WNDR3700 vs Static IP Network

curtman61
Novice

WNDR3700 vs Static IP Network

I am trying to set up a WNDR3700 in my network so that four laptops can communicate wirelessly. When I complete the setup, the laptops can connect to the internet but they have lost their static ip addresses. Also, the router will not accept a local ip address from my network. How can I set this up to use my ip network instead of the default? 10.x.x.1 - 10.x.x.255. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR3700 vs Static IP Network

you want to use 10x IP? you should able to change to under lan setting .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 4
fordem
Mentor

First - if you set a static address on the laptop, the router can't change that, so if you say that laptops have lost their static address, then the addresses weren't static to begin with - more likely DHCP reservations.

Second - if you had DHCP reservations with the laptops' ethernet interfaces, those reservations are not for the wireless interfaces (which are different), so the ip addresses WILL change.

Third - it sounds like you're trying to use a wireless router to extend an existing wired network, wirelessly - what you need is a wireless access point, a wireless router will split your network into two.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 3 of 4
jlewter
Guide

I am with fordem on this, due to the fact that the IP range is 10.x and your saying it's not what you want, it may indicate that you hooked the WAN port up to a 192.168.whatever the router had set for it's lan.

If you have a DHCP server on your network then you do indeed need to use the 3700 as an "Access Point", just make sure you give it a "Lan IP" that doesnt conflict with your network, and that lies outside your excisting DHCP scope (so you can manage the wireless settings).
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements