty. In fact it has been worse on this firmware. I used to have items in that list under prior firmware, but no more. Furthermore, it hardly ever logs any traffic any more. I have a teenage boy in the house, and I need to know when he hits up "inappropriate" websites or is using FB in the middle of the night. Apparently I'l have to dump this POS router to do so. :mad:
    Message 33 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Maevinn wrote:
    No it does not. I've had this router for about a year, and the 1.07.98 since release day, and my "Attached Devices" list is empty. In fact it has been worse on this firmware. I used to have items in that list under prior firmware, but no more. Furthermore, it hardly ever logs any traffic any more. I have a teenage boy in the house, and I need to know when he hits up "inappropriate" websites or is using FB in the middle of the night. Apparently I'l have to dump this POS router to do so. :mad:

Believe whatever you want guy, but I've been running 1.07.98 now for around 6 months with literally zero issues. It's been on 24/7 for over 5 months solid now without a power off or reset and I just logged on again just before replying here and all seven of my currently attached devices are showing up and in the proper column. I checked my traffic monitoring I've had running and it's all up to date and looks accurate based on the downloading I've been doing.

NONE of those things worked before the update to 1.07.98 here. I had empty attached device lists all the time (a reset would restore it temporarily and within a day or two it would stop working and be empty) and traffic monitoring didn't even work at all. I had another Netgear router before this one and it needed reset every couple of months or wireless would stop working for unknown reasons. But it's been literally flawless on this router after the update. I has been powered off a couple of times early on for testing purposes so it's not some freak accident. Most people I've seen report back on it had most, if not all of their functions working after this update (a few obscure things came up).

Perhaps something else is off on your unit? Is your firmware the NA version or the world version? Mine is for North America. I have no idea how any other versions might work. Are you certain that is the V1 hardware? They haven't made that unit in some time and most of the stock out there is V2 (uses different firmware so I doubt it, but clearly something else must be different in your case since this is stable for almost everyone else). Perhaps something else in your setup of the unit is different (thus triggering a buggered behavior)? What encryption type are you using? I have WPA2-PSK only, for example, on both radios.

Otherwise, I guess you can return the "POS" and go buy another potential POS that has its own problems because they all seem to suck anymore. I tried a Belkin unit before this one because I was sick of the problems of having to reset my last Netgear unit and it was freaking AWFUL. I couldn't even reserve network addresses for my various computers and devices, leaving many network applications wondering where the heck they were since they were set up with hard addresses (some devices won't even let you give them a name). The Belkin also had a poor signal downstairs (range wasn't even close to the Netgear). Back it went and after failing to find any better alternatives that were both stable and had good range, home came another Netgear router (range is a bit further than the last model). Thankfully, it's now perfectly stable here.
    Message 34 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

VonMagnum wrote:

Not. Same issue, and I've had this firmware for quite some time.
    Message 35 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

I also had this problem (empty attached devices list), and I just went out and downloaded the beta version of the 1.0.0.10 firmware. So far it seems to be working... might be worth a try. Head out to the netgear support site and download:

WNDR3700v2 Firmware Version 1.0.0.10

It warned me that I was installing a world-wide release instead of an NA one, but it seems OK.

The name of the file downloaded was "WNDR3700v2-V1.0.0.10-dns-hang", with a modified date of 9/24/11 so it seems that it might address this issue directly...?

HTH
    Message 36 of 54
    Highlighted
    Novice

i was having the attached devices not showing up on the wndr3700-v1 i installed the beta firmware V1.0.16.98-dnsNA and my devices now show up again Smiley Happy
    Message 37 of 54
    Highlighted
    Apprentice

reese_logan wrote:
    i was having the attached devices not showing up on the wndr3700-v1 i installed the beta firmware V1.0.16.98-dnsNA and my devices now show up again Smiley Happy

Let's see how long this lasts. What were you running before the dnsNA upgrade?
    1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
    Message 38 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

I have a WNDR3700v2 running 1.0.0.8. I'm having problems seeing everything attached to the router... I've got some things listed, some not. I know they're alive and working wirelessly connected, but they don't show up. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Message 39 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

When my devices are "sleeping" they often show "unknown" or not at all. I just checked and my iPhone doesn't show at all. When I swipe it on it shows up on the router screen.

-- Chuck
    Message 40 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

I have been having the same issue since I purchased my WNDR3700v1 model in June of 2010 and it has driven me nuts! I live in a subdivision with homes that are not terribly close but close enough that I can pick up wireless from 3 of my neighbors. With my old Netgear wireless router I could see the attached list and found several people that were connecting through my wireless until I locked it down tight. Obviously I wanted to see any attached devices with my new 3700 router as well. I upgraded the firmware to V1.0.7.98 when it said it was available and it did nothing. Today I "upgraded" to version V1.0.16.98-dnsNA and without changing any other settings the attached devices list immediately populated.

This seemed to counter what one would normally think since the "new" version number is below the version I had but it works now and that's all I care about.

Shaun
    Message 41 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

I have had the Router for almost 2 years and have the same problem. I am running 1.0.7.98NA. I see that there is 1.0.16.98 BETA available, but I am reluctant to load beta code when the issue is usually only an irritation, and everything else is working correctly. I have been bake to get the attached devices to show up FOR A WHILE, by turning off DHCP {apply} and then turning on DHCP {apply}. When the page refreshes after I turn it back on, the list is correctly populated. As I mentioned however, within a few days it is usually back to being blank.

Can anyone tell me the caveats of upgrading to the BETA code? Should I bother or wait until it's a GA version?

Thanks
    Message 42 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

jdewerd wrote:
    I have had the Router for almost 2 years and have the same problem. I am running 1.0.7.98NA. I see that there is 1.0.16.98 BETA available, but I am reluctant to load beta code when the issue is usually only an irritation, and everything else is working correctly. I have been bake to get the attached devices to show up FOR A WHILE, by turning off DHCP {apply} and then turning on DHCP {apply}. When the page refreshes after I turn it back on, the list is correctly populated. As I mentioned however, within a few days it is usually back to being blank.

Can anyone tell me the caveats of upgrading to the BETA code? Should I bother or wait until it's a GA version?

Thanks
    I meant to write "I have been ABLE to get the attached devices to show up..." I'm not Baked (lol)
    Message 43 of 54
    Highlighted
    Apprentice

jdewerd wrote:
    I meant to write "I have been ABLE to get the attached devices to show up..." I'm not Baked (lol)

The only downside to the new firmware is that you have to go into all your Port Forward entries and redefine them since the form fields do not copy over properly.

Other than that the latest firmware is working great. The attached devices and dns issues have been fixed. The latest download is no longer a beta.
    1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
    Message 44 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

This is NOT fixed in the latest firmware upgrade and the turn DHCP off (apply) and turn back on (apply) does not work either. I'm pretty happy with this router but as is typical and I don't care who's hardware you buy there's a flaw that has no business being there. This needs to be fixed. I need to know what devices are attached.
    Message 45 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Okay, so installing firmware v1.0.16.98NA fixes it. Why when you do a firmware update via the device itself does it say that my firmware was the latest version? This above version firmware is quite apparently NOT BETA since I can see no reference of it being so anywhere. C'mon Netgear lets get on top of things here. In order to make this work properly why do I have to manually scour your site? At least I'm happy to say it fixes the attached devices issue. Now lets hope it doesn't break something else.
    Message 46 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Sorry to revive this thread, but was this issue ever resolved? Thanks
    Sam
    Message 47 of 54
    Highlighted
    Apprentice

v1.0.16.98NA fixes it
    1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
    Message 48 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

madhatter wrote:
    v1.0.16.98NA fixes it

Thank you. I'll get and apply it. Strange to see that the newest thread is at the BOTTOM of all interactions. I would think the newest blog would be at the top. Oh well.
    Message 49 of 54
    Highlighted
    Aspirant

Roofyroo found a work-around in Jan of 2011 that does not require a power-down.

LAN Setup
    Apply

My page refreshed in about a minute, my "Attached Devices" list was no longer empty, and all 25 of my machines stayed connected when I performed it.

The log emails stop sending apparently at the same time the "Attached Devices" list goes empty. This workaround does not seem to fix that problem.
    Message 50 of 54
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    Announcements