× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700 V1 Wireless Drops every few hours ?..

jackyjoy123
Follower

WNDR3700 V1 Wireless Drops every few hours ?..

Hello,

I do not know why I purchased another Netgear product, I have several over the years, Like the following:

NetGear ProSafe FVS318 Wired Router
Netgear CG814WG Cable Modem 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless GW
Netgear FVS328 ProSafe 8-Port VPN Firewall Router
Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router with 4-Port Sw
Netgear ProSafe WG302 Wireless Access Point
NetGear ProSafe (FS726T) 24-Ports External Switch M...
Netgear PS101 mini Parallel / Ethernet Print Server

and had problems with everyone of them, I have updated firmware till my face turned blue and still had issues, Dropping internet connections, Dropping wireless connections each time.

I am again fighting this issue, I for some reason picked up a WNDR3700 from Best Buy today and the first hour my wife is yelling that it's dropping her internet AGAIN!. I update driver on her toshiba laptop, and she still gets dropped at random times. I experience the same problem on mu Dell Latitude D630 at the same time hers drops, so I know ithe the wireless. I make sure there is no other 2.4 GHz transmitters close but, I have changed more channels on netgear than my TV. But still this thing drops our connection.

I should have picked up the Cisco E4200. "Kicking myself"

Any more changes I can do before I throw another and my last Netgear Product in the trash bin.

thanks

jackyjoy

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: WNDR3700 V1 Wireless Drops every few hours ?..

Just to start off with, the WNDR3700 is a 11 year old device. Made in 2009. Its N600 and 2 generations behind on technology. (wireless-N to wireless-AC to now wireless-AX). I'd probably be upgrading to at least AC if buying a new device. 

2.4ghz has more interference and not just from computers/tablets/pcs. its sensitive to these interference issues. 

https://www.wired.com/2010/09/wireless-explainer/

Its why 5ghz was even rolled out. It doesn't broadcast as far but is much much faster and suffers from less interference. 

Are devices dropping on the 5ghz or only the 2.4ghz?

Are wired devices dropping? 

What modem/gateway do you have it connected to? 

Message 2 of 3
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: WNDR3700 V1 Wireless Drops every few hours ?..

Try upgrading the firmware. One last thing you could try is using third party firmware called dd-wrt. It allows you to boost the power of the wifi transmitting power and many more options. I see your model is supported by dd-wrt. You have to read the instructions and follow the steps to upload the firmware. Its not hard just read the instructions.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7