WNDR37000v2 limiting download speed...

Spideyknight
Novice

WNDR37000v2 limiting download speed...

Hi, I've seen similar issues posted here, but I didn't want to hijack or necro any threads so I wanted to post my specific problem and see if anyone had any suggestions or solutions.

I have a 33Mbps downstream and 7 up connection. When I connect directly from the computer to the modem I get those speeds, or some reasonable approximation of them. Normally around 32/6+. However, when I go through the router(wndr3700v2) it seems to limit my download speed to 9-10Mbps, however it doesn't limit my upload speed. All of my tests were done with speedtest.net and I even tried Knology's speedtest (speedtest.knology.net). Knology is my isp and my modem is made by Arris.

I've tried pretty much everything I could think of: Reset modem, reset router, tried every firmware from 1.0.0.6 all the way to 1.0.0.12, disabled the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radio buttons, disabled SPI with those radio buttons and in all combinations with all the firmware and nothing fixed my issue.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I was going to try third party firmware when I get home, but other than that I'm out of ideas. Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 6

Re: WNDR37000v2 limiting download speed...

MTU size on the router's WAN settings page? If it's not 1500 bytes, set it to that. Just a guess.
Message 2 of 6
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

1500 is the typical figure used for a cable service, and if Spideyknight has an ADSL service then the maximum MTU is normally 1492, and in some cases lowering the MTU to 1400 can improve throughput by reducing fragmentation.

If the modem is an ADSL modem it may also be worthwhile checking that it's set to Bridged Mode (many ADSL modems are actually modem/routers combined, Bridged Mode = modem only mode).
Message 3 of 6
Spideyknight
Novice

I have Cable internet, and the MTU size is already set at 1500. Sorry for the delay in replying.
Message 4 of 6
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Typically with a cable service an MTU of 1500 will be fine, but occasionally the ISP may require a lower value (which they should really tell you about). It is unlikely that in your case the MTU setting is a problem, however a simple MTU ping test can quickly rule that out;

http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml

The MTU is an important parameter to get right i.e. not too high, but using a lower than optimal value will have negligible effect e.g. if you set 1400 where you could go as high as 1430 will not make any noticeable difference.
Message 5 of 6
sabretooth
Apprentice

Disable WMM in the router and try again.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E