Aspirant

WNDR3700 Serving iTunes via USB

I copied my iTunes music store to an external USB drive, which is being served via the WNDR3700 ala "\\readyshare\iTunes". This works well *IF* the share is set with "All - no password" for both Read and Write access.

If I lock it down with READ ONLY access (i.e. Write Access to only "admin") then iTunes will not find the music files, and I'm prompted to "Locate or Cancel".

My desired state is to advertise this share with only READ access throughout the house - so the music files can only be updated by myself.

Has anyone done this? Any reason why I need write access? Any thoughts? Is there an easier way?
-PH

PS: If I open it up with both read and write to be "All - no password" and start listening to music, I can change the write permissions on the fly "admin" and the music keeps playing. So it looks like iTunes is only checking the perms once, at the initial connection time.
Message 1 of 4

Re: WNDR3700 Serving iTunes via USB

This is not what you want to hear, but yes, I've done that and it worked for me. You should not need to enable write access to the world. I have the v2. Do you have the v1 or v2? Latest firmware? Or maybe your router doesn't like Jimmy Buffett. :rolleyes:
Message 2 of 4
Aspirant

My Router sez: Hardware Version WNDR3700 Firmware Version V1.0.7.98NA GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64 There are no f/w updates available. Are you sharing yours via \\readyshare\iTunes or did you advertise and mount drive ala i:, j:, etc? Strange Huh?!? -PH
Message 3 of 4

I'm just sharing as \\readyshare\itunes. Are you trying to share more than one directory with read-only access? If I recall correctly, that didn't work for me. The 2nd share was not visible at all. So I have root with admin read/write and itunes with world-read admin-write and that works.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements