Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted

WNDR3700 major loss of signal strength on 2.4Ghz

Greetings,

I've had a WNDR3700 set up for about 15 months, and it has worked very well during that time, but toward the end of December I lost almost all the strength in my 2.4Ghz signal. I have no idea why this happened ...I made no changes to the router or to the devices which attach to that signal. There have been no changes to my house, either remodeling or rewiring of power (ie, anything that might cause interference). At first I thought it was because my Christmas tree was right next to the router, possibly the coils of lights were causing interference, but then I realized the router had been working fine for the first 2-3 weeks the tree was up ...and when we removed the tree, the problem remained.

I don't know a lot about the signals, only which names I gave to the 2.4 and the 5.0. This router was recommended to me as an alternative to running cat5 up to my third floor office ...and sure enough, I found the 2.4 signal easily went to my third floor, and all over my house. I also noticed that I almost never saw the 5.0Ghz anywhere in my house ...not near the router or far from it. From this I thought my various "wireless cards" were not able to detect the 5.0GHz signal. BUT, once the 2.4 GHz signal "died", I noticed the 5.0 showing up ...I have my first floor laptop connected to it, but it barely reaches the 3rd floor and I can't connect to it up there. My iPhones do not detect the 5.0GHz at all.

The 2.4GHz signal now only reaches about 30 feet from the router, when before I could attach to it outside my house, or on the 3rd floor.

Does anyone know why this would happen? Or how I might fix it? My thought was to set the router back to factory default, and then set it up again from scratch. So far, the only troubleshooting I've had time to do is to reboot the router (and cable modem). BTW, the router seems to be sending data through it's cabled connections just fine.

Thanks for reading, and any help you can provide.

-Chris

Message 1 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 major loss of signal strength on 2.4Ghz

I'm having a similar problem, suddenly the 2.4GHz signal will drop completely but the 5GHz and wired connections remain strong. I changed nothing on my setup, it just suddenly started happening. The signal does come back if I reboot the router, but I shouldn't have to reboot my router twice or three times a day.

Any ideas on what is going on I'd appreciate the help.

Jacob
Message 2 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

My 2.4GHz signal just dropped out and only works within 5 feet from the router which is a V1. The 5GHz signal is as strong as it ever was. I have power cycled several times to no avail. Will reset the router to defaults later. Might try a newer firmware but I doubt that is the issue. Been running on V1.0.7.98NA since it came out and haven't had any major issues.
Message 3 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

I don't like to sound like a me too, but I have a similar problem.
After about a year of use, I started having problems with the 2.4 GHz band. After a day or two of use, the throughput with this band goes down to about 10% of what I would normally get. I change to the 5 GHz band, and the throughput stays normal. If I reset the router the problems persists. The solution I found is to change the 2.4 GHz channel fixes the problem.
I have checked the neighbourhood's frequencies, and they are not an issue.

Could it be that there is a hardware problem?, or I should try doing some more testing.

My router is v1, and have the latest FW.

Thanks

Daddu
Message 4 of 22
Highlighted
Tutor

Hate to tell you guys, but more than likely it’s a hardware problem. I am on my third WNDR3700v1. The first is still going strong after a year and a half of continuous use. The second’s 2.4 radio crapped out just before its anniversary. The third is a replacement for the second after it was RMA(ed).

The 2.4 GHz radio has a notorious reputation; some would call it darn right infamous . . . Smiley Sad
Best regards,

Nat Ray MCSE/MCT since 1997

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** HPEnvy800 -PHX **

DD-WRT v24-SP2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007

Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .

‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Message 5 of 22
Highlighted

NatRay-

Thanks for your reply ...it's good to know that these routers suffer from hardware problems. Do I have it right that the 2.4 has problem in this router, and not in all 2.4 routers?

Do you know off the top of your head how the long the warranty runs on these babies? From your words, I assume it is "one year".

Would you recommend a replacement router (some other model or manufacturer)? I can believe this gorked out already ...I think I paid over $100 for it. Sheesh...

I appreciate the feedback. I don't have my weekends free to tinker with this as much as I'd like, as I'm taking care of my 6-month old. Which means I get just enough time to use the crapper, if I'm lucky.

Thanks to all of you for chiming in.
Message 6 of 22
Highlighted
Tutor

Not all WNDR3700v1 (s) are afflicted with this dreaded syndrome, however, far too many are. The ‘Hardware Warranty’ differs with regard to country of purchase. In the United States, the warranty is one year from date of purchase.

I have searched high and low for a replacement, and have yet to find a suitable contender, including Netgear’s latest and greatest (look no further than this forum for issues concerning the 3800, 4000, and 4500). If I were in the market for another router I’d be looking at a used or refurbished WNDR3700v1 from a reputable dealer, with a return policy. Coupled with DD-WRT, the 3700v1 is a beast.

Note: WNDR3700 Version One (Strongly suggest staying away for v2 and v3 models)

After fifteen months, an RMA is out of the question.

Your options are:

Been there, done that . . . Being a grandparent is truly golden Smiley Wink
Best regards,

Nat Ray MCSE/MCT since 1997

Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** HPEnvy800 -PHX **

DD-WRT v24-SP2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007

Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .

‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Message 7 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

My 2.4 transmitter also seems to have reduced it's range to about 5 feet as of yesterday. The 5G never did a great job of getting through walls and it still doesn't.
Message 8 of 22
Highlighted
Tutor

After 3 years my 2.4 radio just started to die , get between 7-54 mbps where I used to get108-164 mbps . Just out of the blue today at 3:40 it happened . Is this the dreaded dead 2.4 radio problem ? No way it could be software ? Changed chanel settings , rebooted nothing helps . Any advice ? This has been the best router , has worked 24/7 for almost 3 years , guess the last 300 gb transfer last night killed it . :-(
Message 9 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

Uhg! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this 2.4 band "radio death" issue is a confirmed one (and not just a "rumor", as the excerpt below says). There's a useful spreadsheet hosted on Google Docs that gives additional info about how to identify if you were unlucky enough to have purchased one with this problem, although I think you still may need to have the box you purchased it in to identify if your router is amongst the faulty ones. It should be noted that the spreadsheet is specific to those who tried to install DD-WRT on this router. Here's an excerpt from the following page: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700

NOTE: There are rumors that a certain batch of version 1 routers have problems with the 2.4GHz radio suddenly dying (often when used with DD-WRT). The ones came in boxes marked as -01R14 or -01R15 on the barcode label. It is also said that -01R21 or -02R01 are expected to be working o.k. According to "board version" Ver4 is said to be reliable. If you look at the pictures you may see at least 3 places with some kind of "version" numbering. See http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AjNDNODfzgytdEJvZ0N0SkFLejFJZzBHcnFaaUg4OGc&hl=en&output=htm....

Again, I recommend seeing if you can identify your 3700's barcode label and seeing if it matches up to any of the ones included in that Google spreadsheet. For those of you under warranty, it may help you determine if this radio death issue is affecting your 3700, and hopefully get a replacement if in fact it is. My 3700's 2.4Ghz radio crapped out literally 4 days after the one-year anniversary of purchasing my 3700, so I've been stranded with this expensive router that most of my clients can't connect to unless they're within 5 feet away.
Message 10 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

You need the box to get this "revision" detail off of.
There is a risk that the revision number was also a box revision (box revisions can still be a guide to build date of the hardware, so it is still relevant). Without the box your partially lost on the build date of the hardware.

NG should supply build reivisions of these units in some form of Serial lookup. I have requested and they have refused. I know there are other routers of similar design (by Netgear) that seem to be suffering radio death, I personally dont think it's the radio chip but instead the antenna.

If your in Europe and you have a faulty unit you should complain, Netgear "should" replace it out of warranty for free but I don't know if anyone is testing the waters on that yet. I think European law gives 2 or more years, UK law gives about 5... It's not a clear cut case of "working or not working" but if there is a major repeatable fault (design fault) that renders the unit un-repairable then it would fall under this form of consumer protection. Normal wear and tear would not - and if netgear claim that then they would basically be claiming that the units have a 1-2 year lifespan (Queue PR fixit teams)..

The major hassle is of course getting through to Netgear and their lack of responding on these issues outside of their standard warranty. I worked for a company (In the UK) where we had faulty gear (returns were massive) and we were told to try and charge for repair at all times until the customer started quoting warranty. I was happy to change this before I left the company but most large firms out there work on the same model.
Message 11 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

jerry66 wrote:
After 3 years my 2.4 radio just started to die , get between 7-54 mbps where I used to get108-164 mbps . Just out of the blue today at 3:40 it happened . Is this the dreaded dead 2.4 radio problem ? No way it could be software ? Changed chanel settings , rebooted nothing helps . Any advice ? This has been the best router , has worked 24/7 for almost 3 years , guess the last 300 gb transfer last night killed it . :-(

Sometimes the wndr3700's firmware, during bandwidth monitoring, I guess.. destroys its "Regulatory Compliance" data.. If you have a whole flash backup, try restoring it. An old/buggy version of dd-wrt will over-write as well...
Message 12 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

I ran into this exact same issue as of yesterday evening - all of a sudden the 2.4GHz signal strength has dropped to about 20 feet from the router. No changes to the network, router, other devices.

Seems like there is no solution but to replace the router - any recommendations on which one to buy? I will not buy another Netgear product again

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.
Message 13 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

I purchased the 3700v3 two weeks ago and am not sure if I am experiencing the "Radio Death" issue. I am able to pick-up a signal at 300Mbps off and on, However; more frequently I have only been connecting at 87-130Mbps. I used the advice from "confuxion". I looked at the Google database using revision listed on the barcode -01R1. The database notes that my revision does not have this issue, yet I am concerned about my connection fluxuation. Member "NatRay" advised staying away from v2 and v3, but did not say why. Should I take the unit back and exchange it for the 3800?
I would also like to know how you can tell which band you are connecting to the 2.4 or 5Ghz band?

There are a few other issues I would like to address that may or may not be related. When I setup the 2.4 and 5Ghz band I gave both the same network name and passcode. Will this cause any problems and do I need to change one of the network names?

Also, when I click on my wireless icon in the tray and connect I am not asked for my passcode to log-in, it automatically connects. I DO have security setting set, why am I not being asked for my passcode to log-in?
Message 14 of 22
Highlighted
Luminary

I prefer to use a different SSID and Passkey for each band. In the Notification area the wireless icon shows available AP's. When you selected your AP and gave the WPA2 passkey, Windows logs the matching SSID and passkey information and you don't have to enter it again. You can go into the Network properties from the wireless icon and see all the available SSID's that Windows has logged.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 15 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have a new V3 and both my net books are within 15 feet. There is another router around me that is stronger, which I find crazy. Maybe they dropped the power level on 2.4g (don't use 5g so turned it off) to help the hardware.
Message 16 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Add me to the list too! I was thinking a storm may have damaged the 2.4 Ghz radioes. inSSIDer and WirelessCom showed it was down to -65 dBm 3 feet away. Just ordered an WNDR4500 to replace it...

Maybe the V1 radioes have a built-in time bomb tied to new product releases? Smiley Very Happy
Message 17 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello All,

Also add me to the list. My WNDR3700's signal also died. I thought it my have been a channel problem or software. But it completely stop broadcasting in 2.4 mode. I tried resetting it to original factory specs with no luck. All the front lights do come on. I finally gave up. I ended up buying the ASUS RT-N53U wireless router. I must say, this is a very good little router. I get the same range as the higher priced WNDR3700, which I paid $200 for 18 months ago. The Asus RT-N53U was only $49 on AMAZON.COM.

I will never trust a high priced router from Netgear ever again. I have previously bought ASUS routers for with good luck prior to purchasing this Netgear router.

Thanks for reading my post.

E.L. REY
Message 18 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

You got a good deal on that router ;P...
If I was looking to buy a replacement in the 2x2 dual band range I would probably go with the Black Diamond too..
Message 19 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
Sometimes the wndr3700's firmware, during bandwidth monitoring, I guess.. destroys its "Regulatory Compliance" data.. If you have a whole flash backup, try restoring it. An old/buggy version of dd-wrt will over-write as well...

Why do people ignore the "Key Posts" and continue to drone on about "Mine won't work either"?
Message 20 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:

I flashed with a newer firmware and the signal strength is still poor. Any more ideas?
Message 21 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, my 2.4 ghz band now only works within a few feet of the router. Nice...
Message 22 of 22