Re: WNDR3700 Encryption and link rates after firmware upgrade

wiko
Novice

WNDR3700 Encryption and link rates after firmware upgrade

I am brand new to this forum and a very novice on routers. Bought and installed this router on last fall when I purchased a new Alienware PC and connected it via wire to the router as well as my old (now wife's) PC via wire, the laser printer via wire and my laptop wireless. Tried to set up the best security possible (but not knowing much) Anyway I had problems particularly with the laptop. Finally phoned and also paid 6 mos service (now expired) They fixed it but set it up via WEP, stating that is ok. I did make screenprints. I was going to improve on that but had lots of PC problems and finally received a replacement. Other issues came up and I never got around to it. A couple of days ago I finally logged into the rounter only to find out most of the previous set up info was missing (probably related to the replacement PC with a new address). So I used the screen prints to set it up again. It even corrected a message I received on starting my PC, regarding the attached network drive not found (it was available a little later when trying to use it. Sorry for the long background info.
Anyway, today when going into the router I was told there was this firmware update and I click on installing it. The update worked perfectly right from that screen and the router rebooted and still works. Checking though the various screen, which still has my data, I noted however WEP is missing and the speed for 2,4 is down from 130 to 54 and 5.0 from 300 to 54 and no other options are available,. The Status screen however still shows the previous settings. (may be that changes with the next re-boot.) I don't understand all this - yes I am a very novice on networks, although PC literate.- but am concernced if this means my internet speed via thr router (cable connection) is now slow.

Is this speed change a real problem and to solve both my outstanding security issue and the speed I probably should try to change it to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. Can someone please direct me where I can find appropriate guidance as to what I need to do. e.g. do I just try to change the settings on my PC or do I also have to make changes to the other PC's. I hate to have to pay for another 6 mos. service where I don't learn much to help myself and recal that last time when I had tried to use that above mentioned more secure setting but they set it up as WEP and told me that was secure enough.

Thanks for your help
wiko
Message 1 of 11
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

After upgrading firmware if you encounter peculiar problems you should factory reset the router back to defaults, then re-enter settings manually, make sure those screenprints have all the info you need.

In later firmware updates there have been changes to the way the router operates with various encryption methods in use, in particular it is now an 802.11n requirement that High Throughput is not available with WEP / TKIP encryption, you will be limited to 54Mbps maximum. Another limiting factor and also an 802.11n requirement is that QoS must be supported, so in the router pages you need to enable WMM for both frequency bands to allow throughput higher than 54Mbps.

As many others will tell you, WEP is a very weak encryption method, and you really should raise the encryption to something better, e.g. WPA2(AES).
Message 2 of 11
Devor
Luminary

Re: Thanks Netgear! <WNDR3700-V1.0.7.98NA>

The new firmware better complies with standards, so you are going to see the speed options like that. When Netgear had you set up the router, they probably used WEP because it was easier for them, not necessarily better for you.

In my opinion, there is more to it than just having the router download the firmware. See HERE for more information.

If you can, you should change the security on the router, as WEP has been broken for awhile. However, if you do change the security on the router, you will of course need to change the security on the wLAN attaching clients/devices so that they can connect. Since you said that only one laptop connects wirelessly, the entire process should be relatively fast. Longer to read, even longer to type. Smiley Happy

Screen shots are nice, but you can't copy and paste from a picture. I suggest you write down in a text file the various things you need. For example and based on your admitted "very novice" status, if you have not done so yet, change the password to log into the router. Use a strong, not word, alphanumerical password and write that down in the text file. The user name is fixed.

To do this, log into the router using your old password. Look on the left for the "Maintenance" section and click on "Set Password". Decide what you want to use and write it down in the text file. Then copy the password into the clipboard (no spaces). On the "Set Password" page enter the old, paste the new and paste the new password again, then click "Apply". You will be asked to log in again and paste the new password. Your browser may ask if you want the new password remembered, that you'll have to decide. Don't save the text file just yet, keep it open.

Now that you are logged into the router, look on the left for the "Setup" section and click on "Wireless Settings". In the resulting page, the two radio bands are listed independently, with 2.4 GHz on top and 5 GHz beneath.

Starting with the 2.4 GHz "Security Options" section, select "WPA2-PSK [AES]". Go back to the text file and decide there what passphrase you plan to use. The passphrase should be 8-63 characters or 64 hex digits, I use 64 hex digits. You can go HERE and have one randomly generated for you (do not close the page you'll need it later). Copy and then paste the passphrase to the text file and then paste into the router's passphrase field. Be sure to clear any existing text or white space before pasting into the passphrase field. You'll know you did it correctly because only 64 characters can fit, so if it's not all there, the field wasn't clean.

Next, look above at the "Wireless Network(2.4GHz b/g/n)" section and change the mode to "Up to 300 Mbps". Remember, this setting is the potential, it doesn't mean that you'll actually get that speed.

Next, look lower at the 5 GHz "Security Options" section and select "WPA2-PSK [AES]". Go back to the GRC's "Perfect Passwords" page and refresh the page. Copy and then paste the passphrase to the text file denoting that it's for the 5 GHz radio and then paste into the router's 5 GHz passphrase field. Again taking the precaution that the field is empty before pasting. The 5 GHz radio defaults to "Up to 300 Mbps". Close the GRC's "Perfect Passwords" page.

One other thing while you are on the "Wireless Settings", you'll want to make sure that the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz "Name (SSID)" are different. Call them whatever you like and make a note of their names in the relative section of the text file that you are creating. Close and save text file.

Your text file should look something like this when you're done:

Router Password: A1B2C3D4

2.4 GHz
Name (SSID): Wiko2.4
Security Options: WPA2-PSK [AES]
Passphrase: 64 hex digits

5 GHz
Name (SSID): Wiko5
Security Options: WPA2-PSK [AES]
Passphrase: 64 hex digits

As that is only an example, your text will vary. Smiley Happy

Anyway, now we need to set up the laptop so that it can connect. Your laptop should not be able to connect since you changed security on the router. So, the first thing I would do is place a COPY of the text file on a USB stick (SD card will also work). Then place the USB stick in the USB port of the laptop. On the laptop open the text file. Copy into the clipboard the 2.4 GHz passphrase, making sure to only copy just that text.

Next, at the desktop, in the Notification area (typically at the bottom-right, to the left of the clock), single click the "Internet Access" icon (the thing with the five bars that shows signal strength), to display "Wireless Network Connections". Locate the 2.4 GHz SSID of your router (eg: Wiko2.4) and click it. Windows will ask for the passphrase. Paste from the clipboard the passphrase into the field and click "Okay". You should now hopefully be able to connect to the router and ultimately to the Internet. Do the same thing for the 5 GHz band. Look for Wiko5 SSID, select it, copy/paste passphrase into field, etc. Next close the text file, decide if you want to delete it, and your are done.

I don't own a Mac, and I don't know the procedure for the Mac. I would imagine that it's something similar.

I'm writing this without the benefit of having my laptop next to me, so there may be errors or I have accidentally left something out. If I did, hopefully there is enough here that you can work it out. Or, ask. Smiley Happy
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 3 of 11
wiko
Novice

Wow, Andy and Devor, you guys are great. Thanks a million.

As to the WEP setup by the paid for help line, and them using an easy way, that is what I thought. However, it's not Netgear's fault, that I didn't use that service again before it's expiry date, as, just shortly after the set-up before I was able to phone them again and insist on help with a strong security set up as I had planned, my PC acted up. Very work and time-intensive period ending finally up in receiving a replacement PC by the end of November, after which I was on a few extended trips (the benefit of being a senior) only to get back to get things going now.

And it apears that after using the replacement PC I was using the router in a very unsecure default mode. Even my previously set up strong password was reset to the default. I have to learn a lot. LOL

Regards and thanks again.
Message 4 of 11
wiko
Novice

Oh, and Devor, my Alienware PC (company, making very powerful PC's was purchased by Dell some time ago) runs under Windows 7 - 64-bit. So no Mac O/S involved. Should have mentioned my O/S at the outset.
wiko
Message 5 of 11
wiko
Novice

Re: Thanks Netgear! <WNDR3700-V1.0.7.98NA>

Devor,

I followed your great instructions and made the changes. A little problem on the Labtop site - Dual Speed adaptor card only allowed 63 digets but it was easy to change to such at my other PC and then go back to the Laptop. Then, possibly by having had already turned off "broadcast" I only found 4 neighbours and my SSID didn't show up. I managed however to set up on the labtop my profile and having already set up a specifig IP address for it and having told the router that the Laptop's MAC address is the only wLan unit authorized all worked, i.e. the labtop now connects automatically on bootup.

Thanks again for the time you spent to detail those instructions. Now, I have to learn how to set up all those other pages on the router software to ensure there are no other security loopholes in my set-up.

Many regards,
wiko.
Message 6 of 11
wiko
Novice

@Andy and Devor
You were of great help last year and ever since I had no problems. But now I'm back with a new issue. N.B. I have since given my laptop as a gift to a needy person - will eventually buy a new one.

But I now purchased an iPad3 64Gb Wi-Fi (no G4) Turned on broadcast in routersetup and iPad shows my 2.4 and 5 networks - good signal strengh. However when entering the password (understand I should use the router password but not sure) it will not connect. I even set up the iPad name and WiFi address on the router. Still a no go and all my searches for a solution have been of no help. Probably should have posted this under a different topic, but this thread has all my info.

Hope you guys can help out.
Message 7 of 11
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Well without reading back through the thread (because I’m at work), do you have the router wireless access list enabled? If so try disabling it. Also try temporarily disabling wireless encryption to see if you can get a connection (re-enable afterwards), then try different encryption methods.
Message 8 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

suggestion is to use you WITHOUT access list first and scan the SSID from iPad and use your current passphrase.

access list (mac filter) can sometime makes hard on devices to communicate.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 11
tului
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
suggestion is to use you WITHOUT access list first and scan the SSID from iPad and use your current passphrase.

access list (mac filter) can sometime makes hard on devices to communicate.

It also adds very little security, it is more to make an end user feel safe.
I am in no way affiliated with Netgear other than as a consumer. Anything I advise may break your router and void your warranty.
Message 10 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

mac filter is not security. simply a control so using WPA2 with NO mac filter is fine.

if you use weak encryption and mac filter like WEP/ mac filter then this combination can be hacked
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation