Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700v2/WNDR37AVv2 v1.0.0.36

oldcrooner wrote:
As you'll see from posts by many others throughout this forum, v1.0.0.32 was a corrupt "update" that wrecked many routers before it was pulled. There are instructions here too on ways to revert. I was never able to do it that way and Netgear techs working remotely were not either. I'm not sure why it worked but by running the setup disc I was able to get to v1.0.0.36 and from there back to v1.0.0.12. This really didn't fix anything as signal strength remained impaired and frequent disconnects still occur at some locations. Netgear, acting in a very customer-unfriendly manner, would not accept liability for anything despite the fact that their faulty .32 update was what caused all the problems. The router keeps offering v1.0.0.36 but I'm inclined to let it stay with v1.0.0.12 until I get a replacement...and it won't be a Netgear.

I see countless people saying they reverted or are going to revert but I can't find instructions on how to accomplish this. It's very frustrating.
Message 101 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

BoogieMan wrote:
I see countless people saying they reverted or are going to revert but I can't find instructions on how to accomplish this. It's very frustrating.

I don't see a way to edit my post. I was searching with the wrong keywords it would seem. In case someone else runs in to this post wondering the same thing, go here: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=81373&page=8
Message 102 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

BoogieMan wrote:
I don't see a way to edit my post. I was searching with the wrong keywords it would seem. In case someone else runs in to this post wondering the same thing, go here: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=81373&page=8

Oh and one further thing I discovered, the tftp2.exe program to change the firmware would not accept firmware .img files unless they were in the root directory of my hard drive, it refused any that were in a folder.

So for example this would not work: C:\Firmware\Firmwarefile.img
But this would work: C:\Firmwarefile.img
Message 103 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Audijs wrote:
Since I unselected both:
-UPnP
- co-existence of 20/40 MHz
I've no issues anymore for 48 hours.

It works for me. Thanks.
Message 104 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Some of my observations with the .36 release (and a cry for help)...

I upgraded my WNDR3700v2 to .36 and now my WNCE2001 (a 802.11n 2.4GHz Netgear device) WLAN light will only turn green if I change the WNDR3700v2 to 54Mbps mode, which obviously is not OK. If I try 130 or 300Mbps, I get an amber WLAN light and video streaming is worse than it is at 54Mbps. (Video streaming is also bad on my Boxee Box, which is also WiFi 11n 2.4GHz.)

I've tried reverting to .12 and .06 firmware, but that did not help. I've also tried every available 2.4Ghz channel.

BTW - I placed the WNCE2001 right next to the WNDR3700v2 and that did not change anything.

Any ideas?

Also, can anyone tell me how to completely wipe out the WNDR3700v2 to get rid of any junk the .36 firmware put on there? I'm not talking about a "factory reset". I've done that numerous times. I'm talking about getting this bad boy all the way back to the way it was when I cracked the box.

Thanks,
Fred
Message 105 of 149
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hard reset the WNCE2001 by holding in the reset pin hole for 30 seconds. Now reconfigure it to see if that helps.
Message 106 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

sabretooth wrote:
Hard reset the WNCE2001 by holding in the reset pin hole for 30 seconds. Now reconfigure it to see if that helps.

Yep - already tried that. No joy.

I'm pretty sure it's the WNDR3700v2, as multiple devices now have connectivity issues.

I'm really interested in resetting the WNDR3700v2 back to day 1. Anyone know how?
Message 107 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Try enable 2.4G wireless signal only and de-select 5g wireless signal in advanced settings. Then try changing wireless security option from WPA2 to WPA or WEP (if you have used WPA2) for testing purpose.

Remove USB device if any is connected to usb slot.

Turn off any guest network if any is present. Turn off port-forwarding
Message 108 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

dhoang wrote:
It works for me. Thanks.

The problems for me reappeared. So I now reverted back to .12 and that works fine again.
Message 109 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

All these issues with this version firmware and it is still on Netgear's website. If I had seen this thread before I updated my friend's 3700, I never would have done it. Since the update, performance has faltered and it no longer works reliably with the WN300RP repeater I installed a year or so ago. Just terrible support from Netgear. Very disappointed.
Message 110 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

Just wanted to poke my head in here and thank all you guys for posting about the .36 firmware, I thought I was taking crazy pillz until I found this thread. My IP camera and printer kept losing connections. I was daily rebooting my router just to avoid issues.

I downgraded to .12 firmware without doing any factory resets and such. Everything is peachy keen again, connection is strong to all my devices again. Thanks guys (and gals)!

One problem that persists is my external USB drive through ready_share won't be recognized by my computers anymore (Win 7, mapping network drive), this used to work just fine, but at some point stopped working (even on .12 firmware). My Samsung allshare can see the drive just fine. Anyone have a work around for that??? I've remapped the drives and whatnot. I'm not a noob with win 7 and drive paths. General laziness has kept me from resolving this problem appropriately.
Message 111 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just a little over a year, the router wifi has stopped working all together. Downgrading to firmware 1.12 doesn't help. Time to move on to next router hunt, but netgear won't be my hunting list anymore, cheers.
Message 112 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

I have upgraded to 36 recently, and gone through many of the troubleshooting steps on this thread, including a complete factory reset. I still have the following problem:

After the router reboots, all items are connected. I can print to my wireless printer. After about 10 minutes, everything "disappears" from the attached devices list. Every computer can still browse the internet, but nothing can connect to anything else. In order to print, map a drive, stream video, or anything else that requires one device to connect to another, I have to reboot the router, and do it in the 10-15 minute window before the router decides that it is time to break again.

Anyone else seen this?
Message 113 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

It seems to be a 'feature' of .36 firmware.
I was regularly losing attached device connectivity on 2.4Ghz wireless over a period of time up to 24 hours.

Rebooting would get it working again for a bit, but the whole thing was a pain.

Going back to .12 firmware got it all working again.

Avoid .36 firmware if it is not working for you, expect no support from Netgear.
Message 114 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I can only concur with everyone else on this thread about 1.0.0.36. After about a day, all my devices (mostly android phones/tablets) on the 2.4Ghz wireless can't connect any more (5Ghz wireless does no exhibit this behaviour). Devices seem to get stuck permanently trying to acquire an ip address with no success. Downgrading back to .12 firmware fixes the problem.

Netgear have a LONG history of not responding to legitimate bugs and ignoring users pleads for help, so my advice to people suffering from this bug is to downgrade to .12, as it won't get fixed anytime soon (or ever).
Message 115 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I didn't want to write this, but...

Things happened so that after I updated to the 1.0.0.36 firmware, I moved my router to new place and installed it vertically (previously it stood horizontally). In a few days I noticed this problem with wi-fi devices losing connection with the router. It happened almost every day. First I thought it's because of vertical orientation of the device, but it sounded kinda strange because router do support vertical placement and was even equipped with the stand for this position.

So I decided to look on the net, and after reading this topic, I was completely sure that the problem is in the firmware and I should downgrade to 1.0.0.12 version. But accidentally before downgrading I moved the device again and placed it horizontally on the table. I was sure that this won't help but just gave it a chance... Guess what? The problem disappeared! Month passed, I'm still on the 1.0.0.36 firmware, and wi-fi never lose connectivity!

So for those who don't want to downgrade to previous version, just try to place your device horizontally. In my case it solved the problem completely.
Message 116 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

No luck with .36 here either. I've got a 3700v2 that I've had trouble with for months now. My HP laptop, my wife's macbook Pro, a bridge, the printer, everything lose connection to the router rather frequently. Won't ping at 192.168.1.1 when it loses it, sometimes no reply, sometimes destination host unreachable. Figured updating the firmware couldn't hurt. I tried it a couple weeks ago but my laptop wouldn't connect, or would only connect to websites extremely slowly (minutes). I reverted to .12. Tried again tonight and same thing, except the Macbook Pro works perfectly on .36. Haven't been on it long enough to see if the random problem would hit (seems to occur approximately every 10-15 minutes, but sometimes more often, sometimes less, seems to possibly be triggered sometimes by going to the router address for management. Nothing obvious in the logs). The laptop says it has a strong wifi connection, and it can ping everything just fine, but can't connect to websites. It will resolve addresses though, so it's not DNS. After upgrading the firmware I reset the factory defaults and started over from scratch. I'm out of ideas at this point. How hard is it to just get a router that works? I've got cable if it helps, Time Warner. Since I can't even ping the router when I have problems I obviously suspect the router and not the modem.
Message 117 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same thing happened to me. Very frustrating. I've just fixed the above by switching the IPv6 setting from Disabled to Auto Config. Hope it helps. GJ
Message 118 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've read through quite a few replies to this thread from people who have issues upgrading this firmware.

Last night I went through the process of replacing ddwrt with the .36 rev of this firmware.

I'm not sure if there may be others who pass by this thread in need of a decent procedure to perform this, but I found one here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802

Note that this procedure utilizes tftp as the mechanism to push the .img file to the router. I think some who may have tried other methods to upgrade may find tftp to work where these other methods have failed.

I can't speak to the results of using the above procedure to upgrade from a version of Netgear firmware to another. Theoretically it should as the box is in recovery mode at the point of the tftp transfer. That's a big if, though, so proceed with caution or seek out specific documentation for a tftp push to Netgear installed firmware. Maybe someone who HAS utilized this process to go from Netgear to Netgear firmware can confirm.

Most importantly, most importantly and most importantly - this method (and the comments here in the thread from some) speak of the necessity to do a factory reset before and after the upgrade. The release notes speak to doing a factory reset after the process when coming from rev .6.

I think this is vitally important step no matter what firmware rev one is coming from.

Think of it like this:

This box IS, for all intents and purposes, a computer. In a perfect world someplace far away, a firmware upgrade process SHOULD be able to read a current config and apply that configuration to the new firmware. Does that happen sometimes? Yes, of course it does. Does it happen all the time? No.

The firmware acts as an OS and if one thinks about it in those terms, a "clean" system is far more stable than one that has been upgraded - and upgraded from a point where problems may exist with the current config. These problems may not be readily apparent or they may show up as dropped connections, poor connectivity, features that should work but don't - etc.

I guess the bottom line to what I'm trying to say is do your factory resets and do them as is mentioned in some of the comments here.

Lastly and to repeat - the procedure I linked to up above utilizing tftp to push the image to the box worked flawlessly for me coming from ddwrt if anyone is in that boat. Tftp procedures represents another option for those who may have had problems utilizing other upgrade methods.

Cheers,

cat
Message 119 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

Mmark...thanks for posting re: your problems with IP cams and printers...THAT'S WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!! Now, I'm on to downgrade to 12, then try 36, and likely kick back and stay at 12, because I think I'm hot stuff after learning to flash Tomato and dd-wrt, and '32' is consumer-end crap. Haven't been able to connect with my Yawcam, i-Spy, or any other IP Cam freeware, 'til (DUH!) just after 'upgrading' to '32'. Several other things to note, including 'suddenly', HIGHLY inconsistent 5G broadcast, incompatibility with my dd-wrt-flashed WRT54G (thanks again, Netgear--you actually probably caused me to finally brick one, I'm sure that check is in the mail), and dang if I haven't had major issues with pretty much every other WiFi device I've been connecting to the v2 all along (for over 15 mos. now). Heck, I'm betting it's even the source of my recent bluetooth interference issues (also arose suddenly, right about the time it was flashed). I'd also like to jump on Netgear for releasing crappy firmware; in all, my 3700v2 has had four updates, the very first one from the local ISP 'tech' who said (quote) "I hafta stick around and flash the firmware on this thing...otherwise, they're crap--they won't work, and we've had a lot of problems with 'em". After that, every other flash was pure unnecessary, dysfunctional, crapola. Of course it's not anybody here, but I hate to see otherwise helpful people getting backed into a corner to the point they feel it necessary to 'also' begin 'explaining' the manufacturer's 'dilemma', 'how things work' at corps., etc. Netgear has always had the worst updates...heck, even my older D-Link and Belkin routers didn't have the 'subtle', unpredictable, innocuous, yet overwhelmingly pervasive problems after flashing their firmware. If this was even 'my' actual router (it's my ISPs, I'm not 'touching' it), hell, I'd flash dd-wrt on it so fast it'd make Netgear's head spin. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Furthermore, I agree with ev'body else who had remarkably poor 'interactions' with Netgear's CS--online, on phone, via email...they just do not care--heck, they don't even KNOW what they're doing 99% of the time! Thanks to everyone for putting up this thread...guess I might as well thank Netgear, too, while I'm at it, for not caring to monitor it and delete this post! Smiley Wink
Message 120 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

To Devor, Sabretooth, and all you guys--I 'tftp'd' my v2 just now (took less than 10 mins., worked 1st time, and flawlessly) using Netgear's own instructions at this link, immediately applied my old settings (manually), then re-installed the new version of Yawcam, and logged in on my smartie, and what do you think?
Yuppers, 'working'.
SO, maybe I'll give Netgear a little rest, after worrying me for a few months about that 'upgrade' link that wasn't working, and all that time v12 pretty much playing havoc with my entire home network...
it works now, and I'm a happy cat. Thanks to youse guys for posting all your 'support', which frankly, I'm back at claiming yours is better than 'you-know-who's'.
(Netgear's own).
haha, made my day...have good ones, guys!
I'm off to reclaiming the fun of my home network now (including dragging out a couple of Linksys WRT's I thought I'd bricked, but which were otherwise ACTING QUITE NICELY!).
See ya.
Message 121 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

Sudden issues such as routers starting to lose connections, most probably not so long after your warranty period end, has nothing to do with a bad fimware or a dying routers. It's Planned obsolescence which Netgear (and a few other "big" names in consumer router land) is abusing pretty badly.

There's fysically nothing wrong with your router, nor with your firmware, your crapbox was "programmed" to break in order that you should buy a new one.

Best remedy for this is getting rid of it, and never look back at anything branded Netgear again.
Message 122 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

*** DO NOT UPGRADE TO FIRMWARE 1.0.0.36 ***

This is your first and only warning!!!!

Netgear has disabled multicast in this firmware upgrade and your Windows Media Center Extenders will no long function!! And most likely any other internet multimedia based devices will also no longer function!!!

I had to downgrade to firmware 1.0.0.12 to restore functionality to my Media Center Extenders...

Good luck to you!!!

Cheers,
Rudy
Message 123 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've also got a WNDR3700V2, which is at firmware 1.0.0.36, which it claims is the latest (no new firmware available), and it is causing nothing but grief for Apple device connectivity over the past couple of months. It may also be affecting other wifi devices like a DropCam (wifi), but I cannot be certain about that, and my Ooma VoIP service (cat5e), which again I cannot be certain about.

I do know that my iPhone 4S, my iPad2, and my MacMini all have varying degrees of connectivity issues.

The first symptom was that my apple devices (phone and pad) could see some of my home network devices (my router and NAS for example) but not my Xerox printer - which are all on cat5e hardwired connections to the router. So I could browse the internet, but not print.. and trying to access the http interfaces of my in home cat53 connected router (the WNDR3700v2) worked, as well as the web interface of my NAS, and my switch... just not my phaser printer.

This was very odd since the wifi path goes from the iPad to the WNDR3700V2 and from there it is a hard-wired connection to the various devices. My Windows 7 PC could see and interact with ALL of the devices perfectly well. The PC was hardwired by cat5e as well, and its access didnt' have to go through the WNDR3700v2 (it just went through the HP Switch directly to the devices like the printer).

So my thinking was, something about the combination of WiFi and Apple devices (not just the iPhone4s and iPad, but a brand new MacMini from 2013) was misbehaving.

Its still an ongoing issue as connectivity from my Win7 PC to my MacMini sometimes just goes down. That path would follow my Win7 PC via cat5e to my HP Switch to the WNDR3700v2 via cat5e and from there via wifi to the MacMini.

In all cases, I can connect to the WNDR3700v2 web interface (from my PC via cat5e, or my iPad/Phone4s via wifi), log in and force a restart of the WNDR3700v2.

After the WNDR3700v2 reboots, connectivity is fine.

So I feel somewhat confident in saying the likely culprit is something about how Apple devices connect with the WNDR3700v2 wifi-router via WPA2-PSK.

Things I might try are: switch security to WEP, and/or use my older wifi router for a week and see what happens. Would a firmware downgrade address this? Doesn't seem likely as it all worked great up until about 2 months ago on the existing .36 firmware.
Message 124 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was able to update the firmware, but the device is not functioning as it did prior to the update, so beware. The router no longer lists all connected devices. In addition, other electronics previously working on my network no longer works. For example, my smart hub TV no longer connects to my iDevices and my home share is gone.
Message 125 of 149
Top Contributors
Announcements