Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700v2/WNDR37AVv2 v1.0.0.36

I am having the exact same problem with the 2.4 GHz WiFi devices losing connectivity until I reboot the router. I'm going to go back to v1.0.0.12
Message 51 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have had contact with support from netgear and they have told me that I should send my router into them, perhaps it is an error on the router itself, they're doing it for me, so you should try to contact them
Message 52 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

agouvis wrote:
Hey everyone,

First off, I'm very new to this forum, so be gentle Smiley Happy

I've read through this entire thread, and I haven't heard about the behavior I've experienced with upgrading to v1.0.0.36 f/w, so I thought I'd share what happened to me.

The Facts:

Router: Netgear WNDR3700v2
Original f/w version: 1.0.0.12
New f/w/version: 1.0.0.36
Date of upgrade: 2/3/2013
Upgrade method: via router GUI
Result: Successful (sort of, see Side Effects below)
Side Effects: I'm running two SSIDs on the WNDR3700v2, one on 2.4GHz band, and one on 5GHz band (because its a dual-band router). About every 18-24 hours, the SSID for the 2.4GHz band "vanishes" and all the devices connected on that SSID disconnect (confirmed this from both the client and router side). The 5GHz SSID continues to perform normally. Upon powercycling the router, everything comes back up O.K. (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs).

I'm planning to revert from 1.0.0.36 -> 1.0.0.12 due to this, but otherwise have no complaints. Anyone experienced anything like this?

rayagarcia wrote:
I am having the exact same problem with the 2.4 GHz WiFi devices losing connectivity until I reboot the router. I'm going to go back to v1.0.0.12

I'm having the same issue as these people. Started on 1.0.0.12 and was able to upgrade to 1.0.0.36 but after the upgrade my wireless computers all lose connection after awhile and the SSID is no longer seen. If I restart the router things will work again but only for so long and it's back to the same issue.

I am back on 1.0.0.12 now and no issue like that again. It's disappointing because my internet pages loaded faster with the new firmware but that doesn't matter when you can't stay connected.

I did not reset the router with the button on the bottom. If anything thinks that will help I will try it but I don't want to if I'm going to have the same isssues.

Thanks
Message 53 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

rayagarcia wrote:

I have the same issue, somebody has found a solution for this problem ?
Many thanks
Message 54 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

lucas72 wrote:
Devor I might have seem somehow harsh in my previous post - which in the case I apologize - but what I'm trying to say that this is netgear official forum and nobody from netgear is writing in here. I didn't have any problem so far with any firmware, my only "problem" here is that I can't upgrade to .36 where one of the bug I encountered so far seems to addressed (according to release notes). So when I red your "solution" to not upgrade.... let me say I feel a little bit fooled!
There's a simple problem here: nobody who own a 3700v2 seems able to upgrade, HELLO NETGEAR?!

I can't upgrade either.
Message 55 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Also since I upgraded to .36 my wifi seems weaker, not cool. I flashed openwrt on my wndr3700v2 and the wifi is still somewhat weaker than it used to be, but I think its a bit better than .36, but not by much.
Message 56 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

scibot wrote:
Also since I upgraded to .36 my wifi seems weaker, not cool. I flashed openwrt on my wndr3700v2 and the wifi is still somewhat weaker than it used to be, but I think its a bit better than .36, but not by much.

I second that. I'm not dropping connection but both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals connect at dramatically lower speeds since upgrading to V1.0.0.36.

Prior to this I was able to connect at a consistent and reliable 250+ Mbps on my 5Ghz network and likewise with 2.4Ghz, and many times coming very close to or reaching the 300 Mbps listed spec.

Since V1.0.0.36 I'm seeing a connection speed between 100 to ≈ 162 Mbps. One thing I've noticed is that when changing wireless settings (channel for instance) I'm greeted with a message stating:

"Per Wi-Fi Alliance guidelines for 40 Mhz and 20 Mhz coexistence, even if you select "Up to 300Mbps" mode, your product's service rate might drop to 20 Mhz. This typically corresponds to 130 Mbps performance."

From what I gather this has something to do the wi-fi standards to reduce interference in areas with dense wireless signals. Anyone with similar experiences or insight into what exactly this is and why I'm taking such a performance hit with this new firmware (and more importantly how to remedy this)?
Message 57 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just a quick update:

I did a little more investigating starting with getting a wifi scanner/analyzer (inSSIDer in this case) to see what kind of potential interference I might be getting from surrounding wifi signals. This will help you determine the optimal channel selection on your 2.4GHz network.

Found another post on the forum from user Mars Mug:

"If there are other nearby networks which overlap either of the two channels that the router uses to make the 40MHz bandwidth then WiFi requirements force the router to switch to single channel 20MHz bandwidth which limits the link rate to 150Mbps, Google ‘WiFi Good Neighbour’."

Another user querying the "Enable Video Network" option listed under the 5GHz network options was experiencing stuttering video streaming and after enlisting the help of the forum and talking to netgear support the suggestion of using the N band on channel 11 (this is usually less used but use inSSIDer to determine) for the 2.4GHz range and set the transmission speeds to 130Mbps. The reasoning behind this I believe is that by setting the 2.4GHz radio to 300Mbps you're operating in 40MHz bonded channel mode meaning it will use whatever channel you have selected and a secondary channel at the same time which can cause problems in the 2.4GHz band with all the congestion found there. I'm assuming this was triggering the 'wifi good neighbor' practices described above.

Interference on the 5GHz band is less likely an issue so leaving it on channel 36 should be fine and leave the transmission speeds at 300Mbps. After power cycling my router and applying the above suggestions I'm now once again achieving the speeds and reliability I was previously. Still curious as to why after updating firmware problems arose since no changes were made to settings but I'm back in business now. Hope this helps.
Message 58 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes! Same here! After 12-24 hours 3 of my 4 wifi camera's loose connection. I will also go back to .12
Message 59 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

You're lucky you can go back to v1.0.0.12. I have tried everything suggested here and also Netgear techs spent literally hours taking over my computer and trying everything they could think of to do with no success. I was/am out of warranty (by a couple months)but they were kind enough to give me complimentary phone tech assistance. The techs were very polite and helpful but it became obvious after awhile that they were under corporate restriction to not take ownership of the problem and not to offer any replacements etc. There was tacit agreement from them however that the firmware updates had somehow rendered the router unable to be updated or reverted to the original firmware. Netgear has royally screwed over a lot of people with their defective upgrades and apparently do not have the decency to make things right with their customers. I have also sent them a written complaint but as of yet have had no reply. Unless some assistance is forthcoming from Netgear, I will never purchase another of their products and will actively discourage others from doing so. I hope everyone here who has had this problem will contact them and express their disgust and disappointment.
Message 60 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

oldcrooner wrote:
You're lucky you can go back to v1.0.0.12. I have tried everything suggested here....

What issue are you encountering with TFTP that it doesn't work?
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 61 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I watched the techs attempting the TFTP thing several times via remote control and if I remember correctly, the end of the process always timed out and/or gave some kind of notice that it could not complete. I went through two days of them trying things for hours on end so the whole thing is kind of hazy in my memory. Smiley Sad I know their final conclusion was that somehow the router's flash memory would/could not accept any further changes and that the .32 upgrade was apparently the culprit that caused the damage. Like I've said before, Netgear screwed up and should assume responsibility.
Message 62 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I tried using both the router check for new firmware and the manual update process where you download the firmware. In both cases, the router reports the new firmware is incompatible. My current version is v1.0.0.32. Hopefully, Netgear will resolve the firmware update issue.
Message 63 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

sabretooth wrote:
Since no hard reset was done, reverting back kept the settings for 12. That's why the instructions say...

Note. Please remember to do factory default after firmware upgrade, if you upgrade this firmware from v1.0.0.6. Enter “Backup Settings” in the web GUI and click “Erase” button of “Revert to factory default settings”.

None of this is mentioned in the upgrade procedure.

If this is really necessary, the version should be saved to the settings and each FW should check for match on startup and offer a reset as the only option in the web GUI.
Message 64 of 149
Aspirant

The changelog says:

New Features & Bug Fixes:
Fixed the issue that WLAN client can't communicate with other WLAN client.
Fixed the issue that firmware can't downgrade to V1.0.0.12 version.

But there is a new GUI and some people mentioned also new features. Can someone give a short list of what is actually new?

PS: Writing the WLAN password in plain text on the main webGUI page... brilliant.
Message 65 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

It seems the AP mode is new (at least I did not notice it before). It is in Advanced / Advanced Setup / Wireless AP
Message 66 of 149
Highlighted
Apprentice

xerces8 wrote:
None of this is mentioned in the upgrade procedure.

If this is really necessary, the version should be saved to the settings and each FW should check for match on startup and offer a reset as the only option in the web GUI.

Yes, this is quoted from the upgrade instructions. If you don't want to hard reset the router after every upgrade, live with your problem.
Message 67 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi all,
my first post on here and I was very happy to find this thread.
I got my WNDR3700v2 just after Christmas and it worked fine in my house which has a selection of networked devices, AppleMacs, PCs, Tablets, TVs, the odd smartphone & a Blue Ray player.

I got the option for a firmware upgrade to .36 recently and sadly I took it, wish I had read this thread first.
Now I get the 2.4GHz network dropping functionality after 12-24 hours - fixed by a reboot.

I will be regressing to .12 firmware tomorrow when my ISP is available to talk me thru any router configuration problems, not that I am expecting any - but my house is too busy to risk an outage over the weekend.

Thanks to all those who have posted, I found this thread invaluable.
julk.
Message 68 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

My downgrade from the .36 firmware to the .12 firmware went smoothly and seems to have worked ok using my 2007 iMac running Mac OS X 10.6.7.

I downloaded the .12 firmware from Netgear and expanded it using The Unarchiver.

Logging on to the WNDR3700v2 router I used the .36 GUi to take a backup of the settings and then to downgrade the firmware to .12, this involved ignoring a warning about downgrading.

Logging back onto the router I used the .12 GUI to revert to factory setting - erase, and then to restore the saved backup settings.

Each step took a couple of minutes or so.
I hope this helps.
Message 69 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

The automagic version available through Netgenie and the router itself fail. So does the version that is available from the web site by drilling down through menus to select the newest version (.36).
Message 70 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Like v1.0.0.32, v1.0.0.36 keeps interfering with connections between devices on the same network.

After a reboot, all devices show up in the connected devices list. But over time fewer and fewer devices show up. Including the device with which I'm accessing the router's GUI!

All devices can connect to the Internet but connections between devices on the LAN stop working until I reboot the router.

I'm going back to v1.0.0.12 where I did NOT have this problem. I hope Netgear will release a new version soon that solves this problem.
Message 71 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

julk wrote:
Logging back onto the router I used the .12 GUI to revert to factory setting - erase, and then to restore the saved backup settings.

You should treat saved configuration files as firmware version specific. Crossing firmware versions with saved configuration files might cause issues. This was suggested in the link I originally provided in the head-post.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 72 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

notanewbie wrote:
The automagic version available through Netgenie and the router itself fail. So does the version that is available from the web site by drilling down through menus to select the newest version (.36).

Read the entire thread before attempting to change the firmware again in your v2 router. If you're at v1.0.0.12, you should probably leave well enough alone. If you're using v1.0.0.32 then you should read this post here for instructions on how to downgrade to v1.0.0.12. You can find v1.0.0.12 firmware here.
_____
Message 73 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Devor,
Thanks for your posts - lots of good advice there.

I have had a look through the restored settings via the .12 GUI and nothing looks obviously amiss to me.

I realised I was taking a risk going against your advice, but I decided to try restoring the backup from the .36 release and see if anything went wrong. My ISP technical support (ISP provided the router) advised that it would likely work.

If/when things go visibly wrong I will erase the settings and start over from scratch.
julk.
Message 74 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,

I just upgrade from an older version, and now the HMI on the web interface is very different. I have no problem with the style - it's nice, but I can no longer set the signal strength of the different Bands and more importantly I can't turn on/off the radio's from the web interface (the physical button on my router just broke).

Are these controls somewhere else? If not, will they be coming back?

Thanks,
Jon
Message 75 of 149
Top Contributors
Announcements