WNDR3700 high pitch noise

decr
Luminary

WNDR3700 high pitch noise

Is anyone else experiencing the high-pitch noise issue?
I've seen at least 2 others have this issue.

If so, how did you resolve it? get a replacement?

I'd like to hear thoughts to know if it is worth it or should I look for another router? Anyone have positive feedback?
Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: WNDR3700 high pitch noise

Please don't post multiple threads/posts for the same issue. 😉

The high-pitched noise is probably "capacitor whine" which I've had before with PC power supplies. Your unit should be under warranty, RMA it.
Message 2 of 11
RoderickGI
Luminary

I agree. It sounds like a power supply issue. Even though the power supply is external, there would be power circuitry in the router as well. Get it replaced under warranty, or swapped at the store if you can, since that would be quicker.

You were unlucky enough to get a bad one. Yours is the first report I've seen of this problem. Give Netgear a second chance.
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

decr wrote:
Is anyone else experiencing the high-pitch noise issue?
I've seen at least 2 others have this issue.

If so, how did you resolve it? get a replacement?

I'd like to hear thoughts to know if it is worth it or should I look for another router? Anyone have positive feedback?

it s capacitor issues if noise is coming from the router itself.

send it back for replacement ...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 11
arntgur
Luminary

Started getting noise from my WNDR3700 today, after using it for 1.5 years. Not that it was always working well, yet after last time I updated to latest firmware some 5 month back it was pretty stable.
Now wireless stopped working and is now turned off. Noise continues, and wired internet works.
There is no warranty anymore.
It's absolutely not anything I've done, and routers should not die after 2 years.

Any ideas what could be done?
Not sure if there is even a point in updating to the dd wrt firmware, as it sounds like a physical issue.
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

read prior what I said... capacitor issues.. firmware will NOT fix the problem
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 11
Joe_
Luminary

arntgur wrote:
There is no warranty anymore.

Any ideas what could be done?

Routers aren't that prohibitively expensive as they were some time ago so you may find it's easier to buy a new one. However, if you are a bit technically skilled and adventurous you may want to try this seeing it's out of warranty.
Message 7 of 11
BillyJack
Luminary

I just got the problem now too. My wireless is not working. I am not sure what the life expectancy of these devices are suppose to be but less then two years seems horrible. I will not be buying Netgear again. If I have to buy a device every two years might as well try out other brands. If my Netgear lasted a good amount of time I would buy one again. Guess it will not be this time.
Message 8 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

BillyJack wrote:
I just got the problem now too. My wireless is not working. I am not sure what the life expectancy of these devices are suppose to be but less then two years seems horrible. I will not be buying Netgear again. If I have to buy a device every two years might as well try out other brands. If my Netgear lasted a good amount of time I would buy one again. Guess it will not be this time.

Make sure you use APC Backup UPS or similar to PROTECT the device. I have huge amounts of MIXED networking devices in the past 12years and I had only two went bad.

All electronics do have some lifespan in quality of components yet you can still prolong if consumer well protects using UPS to keep those unit last longer.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 11
jlewter
Luminary

You shouldnt need any type of backup for this.
The solid state supplys used on the primary are fairly robust and can take spikes and dips without a huge chance of failure. The op also points out that the unit is turning on and wireless is not working, but it's got a cap/choke whining then it is a good indication that something has failed internally.
If his external psu was making the noise then perhaps a UPS would have helped, but I think it's doubtful.

I have a 12 year old router here that works just fine (if I want 10/100 networking).. I have found new kit does fail a lot faster than stuff made 10 years ago, and stuff made 10 years ago fails a lot more than stuff made 20 years ago (I still have working 486 boxes). I would want a replacement too, my warranty on my 3700 was for 3 years and I have been lucky enough for it to last the full time. 3700v1 (the v3's and v2's could be better or worse depending on the componet changes).

If you know an electronic repair place then they may be willing to go over the board and replace faulty componets, sadly most of those places are getting harder and harder to find.
Message 10 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

$45 APC backup ups will be less hassle.

Cost most more for local repair shop to solder caps unless you can do yourself.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements