Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR3700v3 losing DHCP ability and can not access Admin page

Modem: Comcast Business Gateway SMCD3G-CCR - Static IP - DHCP turned off
Router: DHCP Enabled, WAN set to public Comcast IP, hard-coded subnet, IP, gateway, etc.

Situation: Intermittently, the router stops providing DHCP services (I assume) because I can't get a wireless connection established, even though the SSID is being broadcast, and I can't perform an ipconfig /renew.

I have a webserver behind the router which is showing slow connection speeds to my users, but it is available.

What else is odd, though, is that I can't access the admin screen. Whether I use 192.168.1.1 or try to access it through remote access, it times out. During this time, any wired connection that had already established continues to work, albeit slowly.

If I restart the router, it all comes back and works fine. However, I lose the logs, so I can't see what's happening. I had set up the router to email me the logs hourly, but the last email I received was last night at 11 pm (I went to sleep soon after that).

Any thoughts? Is there a way to retain log data between reboots? Any idea what causes the problem?
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700v3 losing DHCP ability and can not access Admin page

I rebooted the router so I could access it and provide the firmware version: V1.0.0.22_1.0.17
Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You may want to hard reset first and see if issues pops up
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

That feels a little extreme as a diagnostic tool. Smiley Tongue I mean, I will, if I must, but it seems like a lot.

Although, I suppose I should have mentioned that this started, or maybe got worse, when I disabled DHCP on the modem. I had tried letting the WAN get its IP assignment from the modem, but when I did that, port forwarding no longer worked for my server. I could access the webpage on the LAN, but it was inaccessible from the WAN. hard-coding the router with the public static IP fixed that, but then I was getting the weird timeout problems (presumably with DHCP).

Is there any way to SSH into the router, or otherwise access and/or dump the logs before rebooting the router and losing them?
Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Hard reset the router. Not worth with trying when you can reset and setup

You can not ssh to router .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I performed a factory reset and then went through and manually made the changes I needed. I still ran into the DHCP server failure and was unable to log into the router without a power-cycle. Any ideas?

I have re-enabled DHCP on the SMC Modem, although I don't understand how that could have affected the router's DHCP function. It was just the last change I remember making before this happened.
Message 6 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

And, no difference (which just makes sense), but my router is not allowing access to admin and is not processing DHCP requests.
Message 7 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

manually made the changes I needed.

what is the change?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
what is the change?

I have a webserver behind the router, using a static LAN IP (the router is set up to use my static WAN IP - although I'm using Google's DNS servers instead of Comcast's if that makes a difference). I have port forwarding for http (80), https (443), ssh (22), FTP (20-21), Telnet (23) and Webmin to my server, so I added those in. I have a few other machines on the network that have reserved IP addresses.

I also have a ReadyShare USB hard drive attached, so I've made basic settings accommodations for that, as well as enabling remote access on a non-default port.

TimeZone is set to my local time with Daylight Saving enabled.

Is there a limit to the number of devices that can connect, somewhere? I've not seen one (with three adults and various game systems, I have a lot of possible connections). I've only ever seen it attach 9 before it goes wonky, but that may be correlation and not causation.

I still don't understand why I would lose access to DHCP and all wireless devices would lose connection, while the wired devices stay up and accessible to the internet, assuming they don't come unplugged, because they won't reconnect. In addition, the router stops sending log emails.
Message 9 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

if you removed port 80 on forwarding, can you access the router gui?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I can access the router admin GUI when it's working right, but the same time that DHCP and wireless stop working, I lose access to the Admin. I don't see how that can possibly be related to forwarding http requests to my webserver.
Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I have re-enabled DHCP on the SMC Modem, although I don't understand how that could have affected the router's DHCP function. It was just the last change I remember making before this happened.

On smc , dhcp , firewall and NAT should be disabled to pass the public IP

IF DHCP was enabled was doing double NAT , SMC uses 10.x IP so that wouldn't be an issues.

Whether I use 192.168.1.1 or try to access it through remote access, it times out. During this time, any wired connection that had already established continues to work, albeit slowly.

Wired PC still had pingable to router and access the GUI?

but the same time that DHCP and wireless stop working, I lose access to the Admin.

How do define the DHCP stop working and wireless stop working at same time.

IP becomes 169? , wireless shows not connected?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

OK, I'll disable it again on the modem, which is what I thought it should be in the first place - it had no actual effect one way or another.

No, the wired PCs can ping the router and get healthy response, but it can not access the gui.

What I mean by DHCP and wireless failing at once is that when this problem occurs, all the wireless clients drop and won't reconnect. Wired devices stay connected, but if I try to release and renew the IP or if I pull the cable and reinsert it, it won't get a new connection or new IP. I'm forced to reboot the router and everything comes back.
The router admin panel is completely inaccessible from any machine, wired or otherwise, until I reboot it and then I can access it again.

Is this particular one defective?
Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

OK, I'll disable it again on the modem, which is what I thought it should be in the first place - it had no actual effect one way or another.

If you don't setup SMC correctly, it will not able to setup public IP on 3700.

Wired devices stay connected, but if I try to release and renew the IP

IPCONFIG /RELEASE
IPCONFIG /RENEW

Assume you get 0.0.0.0?

if I pull the cable and reinsert it, it won't get a new connection or new IP. I'm forced to reboot the router

After you release the and plug the cable correct?

The router admin panel is completely inaccessible from any machine, wired or otherwise, until I reboot it and then I can access it again.

No, the wired PCs can ping the router and get healthy response, but it can not access the gui.

I rebooted the router so I could access it and provide the firmware version: V1.0.0.22_1.0.17

There is new firmware .
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNDR3700v3

Suggest to flash the firmware, reset the router .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

The modem is set up correctly, it has its IP and is providing connection just fine.

Yes, I know how to do an IPCONFIG. I get a DHCP service unavailable or couldn't be contacted message.

The wired devices will hold their connection and IP address until I do something to interrupt that, and then it can't regain it until I reboot the router so that the DHCP service restarts.

My firmware is V1.0.0.22_1.0.17 ... the latest firmware on that site is V1.0.0.22_1.0.17. How is there later firmware?

Seriously, I have said the same thing over and over. Am I being unclear? I feel like you aren't even listening to me, and are just assuming I don't know what I'm doing. If you don't have an answer to the actual problem I'm experiencing, perhaps you can point me to someone who can.

Intermittently, after a period of time, all of my wireless connections drop, while wired connections stay up with access to the internet, and the router will not acknowledge DHCP requests. In addition, when this happens, I am unable to reach the admin GUI page from any machine, even the wired ones that can still ping the router and access the internet. During this time I can still access the SMC admin panel on 10.1.10.1 (I hadn't mentioned that before).
Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
Virtuoso

V1.0.0.22_1.0.17

Oh, I see the file name with that in zip. .. I would lower the firmware
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-