Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700v2/WNDR37AVv2 v1.0.0.36

Made the mistake of upgrading from 12 to 36 today.

Major difference in the interface, with a ton of new options. Its interesting. However there are several problems I experienced in the minutes I ran 36 before getting so annoyed I reverted.

My modem rebooted once, and the router didn't pick up the new IP address, despite being set up to automatically get one.
I couldn't access the modem's page despite the modem lights showing it was up & running perfectly. Was receiving DNS errors, despite the fact that my main DNS server is one of my ISPs, and the alternate is google. There's no way both experienced DNS failure.

I had to pull the power on the router to get it to stop being stupid with DNS errors, and it finally picked up an IP. Was down for just over 10 minutes between the modem reboot (which took about a minute to complete), to when I finally got an IP address again (following router reboot).

10 minutes to get an IP address back is totally out of the question. Having to pull the plug on the router to get a new IP address is out of the question.

Also, it seems saving options in 36 takes more than double the time it takes in 12.

Reverted the firmware, and I had an IP address within seconds.

I should have remembered: If ain't broke, don't fix it.
Message 26 of 149
Highlighted
Apprentice

Again, we have to ask... after the firmware upgrade did you hard reset the router back to factory defaults by holding the reset button in back for 30 seconds. Release and wait 10 seconds and power cycle the router. Reconfigure it back to your settings manually using no backup file like the instructions state?
Message 27 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

sabretooth wrote:
Again, we have to ask... after the firmware upgrade did you hard reset the router back to factory defaults by holding the reset button in back for 30 seconds. Release and wait 10 seconds and power cycle the router. Reconfigure it back to your settings manually using no backup file like the instructions state?

If you need to do that with 36, it should be included in the firmware upgrade info on the main page on the router where you click 'yes' or 'no' to upgrading the firmware. It is NOT included.

When I reverted back to 12, I didn't need to do that for it to work perfectly.

One other thing, when I went to 36, it kept all my settings, except my wireless passwords - it wiped both passwords and offered pw-less wifi to all.
Message 28 of 149
Highlighted
Apprentice

Ressy wrote:
If you need to do that with 36, it should be included in the firmware upgrade info on the main page on the router where you click 'yes' or 'no' to upgrading the firmware. It is NOT included.

When I reverted back to 12, I didn't need to do that for it to work perfectly.

One other thing, when I went to 36, it kept all my settings, except my wireless passwords - it wiped both passwords and offered pw-less wifi to all.

Since no hard reset was done, reverting back kept the settings for 12. That's why the instructions say...

Note. Please remember to do factory default after firmware upgrade, if you upgrade this firmware from v1.0.0.6. Enter “Backup Settings” in the web GUI and click “Erase” button of “Revert to factory default settings”.

You can always upgrade properly and try again to see if the newer firmware works for you.
Message 29 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

sabretooth wrote:
Since no hard reset was done, reverting back kept the settings for 12. That's why the instructions say...

Note. Please remember to do factory default after firmware upgrade, if you upgrade this firmware from v1.0.0.6. Enter “Backup Settings” in the web GUI and click “Erase” button of “Revert to factory default settings”.

You can always upgrade properly and try again to see if the newer firmware works for you.

Sabretooth: Are you netgear staff, or a regular poster of the forum? My comments are directed to Netgear staff so that they can improve their firmware.

I have never needed to do a factory reset following a firmware upgrade in more than 10 years of maintaining and upgrading my own home network, as well as multiple family members' networks. This is the first firmware upgrade I've experienced with Netgear (all previous were Linksys), so maybe that is the difference - Linksys is just better than Netgear with firmware upgrades.

If you & Netgear are recommending a factory reset following 36's installation, then Netgear should bloody well include it on the "Firmware Upgrade Assistant" page which shows up as the first page after logging into the router. It is NOT there.
The only thing it says is the following:
Important Note:
1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes. If power LED light turns amber and blinking, power cycle the router to complete the upgrade.
2. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesnt display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade. After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color. Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.

The "Firmware Upgrade Assistant" page is the way most users will be upgrading the firmware. It is how I upgraded the firmware. Turning around and telling me it requires a factory reset when the instruction is NOT on the instructions page, makes Netgear look bumbling, and unprofessional.

I do want to thank you sabretooth for attempting to make a user feel stupid, for essentially saying 'follow the instructions' when no instructions showed up to follow. I was previously happy with my netgear purchase. I will be passing on purchasing netgear in the future.

I've made my comments, and I'm done with this thread and the rude forum poster.
Message 30 of 149
Highlighted
Apprentice

There are no Netgear staff here, only users. I'm sorry that you could not perform your upgrade properly. And just an FYI, Linksys has the exact same stipulation on all their home routers... to hard reset and reconfigure when done.
Message 31 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

Malsec wrote:
Just updated to 1.0.0.36 from within router. Everything went just fine. .36 is up and running with new GUI. So far so good.

Thank you for coming back and letting everyone know. So, it does appear that in order for the .36 firmware to update in the normal way, it has to be updated from .12 and not from the .32 firmware. Interesting.

As to the new GUI, I've personally never cared for it. It's too childlike for my tastes. But, to each their own. Smiley Happy

Malsec wrote:
Speeds are the same as 1.0.0.12 and configuration is kept.

If you mean that you didn't revert to factory settings or a hard reset, just so you know that not reverting has caused users issues in the past and is not recommended. That, and using configuration saves from different firmware versions. Both are covered in the update guide.

In any case, again, thanks for letting us know.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 32 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

jgbrannan wrote:
If anyone knows how to get the .36 update on the router, please share the steps.

From what I gather, the update to the .36 firmware will only work normally if your router is starting at .12 firmware. You could either go back to .12 with TFTP and then update normally to .36, or skip going back all together and go directly to .36 with TFTP.

Several people wrote instructions to use TFTP to go back to the .12 firmware during the .32 firmware fiasco back in November, so I imagine all you would have to do is substitute the .12 firmware written in the instructions with the .36 firmware.

Here's a couple of notes regarding TFTP. You will find a link to TFTP2 in the instructions. TFTP2 as it is called in the instructions, is the older version to TFTP (without the two). Most operating systems have TFTP available. I believe MAC OS has TFTP available by default, as does WinXP Pro. In other Window operating systems TFTP can be enabled by going into 'Windows Features' and enabling it. All versions of TFTP use a command prompt to update the router.

See if these instructions here makes sense to you.

jgbrannan wrote:
We use the router and a netgear repeater 2000, and have so many connection troubles since the .32 update.

I'm sorry to read of your troubles. Do know that users reported the issue to Netgear and the .32 firmware was pulled. Evidently not soon enough.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 33 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

In answer to Devor's question: I downloaded the 1.0.0.36 "upgrade" from your link. Any way it is done, the end result is the same wrong firmware response.

In respect to Netgear: I have never in my 72 years of existence ever encountered such a complete lack of customer care or assistance. I have had a running correspondence with them over the past few days regarding their buggy firmware (of which I'm sure they are quite aware) and they have offered nothing but comments that my warranty has expired (about 2 months ago) and then try to sell their paid warranty services. They will take no ownership of the firmware fiasco that they have perpetrated. I am going to continue complaints to them and hope everyone else does the same.
Message 34 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Devor wrote:

If you mean that you didn't revert to factory settings or a hard reset, just so you know that not reverting has caused users issues in the past and is not recommended. That, and using configuration saves from different firmware versions. Both are covered in the update guide.

In any case, again, thanks for letting us know.

Well, Im gonna wait and see. So far no probs at all without hard/factory reset.
Message 35 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

Ressy wrote:
My comments are directed to Netgear staff so that they can improve their firmware.

You will find no Netgear staff here, only user-to-user support.

Ressy wrote:
I have never needed to do a factory reset following a firmware upgrade in more than 10 years of maintaining and upgrading my own home network, as well as multiple family members' networks.

I don't see why you are getting upset over a factory reset of the router. It's not the end of the world and probably would have fixed the issue you were having.

Ressy wrote:
This is the first firmware upgrade I've experienced with Netgear (all previous were Linksys), so maybe that is the difference - Linksys is just better than Netgear with firmware upgrades.

The Linksys should be reset, too.

Ressy wrote:
If you & Netgear are recommending a factory reset following 36's installation, then Netgear should bloody well include it on the "Firmware Upgrade Assistant" page which shows up as the first page after logging into the router. It is NOT there.

Maybe it's different on my router, but the "Router Upgrade" main page includes the following text:

"IMPORTANT! In some cases, such as a major upgrades, you might need to reconfigure your router after upgrading it. Refer to the Release Notes included with the software to find out if you need to reconfigure the router."

Do you want to take a guess at what you'll bloody well find in the Release Notes?

Ressy wrote:
The "Firmware Upgrade Assistant" page is the way most users will be upgrading the firmware. It is how I upgraded the firmware. Turning around and telling me it requires a factory reset when the instruction is NOT on the instructions page, makes Netgear look bumbling, and unprofessional.

With 10 years of so-called experience, how does it look not reading the release notes before updating something?

Ressy wrote:
I do want to thank you sabretooth for attempting to make a user feel stupid, for essentially saying 'follow the instructions' when no instructions showed up to follow.

Irony, it's what's for dinner.

Ressy wrote:
I was previously happy with my netgear purchase. I will be passing on purchasing netgear in the future.

Public conniption fit aside, I have a feeling that your router will see firmware .36 again and a reset.

Ressy wrote:
I've made my comments, and I'm done with this thread and the rude forum poster.

Sabretooth wasn't rude. If anybody was, you were. All Sabretooth did was tried to help you with your router issue. Then you blew a seal and got all funny.
_____
Message 36 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just tried calling and reporting the .32 to .36 problem. The "Tech" was the most unhelpfula nd unknowegable person I've encountered in a while. It took 5 minutes to drum in his head I didn't want tech support but reporting a problem. Looks like I'm stuck on .32. I don't want to TFTP. Contrary to what other people have to say .32 is working fine for me. So I'll just wait until / if they fix it. I really doubt my next router will be a Netgear. Have had other problems in the past not related to this problem before with them.
Message 37 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I didn't even bother to call them, but the email seems to be the same people, and I got them to forward my concern to some department or something. Now TFTP works perfectly and wasn't too hard for me, although I know I am not the average user. I still sent my concern in hopes that its fixed and becomes easier to install this firmware update.

The only issue I had with .32 was that printing on a wireless device connected to a wireless printer did not work, but wireless printer on my wired desktop did, but .36 fixed that once I got it on. I am now happy with my device, but I'm not too impressed with Netgear's support either.
Message 38 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I managed to update to 1.0.0.36 within router GUI from 1.0.0.12. Whilst it's a big improvement on 1.0.0.32 I soon rolled back to 1.0.0.12. I don't think the firmware liked my netgear homeplug with additional switch at the other end. Had problems getting windows to recognise my NAS at the other end of the homeplug (specifically the media and itunes servers) - also Sky Remote app on iPhone would not pick up one of my boxes connected directly to the router via ethernet. So some minor problems that I noticed but enough to make me want to go straight back to 1.0.0.12 wnere everything seemed fine again.

Cheers
Wayne
Message 39 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Devor wrote:
So far, everyone who has attempted to update from .32 to .36 from within the router has received an error. Yet, according to the post 'raginkestrel' made, using TFTP will apparently get .36 onto the router and it works fine. But, so did the .12 firmware for most people.

I used TFTP to go back to .12, although .36 should flash just fine. I just don't want to bother with it.
Message 40 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I tried the new firmware version 1.0.0.36 but downgraded again today.

After I upgraded I found Wifi devices could not connect to the router anymore. I have tried changing the WiFi password in the router and the device. The devices just do not connect anymore.

I downgraded to V1.0.0.12 and set my usual Wifi password and all devices connected again to the router. For me this proves that there is something wrong with the Wifi in this firmware router.

If you do not know how to downgrade I recommend staying on firmware 1.0.0.12.

Cheers,
JeeWee
Message 41 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I too got the notice on the web interface of my WNDR3700v2 currently on 1.0.0.32 that new firmware is available, but after 1.0.0.36 downloaded, I got the message that the file was incorrect. I then downloaded the .zip from support.netgear.com and extracted the 3700v2 1.0.0.36 .img, returned to the web interface, in admin/firmware upgrade browsed to the file and clicked Upload, but the router said that too was incorrect. I logged in and reported the problem, but the reply referred me here because I'm past the 90-day free-support window. Please help. Thank you.
Message 42 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Frustrated by the plethora of problems with the new firmwares I decided to buy a brand new router. What a mistake that was, saw the shiny netgear R6300 and blew £169. Excitedly got it home thinking it would be better range etc. The 5 ghz was worse than the 3700v2 but the biggest deal breaker was the 2.4. It was woeful across every channel - channels the 3700 was fine with. I could see the connection rate hopping back up and down sometimes as low as 13 mbits! Immediately returned it. What a load of garbage. Made me appreciate the wndr3700 much more.

Trouble with the wndr 3700 I was dissatisfied by the 5ghz range to my laptops one floor up. Laptop has the centrino ultimate so does well to pick up approximate 150 mbits on 5 ghz but I noticed recently a few occassional drop outs. iPad on 5 ghz also a bit flakey.

Maybe a slight waste of money but I bought the wndr3700 again but a version 3 this time. Hooked it up in place of the v2 and although slightly less rangey than the v2 it seems ok and latest firmware for most part seems fine. Using 200 mbit powerlines I stuck the older v2 on the other end upstairs as an access point and only enabled the 5 ghz wifi with same SSID but different channel. The setup needs a bit of testing but seems to be the answer. I can see laptop is now connecting at 300 mbits and iPad is more solid. I realise the 200 mbit powerlines do bottleneck potential speed over wifi but I am pretty happy with result. Network do far seems pretty quick and solid now. Plus I can always head downstairs and go closer to the main router for faster throughput. Just wanted to share what I had done. I am also pleased I can use the new GUI as the .12 firmware has the older GUI which does not seem as polished and isn't fully IE9 compatible.

Cheers
Wayne
Message 43 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

jrceloni wrote:
but the router said that too was incorrect.

See if this post here can help you.

As always, be sure to read the suggestions found in the 'check and change' guide. The guide can be found by clicking here. In particular, not using saved configurations between firmware versions and reverting to factory before and after, etc.
_____
Message 44 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

raginkestrel wrote:
I used TFTP to go back to .12, although .36 should flash just fine. I just don't want to bother with it.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
_____
Message 45 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey everyone,

First off, I'm very new to this forum, so be gentle Smiley Happy

I've read through this entire thread, and I haven't heard about the behavior I've experienced with upgrading to v1.0.0.36 f/w, so I thought I'd share what happened to me.

The Facts:

Router: Netgear WNDR3700v2
Original f/w version: 1.0.0.12
New f/w/version: 1.0.0.36
Date of upgrade: 2/3/2013
Upgrade method: via router GUI
Result: Successful (sort of, see Side Effects below)
Side Effects: I'm running two SSIDs on the WNDR3700v2, one on 2.4GHz band, and one on 5GHz band (because its a dual-band router). About every 18-24 hours, the SSID for the 2.4GHz band "vanishes" and all the devices connected on that SSID disconnect (confirmed this from both the client and router side). The 5GHz SSID continues to perform normally. Upon powercycling the router, everything comes back up O.K. (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs).

I'm planning to revert from 1.0.0.36 -> 1.0.0.12 due to this, but otherwise have no complaints. Anyone experienced anything like this?
Message 46 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

The problem is webgui upgrades doesn't usually properly import the settings from the previous version... reboot, reset to defaults (from webgui), upgrade [tftp (best) or via webgui (buggy)], reboot, reset again (using button on back)...

anyhow.. it's a hassle to go thru the steps... but it tends to be the "cleanest" upgrade...
Message 47 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

Something as simple as a undocumented change somewhere. In any case, as I referenced at the top, configuration files are firmware version specific. And, as I said at the top, sometimes the best firmware update is the one you don't perform.
_____
Message 48 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

This Firmware can't have been tested !! it does not work for me even though the Router keeps wanting me to download and install it, keeps saying "Incorrect File" or something like that.

Poor software quality NETGEAR !!
Message 49 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Devor wrote:
CUT CUT
It's Netgear's firmware, of course they are 100 percent responsible and should take the brunt of the criticism. No one has suggested otherwise.
CUT CUT

Devor I might have seem somehow harsh in my previous post - which in the case I apologize - but what I'm trying to say that this is netgear official forum and nobody from netgear is writing in here. I didn't have any problem so far with any firmware, my only "problem" here is that I can't upgrade to .36 where one of the bug I encountered so far seems to addressed (according to release notes). So when I red your "solution" to not upgrade.... let me say I feel a little bit fooled!
There's a simple problem here: nobody who own a 3700v2 seems able to upgrade, HELLO NETGEAR?!
Message 50 of 149
Top Contributors
Announcements