WNDR3700 IP adresss range not allowed on Tenda Router

don544
Aspirant

WNDR3700 IP adresss range not allowed on Tenda Router

I have used this IP adress range  165.254.1.1 through .200 on this router since we had a problem with apple devices connecting to the default 192.168.1.1 ranges. They just would not connect so I just found it easier to change the range to something they could connect to.

I am in the process of adding a second network using a Tenda AC1900 Smart Dual Band router and their software claims I can not use the 165.254.1.1 range as it is not allowed on home routers, yet I have been using it on the Netgear for at least three or four years.

Has anyone had a similar problem as I do not want to go through the problem with apple devices not working again.

Yes I have posted this to Tenda also b4 you ask.

Model: WNDR3700v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: WNDR3700 IP adresss range not allowed on Tenda Router

That address range is owned by an ISP.  NTT America, to be specific.  You shouldn't use it.  You should use a RFC1918 private address range:

• 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
  • 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

[Edit: What kind of Apple devices have a problem with 192.168.1.1?  There would be a whole lot of broken networks if that were true.]

Message 2 of 4
don544
Aspirant

Every apple product ever brought into the network has not worked on the 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 set.

That includes three iphones, an ipad and a macbook, the 165 set was a suggestion from apple tech support and it worked. So we went with it and the Netgear had no problem using it on our lan, so now we go to set up the Tenda in another home and as it is so far away I just tried to set up with the same IP adress etc and the Tenda refuses to use it. I was aware that there were three sets of adress's set aside for private lan use and what they were, however as the suggested IP from apple worked and it worked on every other router I have setup until now I never gave it any thought untill now. Thought I would just ask if anyone else had ever run into a router that was locked down to these sets.

I have several setup with it of various brands and various software including dd-wrt this is the first to deny use of that set. Thank you for your reply though.

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

@don544 wrote:

Every apple product ever brought into the network has not worked on the 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 set.

That includes three iphones, an ipad and a macbook,

Then there is something going on with your network, probably routing or NAT related.  Apple products have no problems using 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255.  I'm writing this from a Macbook with IP address in that range.

Is your network set up as Internet--Tenda--WNDR3700--Apple Devices?  Is there anything else in your network that is relevant to mention?

Is the WNDR3700 set up as an Access Point or as a router? Hint: your answer should be "Access Point."

What is the IP subnet between the Tenda and the WNDR3700?

the 165 set was a suggestion from apple tech support and it worked.

I'm still trying to understand what's going on here but, on the surface, Apple either gave you bad advice or you misheard them.  It's bad advice because you should never use a global IP address range owned by someone else in your home network.  It may not really amount to any harm but it's bad practice.  Or maybe you misheard them and they told you to use 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255.  Maybe you heard a "5" when Apple said "9".  This is a link local address range and can be used in specialized situations, but there should be no need to resort to this.  It's better to fix the real problem.  Hopefully, we can figure it out rather than perpetuate a bad practice.

So we went with it and the Netgear had no problem using it on our lan, so now we go to set up the Tenda in another home and as it is so far away I just tried to set up with the same IP adress etc and the Tenda refuses to use it.

Did you move the Tenda router from the first home to the second home, or are you setting up a new Tenda router?

I was aware that there were three sets of adress's set aside for private lan use and what they were, however as the suggested IP from apple worked and it worked on every other router I have setup until now I never gave it any thought untill now. Thought I would just ask if anyone else had ever run into a router that was locked down to these sets.

Many consumer routers won't work properly with anything but private IP addresses, including Netgear.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E