WNDR3700 Solid Orange Light permanently, no boot

jojopyro
Follower

WNDR3700 Solid Orange Light permanently, no boot

I've been having issues with the 2.4Ghz wireless on my WNDR3700v1 (the common problem that a lot of these are having) and I tried every available firmware for the device (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, all versions of stock Netgear firmwares) all having some sort of an issue. I decided to send it back to the supplier for an exhange/refund and was putting the newest available firmware back onto the router, I allowed it to sit for 5 minutes after the firmware update via TFTP, until I saw all the lights come up as they should then I performed a 30/30/30 reset then powered it back off. When it was powered on after that I noticed the solid orange light for the power and no other lights came up no matter how long I let it sit. I then went back to try the trusty tftp flash method but no matter how long I hold the reset button, the orange power light simply will not change. I've tried everything I can think of just short of opening it up to try a JTag (not sure if its possible on this model).

Now my question is: what can I possibly do next? Is there a chip pin jumping method for these like on the old school WRT54G's (pin 15 and 16 short will put it in a fail-safe mode), or some other sort of a fail-safe mode available? Please help with any info. Thank you in advanced

Joe
Message 1 of 4
Simon0
Novice

Re: WNDR3700 Solid Orange Light permanently, no boot

1st try firmware recovery CD.

2nd try tftp

3rd serial cable to initiate tftp upload from console and to debug flash issues/uboot issues

3rd your screwed... You killed the bootloader... by uploading a buggy firmware which somehow overwrote it. an old version of dd-wrt was known to do this... you should have chose gargoyle... :D:D

4th RMA

5th not able to RMA == $100-$150 down the drain :D:D

6th take 2 aspirin and buy a new router... at least it was educational :D:D
Message 2 of 4
Simon0
Novice

forgot to add, pin shorting is not good in old days, and still not good to use today. It attempts to corrupt flash check-sum so tftp would initiate. a serial-ttl 3.3v cable is much safer.

Well... a few people at the dd-wrt forums may know how to recover it via jtag or tjtag... anyhow good luck..
Message 3 of 4
CoyoteDen
Novice

jojopyro wrote:

Now my question is: what can I possibly do next? Is there a chip pin jumping method for these like on the old school WRT54G's (pin 15 and 16 short will put it in a fail-safe mode), or some other sort of a fail-safe mode available? Please help with any info. Thank you in advanced

Joe

There's a timing trick to when you press and hold RESET after powering the router on... It's much easier if you can watch the boot loader output.

Before you try JTAG or anything that really COULD brick your router, put a 3.3V USB-serial adapter on the console header and see what exactly is going on. The header is already there, all you have to do is open up the router.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E