Re: WNDR3700 clogged

jersey_hiker
Novice

WNDR3700 clogged

I have a WNDR3700, 1st gen I guess, that has really gotten to the point of being useless.

Here's the base stats:

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.7.98NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64

The primary purpose of my router is to stream music throughout my house. I have an AppleTV and AirPlay-enabled stereo. I have my music stored on a NAS (WDMyBook Live 2TB). It's gotten to the point where clicking submit on this post will likely cause my signal to drop and either lose this page or lose my stream. The same happens whether I'm playing music from my NAS or I'm streaming Internet Radio.

Any advise on how to fix this? I recognize this Router is not too recent, but it shouldn't be this bad. I'm ready to try a new brand if there's no solution.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Wireless router do go bad internally for wireless , getting weak etc

Different brand would not fixed the issues as it is common to get weaker as age

If there is no other interference issues you can think of in your surroundings the. I would say it maybe time for new router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
Devor
Luminary

Have you checked the power supply, maybe it's weak?

Contention shouldn't cause disconnection, but you could measure the AP signals around you with inSSIDer on a laptop. Although, something that inSSIDer won't measure is wireless baby room monitors or the like, that share the band that are not playing nice. Any possibility that the router could be moved, perhaps closer?

The radios are independent, if you're using 2.4 GHz, what about 5 GHz?

If the wireless does become useless, it's still a 4 port Gigabit switch. Might be useful someday.

Sorry, that's all I have.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 3 of 7
Simon0
Novice

Resetting to default and/or re-flashing the router may be tried... WNDR3700-V1.0.16.98-dns is the latest version I believe. Netgear now only makes it available only for the WNDR37AVv1 now, though.... Try setting it up as an AP only connecting it to another router. I'm using it as a wireless AP + 4 port gigabit switch right now. I got tired of it locking up when used as a router... those lockup has since been fixed with newer firmware though...

Finally alot of routers have very long warranties, but those warranties exclude the wall wart... and many people throw away their perfectly good & expensive routers simply because a $2 wall wart no longer provide sufficient power to reliably power the transmitters for prolong periods. You should have a universal DC power adapter to test it for a few days to narrow down the issue.
Message 4 of 7
jersey_hiker
Novice

Simon0 wrote:
Resetting to default and/or re-flashing the router may be tried... WNDR3700-V1.0.16.98-dns is the latest version I believe. Netgear now only makes it available only for the WNDR37AVv1 now, though.... Try setting it up as an AP only connecting it to another router. I'm using it as a wireless AP + 4 port gigabit switch right now. I got tired of it locking up when used as a router... those lockup has since been fixed with newer firmware though...

Finally alot of routers have very long warranties, but those warranties exclude the wall wart... and many people throw away their perfectly good & expensive routers simply because a $2 wall wart no longer provide sufficient power to reliably power the transmitters for prolong periods. You should have a universal DC power adapter to test it for a few days to narrow down the issue.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I didn't get an email notification and thought I would.

I flashed the router and reset to factor defaults. It hasn't helped. I've noticed specifically the 2.4 ghz frequency cuts out the most. Now that it's flashed, I've finally got something important - iTunes is telling me it can't connect to my devices due to the network actually timing out.

I was told NetGear has lifetime warranties. If that's not the case, I might just use this as an extender and upgrade to a new router as the primary.
Message 5 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use quite wisely

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=56314

Sounds like router is going bad.
Get the replacement
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 7
jersey_hiker
Novice

Devor wrote:
Have you checked the power supply, maybe it's weak?

Contention shouldn't cause disconnection, but you could measure the AP signals around you with inSSIDer on a laptop. Although, something that inSSIDer won't measure is wireless baby room monitors or the like, that share the band that are not playing nice. Any possibility that the router could be moved, perhaps closer?

The radios are independent, if you're using 2.4 GHz, what about 5 GHz?

If the wireless does become useless, it's still a 4 port Gigabit switch. Might be useful someday.

Sorry, that's all I have.

inSSIDer shows no interference. Tried that.

I'm monitoring the bandwidth. The 2.4 Ghz is weakest and barely getting 2 ghz through. However, I'm also noticing my MacBook Pro is on the 5 ghz while my AirPlay speakers (AppleTV and Boombox) are on 2.4 ghz. The MacBook has the lowest transfer rate and weakest signal.

I think I'll try and move the items today and do a test before throwing in the towel.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements