WNDR3700 Intermittent Internet Connectivity

blyons45
Aspirant

WNDR3700 Intermittent Internet Connectivity

Hi,
I have a WNDR 3700 router. I have a fairly routine setup with both Static Ips and DHCP for those devices that I haven't assigned yet. The problem I'm having is intermittent and beyond frustrating. What is happening is I will boot up my hard wired computer and I will get on the internet and quickly thereafter I lose connection. My ISP Time Warner told me correctly to try to isolate the issue to see if it is the router or the cable modem. To do this I have to turn off my computer, turn off the router, turn off the cable modem, wire my pc right to the cable modem, start the cable modem and then my computer and see if it connects. Well it does but I'm changing the environment so with all the reboots that to me it is not a "apples to apples" test. Anyhow this does seem to work. Time Warner has come in twice to check my line and assured me both times that I have a good signal. I am at the end of my rope. I have:

The latest firmware
Replaced my WNDR3700 router since it was still under warranty.
Replaced my Netgear Nic card to a better Intel Nic card.
Replaced the cable from my computer to the router.
Reconfigured my router thinking that my configuration file got somehow corrupted..

Nothing is working.

It is not just this hardwired computer that I'm having the problem with but with all my wireless devices as well. Works some times and not at all.
I have contacted Netgear Support and had a long long support incident but no one has been able to fix this issue. They were helpful but I do have one gripe...I never had the same support engineer twice and that was frustrating. Anyhow I'm hoping I can go to the 'Grass Roots" and see if I can get this fixed. I've always been a big Netgear fan and still am.
Message 1 of 6
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: WNDR3700 Intermittent Internet Connectivity

It isn't clear whether you have the WNDR3700v1 or v2. Regardless, the v2 seemed to have had more issues than the v1. Netgear recently released some beta firmware for both versions. You could search these forum threads and see if others have had a similar issue, and how the beta firmware is working for them.
Message 2 of 6
shadysprings
Aspirant

blyons45 wrote:
Hi,
I have a WNDR 3700 router. I have a fairly routine setup with both Static Ips and DHCP for those devices that I haven't assigned yet. The problem I'm having is intermittent and beyond frustrating. What is happening is I will boot up my hard wired computer and I will get on the internet and quickly thereafter I lose connection. My ISP Time Warner told me correctly to try to isolate the issue to see if it is the router or the cable modem. To do this I have to turn off my computer, turn off the router, turn off the cable modem, wire my pc right to the cable modem, start the cable modem and then my computer and see if it connects. Well it does but I'm changing the environment so with all the reboots that to me it is not a "apples to apples" test. Anyhow this does seem to work. Time Warner has come in twice to check my line and assured me both times that I have a good signal. I am at the end of my rope. I have:

The latest firmware
Replaced my WNDR3700 router since it was still under warranty.
Replaced my Netgear Nic card to a better Intel Nic card.
Replaced the cable from my computer to the router.
Reconfigured my router thinking that my configuration file got somehow corrupted..

Nothing is working.

It is not just this hardwired computer that I'm having the problem with but with all my wireless devices as well. Works some times and not at all.
I have contacted Netgear Support and had a long long support incident but no one has been able to fix this issue. They were helpful but I do have one gripe...I never had the same support engineer twice and that was frustrating. Anyhow I'm hoping I can go to the 'Grass Roots" and see if I can get this fixed. I've always been a big Netgear fan and still am.
What version and firmware are you running? Did you recently update your firmware. THere's a known issue that newer fw updates are not good. I had exact issues and reverted back to an older version. No more issue at all.
Message 3 of 6
blyons45
Aspirant

Smiley Happy

Update: After 45 days of chasing down everything I came across a post regarding WNDR3700, Time Warner Road Runner and I think it solved my issue. I was relying on Time Warner's default DNS servers. According to the post, there have been issues with the firmware on my router and TW RR DNS servers. I switched to Googles DNS server and like magic no more problem. My pages fully load (igooge home page some segments did not load) and it is sooo much more responsive. So for what it is worth that appeared to be the solution to an issue that defied conventional fixes. How that person found that fix I have no idea but my hat's off to them.:
Message 4 of 6
jlewter
Guide

Did you try the beta firmware?... It was supposed to fix this issue (of DNS hangs)
Message 5 of 6
shadysprings
Aspirant

blyons45 wrote:
Smiley Happy

Update: After 45 days of chasing down everything I came across a post regarding WNDR3700, Time Warner Road Runner and I think it solved my issue. I was relying on Time Warner's default DNS servers. According to the post, there have been issues with the firmware on my router and TW RR DNS servers. I switched to Googles DNS server and like magic no more problem. My pages fully load (igooge home page some segments did not load) and it is sooo much more responsive. So for what it is worth that appeared to be the solution to an issue that defied conventional fixes. How that person found that fix I have no idea but my hat's off to them.:
I also tried using a 3rd party DNS server. Tried OpenDNS and Google. Problem was that it wasn't resolving the most important sites like my companies MS Server, or a bunch of websites I go to. The router didn't freeze anymore but my corporate email didn't work anymore. So I ended up reverting to an older firmware version and it's been perfect for the last 6 months. Well, other than attached devices and gui is still broken.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E