WNDR3700 behind R6300

bigredosu
Follower

WNDR3700 behind R6300

I have a, I believe V1, of a WNDR 3700 that I would like to use as a second router per se behind a R6300. Here is my scenario:

Modem: R6300: wireless (iPads, phones, laptops) & wired connections (game console, networked hard drive, blu-ray)

I would like to have the 3700 be a second router for my WIRED equipment (another xbox and a wired PC) in another room, but have it talk wirelessly to the R6300. I am not in need of a wireless extension, I just simply would like to connect another PC and Xbox into my system without running cords all through the house. I have searched for hours trying to find an answer besides looking up a third party firmware (ww-drt), and I am just wondering if but once I disconnect the 3700 from the R6300, I have no way of communicating.

HELP!
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR3700 behind R6300

probably not good idea been it will make WEP or none to make 3700 connect wirelessly.

I would go with extender such as wn2500rp so that you can use highest encryption
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 5
jlewter
Guide

It's not possible without
a) wired (not the answer you want)
b) third party firmware (not the answer you want)
Message 3 of 5
sabretooth
Apprentice

Power Line Adapters is what you need.
Message 4 of 5
Burgattti
Aspirant

Hey I got a R6300 working fine but in one room (MY ROOM), I have always had poor signal no matter what I do.

Now I got a 2nd router (different brand running DD WRT) and it supports WPA2 etc for repeating whereas my R6300 won't. I don't want to hurt my R6300 so im leaving it stock.

My only other choice is to purchase a powerline adapter NETGEAR XAVB1004, however there is only 1 port, this is not a huge issue, but can I add a unmanged ethernet swtich to it, or better use a secondary router off the powerline?

Much appreciated, and how did you get along with your situation?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements