Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: WNDR3700v2/WNDR37AVv2 v1.0.0.36

ajdugas wrote:
I was able to update the firmware, but the device is not functioning as it did prior to the update, so beware. The router no longer lists all connected devices. In addition, other electronics previously working on my network no longer works. For example, my smart hub TV no longer connects to my iDevices and my home share is gone.

After the firmware update you did hard reset the router back to factory defaults and reconfigure it back manually to your settings like the instructions say?
Message 126 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

Or, did you read the firmware "Check and Change" sticky at the top of the forum?

While written when there was no WNDR3700v2, the principle is the same. You must of read this thread by now so you already know you can rollback the firmware to the v1.0.0.12 version.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 127 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

Correction: v2=v3
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 128 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

Within the past 24 hours Netgear yanked 1.0.0.36 and replaced it with 1.0.0.12! Anyone know the deal?

I've been using 36 with no obvious problems (haven't done any deep tests though), should I downgrade? I'm not keen on fixing what ain't broke, but what if it's broke and I just don't know it?

http://support.netgear.com/product/WNDR3700v2

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNDR3700v2
Message 129 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I wouldn't downgrade unless you really have ti. That being said I think netgear have finally realised the firmware is a fail. When I had it kept dropping. Only .12 is stable. Has the penny dropped at netgear? Maybe a new one is on the way - I hope if it does they have actually bothered to test it.
Message 130 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks, I guess I'll leave it alone. I got the following response from Netgear Support:

...the reason 1.0.0.36 was pulled out is
because that firmware prevented new firmware updates (manual or
automatic) to go through, and that the only way to update the firmware
to a latest version is to perform TFTP.

At this point it would be your
option if you would like to downgrade to 1.0.0.12, however if you're
not experiencing any problems with your router at this point then it
would not be necessary to perform a firmware downgrade.

So I asked the obvious question, but:

...the firmware of all NETGEAR devices are being
updated from time to time. A new firmware version is always being
worked on, but it's release would depend on how critical the update is.
Please keep on checking the NETGEAR website to check for updated
firmware.

Oh well....
Message 131 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

Farnsworth Quoting Netgear Support wrote:
...the reason 1.0.0.36 was pulled out is because that firmware prevented new firmware updates (manual or automatic) to go through, and that the only way to update the firmware to a latest version is to perform TFTP.

It's interesting Netgear Support said that about the v1.0.0.36 firmware. From the v1.0.0.36 release notes:

New Features & Bug Fixes:

The v1.0.0.32 firmware (also pulled) was the firmware version that prevented firmware changes. The v1.0.0.36 firmware, as noted above, was suppose to have addressed that issue. Some people updated directly from the v1.0.0.12 firmware to the v1.0.0.36 firmware, only later to rollback to the v1.0.0.12 firmware due to wLAN issues. Which is a much more believable reason for eventually pulling the v1.0.0.36 firmware.

As to whether you should or shouldn't rollback the firmware -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
_____
Message 132 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

It's about time! The v1.0.0.3x versions were problematic from the start and Netgear failed to respond quickly. I don't know if I'll ever buy or recommend Netgear again.
Message 133 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

Devor wrote:
The v1.0.0.36 firmware, as noted above, was suppose to have addressed that issue.

Ha.... I was one of those who went directly from .12 to .36, right out of the box since that's where it was as a refurb. I thought the config menus were overly buggy but haven't noticed any performance issues, guess I don't use whatever is broken. One thing that DID bug me was that even though the refurb came with 90 days factory support, they wouldn't let me register without a S/N...AND they don't appear to supply any way to get the one without the other. Not that I actually needed support, only that I think all refurb owners deserve to be on some official list somewhere for notification in case of new safety and security issues, refurb or not.

Anyway, I'd like to hope that "prevented new firmware updates" is accurate, and thus implies there is actually a "new" update in the pipeline to "prevent"....

BTW Devor, love your avatar. I used my C-64 through '94, and didn't buy another computer until I gave up access to company resources in 2007 and got this MacBook.
Message 134 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I got a version .37 from Netgear support that should solve the Wifi issues. I guess that when the test is successful, that version will be made available. I'll try to test it this week.
Message 135 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes would love to hear your feedback on .37 version. The main things / problems I noticed with the last 2 firmwares was devices on same wifi SSID unable to communicate with eachother and an inability to downgrade firmware unless using TFTP method. I believe .36 fixed that but it had problems of it's own with wifi dropping regulary forcing a reboot of the router.
Message 136 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well, I've decided to move on. I switched to a Netgear router from my old Belkin when our household started using more wireless devices and the HDHomeRun device to stream TV to our networked devices. I had no complaints until the firmware upgrade debacles. I made do spreading devices among the bands to maintain interactivity. But I've decided to throw in the towel. I've found the members of these forums to be as helpful as they could be under the circumstances. But I've given up on Netgear. Bought a Trendnet AC1750 router (TEW-812DRU), sold my old WNDR 3700v2, and couldn't be happier.

Thanks to all who've ever tried to help me get the most out of my old Netgear.
Message 137 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well I am still running .12 as the new .37 has not materialised. To be honest I would not advise anyone to move away from .12 even if it does come out. I had terrible problems like many others with .32 and .36, wish I never went near them. Firmware .12 on the other hand has been rock solid for me. Ever since buying the router about 2 years ago I have only ever had to reboot the router twice under .12, once due to samba shares cryptically dissappearing and the other reason I can't even remember. If only netgear could of maintained the high level on this firmware. It seems all their newer firmwares across their router range are very prone to horrible bugs. Whether this is because they don't QA test thoroughly I don't know. Although netgear are not alone in this slackness, they are all at it Microsoft, Apple with bad buggy iOS or internet explorer. Newer isn't necessarily better. Trouble is there is a kind of 'change for the sake of change attitude' amongst them all at the moment. Anyway to anyone who owns the v2, if your on .12 just stick with it until the router dies it's natural death - it's just not worth the pain!
Message 138 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Since updating a friends 3700v2 to .32, it has been problematic, ex: range issues, dropped connections, etc. I posted and watched all the subsequent negative posts. I recently downgraded it to .12 using TFTP, factory reset the configuration, and reconfigured it. The difference was noticeable right away. I'll stick with .12 unless a newer version gets good reviews.
Message 139 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a client with a new WNDR3700V2 which Best Buy must have had old stock of because the support person told me it was over 15 months since the manufacture date and therefore would not be supported (by phone) until I sent them a copy of the original purchase receipt.

This client is extremely frustrated with this product and I'm not confident that the first line support personnel even grasp the issues I'm describing.

It has firmware version 1.0.0.32 which the auto detect for firmware updates says is the latest release.

We are getting the following symptoms:
1. 2.4 GhZ transmission drops off altogether and associated SSID is not seen.
2. Because the wireless printer only supports the 2.4GhZ band it connects to that. If all the Mac (and Apple products) connect to the 5GhZ band there is no communication of bonjour packets between the bands. (No... network isolation is not turned on.)
3. If the Macs/iPad/iPhone et al connect to the 2.4 GhZ band they can magically print.
4. Once the 2.4GhZ SSID disappears the ONLY fix is to turn off the router and turn it back on again.

This product was recommended highly by the sales rep to my client but I worry it may have been more about a sales spiff than a good fit for their needs.

At this point they are wanting to trash the router and buy a new one that supports AC band as well.

It was frustrating to have to read the support person the serial number (very hard to read and no ability to view it in the web interface!), register the product and then after all of that be told there was no support. It was not sold as a refurb but the support person said it should have been refurbed after being in stock that long. (My apologies if the preceding constitutes a flame... it's my first post and I'm not sure what the thresholds for such frustrations are.) Smiley Happy
Message 140 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

TFH - If the router you are referring to is indeed a WNDR3700v2, based on my experience and others in this thread, I would downgrade it to 1.0.0.12. That was the last decent version. You'll probably have to use the TFTP method to downgrade it. I would also do a factory default once it is back to 12 and reconfigure it with your settings.
NOTE: There are v1 - v4 versions of the 3700 and I'm not sure 12 will work with all of them but it works fine with a v2.
Message 141 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I haven't looked on the site but I'm assuming V12 of the firmware is still available?

Cheers.
Message 142 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, Netgear downrev'd the version they are posting on their website for the v2. You may need to upload the firmware to the router using TFTP since one of the bugs is you can't do it using the web interface firmware update button. I also suggest defaulting the configuration and reconfiguring it after you have uploaded the firmware so take note of your settings, ex: SSID, admin password, wireless security options, passphrase, etc.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688
Message 143 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

1.0.1.4 hit the download center within the last 24 hours. Release notes:

-----
New Features & Bug Fixes:

* Fixed the security hole issue (CVE-2013-3069, CVE-2013-3073,CVE-2013-3074)

Known Issues:

* NTFS write performance (upload to WNDR3700 attached USB storage) is much slower than read no matter using samba or FTP. FTP read is 5 times faster than write. Samba (ie. access network drive via windows) read is 2 times faster than write.

* Sometimes clicking “Safely remove USB device” button can't remove USB storage safely.
Workaround: Make sure you are not accessing the attached USB device and the LED on USB device is not blinking (it means no one is accessing it). Then you need to remove the USB device directly and ignore the message about “remove USB device failure) from web GUI.

* Traffic meter – Traffic volume control is not accurate due to sampling rate. It may exceed the limit.
Workaround: Set a proper number in “Mbytes before the monthly limit is reached” in the traffic control.
-----

Message 144 of 149
Highlighted
Novice

Sorry -- 1.0.1.14 .
Message 145 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have upgraded to the V1.0.1.14 firmware, and everything seems to be working fine. The GUI remained at V1.0.0.120, so you won't have to learn a new interface. All devices are communicating with each other. I haven't had any connections drop. Web pages also appear to be loading a little faster as well. I went to the Shields Up website, and port scans are showing better protection by the router, although ports 1024 -1055 remain open. Those will need to be closed manually. I will repost if anything strange occurs. So far, the update appears to be working well, and I definitely recommend it for the security improvements.
Message 146 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

May I suggest the best way to help would be to post your v1.0.1.14 firmware experiences in the main thread (see Sticky at the top of forum). With the exception of those that decided to keep using it, the v1.0.0.36 firmware was pulled from the Netgear Download Center due to issues. Which makes this thread somewhat irrelevant.
_____
Message 147 of 149
Highlighted
Luminary

Oops, I didn't read your other post until after reading this thread. Smiley Surprised
_____
Message 148 of 149
Highlighted
Aspirant

I think I'll take a wait and see attitude. The list of fixes seems awfully short considering all the complaints about the post 1.0.0.12 versions.
Message 149 of 149
Top Contributors
Announcements