Re: WNDR3700 Internet Problems - Let's compare notes

shadysprings
Aspirant

WNDR3700 Internet Problems - Let's compare notes

I've been experiencing the internet dropping, freezing, etc, for the past few weeks. I don't know if was when I updated to WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.7.98, then to Version 1.0.16.98, or ??

I have Time Warner Cable modem standard speed, Cisco 2100 cable modem, WNDR3700 v1.

I noticed a LOT of people are having the same internet problems so I'm looking to gather some facts to see if it's isolated to Time Warner cable modems.

So far it's happening to WNDR3700v1 and v2 wireless routers.

I just reverted back to Firmware Version 1.0.4.68 and have been okay for the past 2 hours. But not declaring victory yet.

Can anyone having this issue please list your internet service provider, cable modem info, WNDR3700 v1 or v2, and firmware version.

Thanks
Message 1 of 89
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

There are other factors which may influence this e.g.

• Number of nearby networks
• Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) use
• Selected throughput
• Router location relative to client devices
• Number of client devices
• Use of P2P applications
• External interference

A robust design would not simply give up if these ‘issues’ arise, but we know that they do, and so it’s possible for routers in different locations to have the same failure symptoms with different causes.
Message 2 of 89
shadysprings
Aspirant

Mars Mug wrote:
There are other factors which may influence this e.g.

• Number of nearby networks
• Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) use
• Selected throughput
• Router location relative to client devices
• Number of client devices
• Use of P2P applications
• External interference

A robust design would not simply give up if these ‘issues’ arise, but we know that they do, and so it’s possible for routers in different locations to have the same failure symptoms with different causes.

Thanks Andy,
My WNDR3700v1 has been working flawlessly since i got it. 18 months ago?
Nothing in environment changed. No nearby networks, no new microwaves, # of clients, no P2P, etc.

All of a sudden it keeps losing internet every hour or so as I'm bouncing around websites. I'm wondering if it's a firmware issue? or Timewarner Cable Modem issue, or simply the hardware in the WNDR3700 is just starting to go bad. Running 24/7 for 19 months must take a toll.

anyway, since i reverted back to Version 1.0.4.68 a few hours ago, it's been rock solid. Got 3 kids all on the internet and I'm watching youtube videos.

Got my fingers crossed. If this does fix the issue which it appears it will? then I'd say it's for sure a firmware issue.

But I'll wait another day before jumping to any conclusions.
Message 3 of 89
Joe_
Apprentice

shadysprings,

I think it's laudable the approach you seem to be taking to find the cause of your problem, viz. being systematic, doing research, giving feedback, etc.

From what you and Andy said so far, one thing occurs to me when you say:
"Nothing in environment changed. No nearby networks, no new microwaves, # of clients, no P2P, etc"
External interference can come from some very strong neighboring devices, eg. microwaves, baby monitors, etc. These may not necessarily be located in your own home, but may even be in a very close neighbor's home! Andy, of course, knows this but perhap just didn't expand on this point. So unless you are very far from neighbors, don't rule this out.

I don't have the WNDR3700 myself. However, from what I recall, I've seen mentioned in a few recent threads that some persons who have reverted to a certain last-known stable firmware had some success with solving this problem. Again, I can't be sure, but 1.0.4.68 sounds like the firmware version with stability. I'm sure if (you haven't already) you can easily locate these threads.

Good luck! 🙂
Message 4 of 89
SinisteR1
Aspirant

I have had issues (internet drops with Cox ISP) with the WNDR3700v2 the last few weeks. Prior to upgrading the FW, I did'nt change anything on the router to warrant any problems. I suspected either the ISP or the modem. I ruled out the modem by directly connecting to it with my laptop. No drops during that test. So I knew it had something to do with the router. I had FW 1.0.0.6 and upgraded to the 1.0.0.8 while trying to troubleshoot the issue. The issue remained.

After trying some different configurations and looking at the logs, I fixed the issue with using public DNS addresses. It's not really a fix but more of a work around. I know the ISP DNS addresses are good because my laptop didn't drop Internet connection when I was directly connected to it. So it probably has something to do with the router handling the DNS requests while automatically using the ISP DNS address? I'm not sure. But for now, it's working.
Message 5 of 89
shadysprings
Aspirant

UPDATE- 14 hours and still good! This is the longest period without internet drop since I updated the firmware.

Version 1.0.4.68 - so far so good. I'm still not blaming he firmware updates yet, but I'm getting close.

As far as external factors, not likely as I live a good distance from anyone else. If this does work out, say 2-3 days with no internet drops. I'll update back to Version 1.0.16.98 and see if I get internet drops again.

If that does happen, IMO, it's the firmware 100%.
Message 6 of 89
RDEngineer
Aspirant

I have two NetGear 3700V1's. I updated the firmware to the latest version which is V1.0.16.98NA. I too had the random dropout problems on both routers and further investigation revealed the loss of DNS server information. I then tried entering the information manually and still had problems. Connecting the computer directly to the Arris modem allowed full internet access. I went through all of the suggested fixes without success. Only reverting back to firmware version V1.0.4.68NA eliminated the problem. Both routers are now back online and working (for several days) without the annoying random dropouts. Hope Netgear issues a suggested fix for this annoyance.
Message 7 of 89
SinisteR1
Aspirant

RDEngineer wrote:
I have two NetGear 3700V1's. I updated the firmware to the latest version which is V1.0.16.98NA. I too had the random dropout problems on both routers and further investigation revealed the loss of DNS server information. I then tried entering the information manually and still had problems. Connecting the computer directly to the Arris modem allowed full internet access. I went through all of the suggested fixes without success. Only reverting back to firmware version V1.0.4.68NA eliminated the problem. Both routers are now back online and working (for several days) without the annoying random dropouts. Hope Netgear issues a suggested fix for this annoyance.

Which DNS address did you use, your ISP DNS or Google/OpenDNS? I had the same issue when I tried manually entering the ISP DNS address but when I entered the open DNS's, everything worked correctly. You might want to try Google/OpenDNS DNS addresses instead if you want to use the newer FW's.
Message 8 of 89
shadysprings
Aspirant

RDEngineer wrote:

Good input. I seem to be recreating what you've already done and coming to the same conclusion.
The firmware updates are messed up.

I also have a Arris modem and a Cisco 2100. They both work and are online when the WNDR3700 goes down.

I'm okay with using the older firmware because I only updated just to update. Everything works great on the older firmware.
Message 9 of 89
jasonkang93
Aspirant

Hi i have a problem too with my 3700 v2. both wired and wireless dropping connections randomly. ive noticed this in the logs...
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 46.116.142.0, port 56603, Monday, August 01,2011 14:18:10
Message 10 of 89
shadysprings
Aspirant

jasonkang93 wrote:
Hi i have a problem too with my 3700 v2. both wired and wireless dropping connections randomly. ive noticed this in the logs...
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 46.116.142.0, port 56603, Monday, August 01,2011 14:18:10

Hi Jason, the DoS attacks aren't related to this discussion to the best of my knowledge. This is mainly one of updating the firmware then having internet connection issues.

I have all sorts of weird messages on my logs but have no time to investigate. I think a lot are related to things like Skype, Xbox, online gaming, etc.
Message 11 of 89
j2owilson
Aspirant

Must be a lot of netgear users have had neighbors have a baby or something recently then. Clearly there is an issue with the firmware.
Message 12 of 89
RichMD
Aspirant

shadysprings wrote:
Good input. I seem to be recreating what you've already done and coming to the same conclusion.
The firmware updates are messed up.

I also have a Arris modem and a Cisco 2100. They both work and are online when the WNDR3700 goes down.

I'm okay with using the older firmware because I only updated just to update. Everything works great on the older firmware.

I have EXACTLY the same problem. I have a WNDR3700 V1 and a few weeks back, it started dropping the internet connection. There were no changes in my house and I only have one neighbor nearby. I had the 2G connection set to the 300Mb "unfriendly" setting and it would still drop constantly for all my devices, (phones, computers, etc). I updated to the latest release but that didn't fix it. I might have updated to 1.07 a little while back - I don't remember at this point. Windows 7 would identify "DNS issues". At first I had the configuration to pick up DNS from my ISP (COX in New England) and then I hard-coded their DNS IPs in the config but that didn't help. I actually was considering an old firmware but was concerned that might cause a problem. However, after seeing this thread I am going to try the 1.04 and see how it goes. I'm glad you posted this - I was about to buy a new N router.
Message 13 of 89
RichMD
Aspirant

RichMD wrote:
I have EXACTLY the same problem. I have a WNDR3700 V1 and a few weeks back, it started dropping the internet connection. There were no changes in my house and I only have one neighbor nearby. I had the 2G connection set to the 300Mb "unfriendly" setting and it would still drop constantly for all my devices, (phones, computers, etc). I updated to the latest release but that didn't fix it. I might have updated to 1.07 a little while back - I don't remember at this point. Windows 7 would identify "DNS issues". At first I had the configuration to pick up DNS from my ISP (COX in New England) and then I hard-coded their DNS IPs in the config but that didn't help. I actually was considering an old firmware but was concerned that might cause a problem. However, after seeing this thread I am going to try the 1.04 and see how it goes. I'm glad you posted this - I was about to buy a new N router.

I forgot to mention that I updated my cable modem to a new Motorola Docsis 3 after the problem happened. Some faultly testing on my part led me to think that was the problem. However, I now can get full burst speeds
Message 14 of 89
shadysprings
Aspirant

RichMD wrote:

So far, it's Cox and Time Warner Docsis cable modems with the problem.
I wonder if there has been any recent changes that may have caused this? I do know that I'm fixed now by reverting to an older firmware.
Message 15 of 89
RichMD
Aspirant

Same here - It hasn't dropped once since I downgraded to V1.0.4.68NA
Message 16 of 89
shadysprings
Aspirant

RichMD wrote:
I'm at 3 full days now with no internet drops. Why can't Netgear just own up to this and advise customers of the problem. They choose to blame everything else.
Message 17 of 89
Sniperstorm2
Aspirant

Everyone.

I can confirm this issue. 2 weeks ago I upgraded my firmware with no changes to my network. I have 3 Dlink Switches. On my network are 2 wired PC, 2 HP Laptops, XBox 360, Sony DVD player, First Gen Xbox, and a Verizion Network Extender .

I had my QOS set up for my xbox and Verizion network extender to HIGHEST.

So after the firmware upgrade. I would loose internet connection to both PC's and my Wireless Laptops randomly. I could still acccess the network with out any problems just no internet access. I could not figure out the issue.

I did notice one odd thing. I would be downloading a large file with firefox. And even if I lost my connection to the internet on all the PCs. ie. browser would not go online. The file continuted to download like normal.

The only way to fix it was turn of router off and on.

So I talked to Netgear Support who finaly said they would exchange my router.

While I waited for the new one. I used some generic $20 router I had around the house. I never had an issue. I also disconnected my switch that had the Verizion network extend on it.

So last night I received my new router. I pluged it in. Set up up and it worked for hours without a problem. So after about 5 hours with out an issue. I went back and pluged in the switch with the Verizion Network extender on it.
And all was working great.

Waited a few hours then went and turned on QOS and set my Extender to higest. And BAM withing 30 minutes the issue happened again. Turned off QOS and have been great ever since. I am going to continue to monitor it over night to see what happenes.

But I think we are getting someplace with this Firmware upgrade.
Message 18 of 89
Sniperstorm2
Aspirant

RichMD wrote:

Where did you get the firware? Can you post a link?
Message 19 of 89
shadysprings
Aspirant

Sniperstorm2 wrote:
Where did you get the firware? Can you post a link?

I used-
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3700-V1.0.4.68NA.img

Please try this and get back to us on if it solves the problem.
Message 20 of 89
Sniperstorm2
Aspirant

I will try tonight. I am going to try it for a little bit with the QOS off and make sure that was MY issue then I will downgrade the firmware.
Message 21 of 89
TroppoAlto
Aspirant

I've had a similar issues with my WNDR3700 for the last few weeks. Turning QoS off didn't resolve the issue. I am downgrading my router software to version 1.0.4.68NA today as suggested.

Currrent Ver: V1.0.7.98NA
ISP: TWC
Message 22 of 89
Sniperstorm2
Aspirant

TroppoAlto wrote:
I've had a similar issues with my WNDR3700 for the last few weeks. Turning QoS off didn't resolve the issue. I am downgrading my router software to version 1.0.4.68NA today as suggested.

Currrent Ver: V1.0.7.98NA
ISP: TWC

Keep us update.
Message 23 of 89
Sniperstorm2
Aspirant

Ok 2 hours on V1.0.4.68NA. No issues at all!

Ill post one more time before I goto bed at 12 EST!
Message 24 of 89
Sniperstorm2
Aspirant

Ok so as it stands. Its the firmware causing the Issue. Im running on the older firmware and there are no problems.
Message 25 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E