Re: WNDR3700v3 - video from shared Win7 drive stutters

sherpa25
Aspirant

WNDR3700v3 - video from shared Win7 drive stutters

Hi,
I just got my WNDR3700v3 from Amazon. Thought it was the v1 as the description didn't indicate the version (v2 would have been fine).

Anyhow, setting up turned out fine (updated to the latest firmware), but the problem I'm having is when watching relatively high bit-rate videos (BD rips at 25-35Mb/s) stored in my shared folder in my Win7 PC from my 'wired' WDTV Live (latest model -'streaming').

Playback works fine when using my old WRT54Gv3. I got the Netgear primarily to achieve gigabit speeds when wired so I'm wondering why the videos are stuttering with this gigabit router, but working fine w/ the old WRT54G. I ran iperf from my WDTV Live (using a laptop) and confirmed much faster throughput using the Netgear (600,000kbps vs only 90,000kbps w/ the WRT54G) so I'm wondering why it's stuttering w/ the new router.

Any advise? Perhaps I should return this and just get the RT-N16?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
jlewter
Guide

If I was to purchase new today it would probably be the black diamond as first pick, but the 3700 should still be fine.
I dont have a v3 box.

Check to see what the link speed is to the WD box. As it only has a 100 meg port then something might be failing on nego and it's causing the speed to drop to 10 meg. I know some people have hardware problems where old 100 meg gear hates these new gigabit ports and nego fails causing a drop to 10 meg.

Look under "Maintenance" / "Router Status"
On the bottom of the main frame/page click "Show Statistics"
That should show the actual link rates for lan1/2/3/4 and such.
Message 2 of 8
sherpa25
Aspirant

Thanks. I checked it and this is what I get: (LAN3 connected to the WDLive - wired)

TxPkts: 14706
RxPkts: 13221
Collision: 0
Tx B/s: 27790
Rx B/s: 2643

From what I understand, Tx is transmit and Rx is receive, and I should have both values greater than my video's bitrate for it not to stutter? Since Rx is showing only 2643 B/sec, it's lower than the video's bitrate of 32Mbps, causing the stutter/lag?

How can I measure this too w/ my old WRT54G?

Is there a solution to this? And if the problem is with the hardware issues between old 100mbps and gigabit hardware, won't this be the same issue if I change to the RT-N16 or RT-56u (w/c I'm considering as a replacement)?
Message 3 of 8
sherpa25
Aspirant

Update: After 15mins, these were the new values:

TxPkts: 1384563
RxPkts: 1691998
Collision: 0
Tx B/s: 377695
Rx B/s: 550660

but same thing, videos with high bit-rate still stutter. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 8
jlewter
Guide

What does it show the link speed as?
Message 5 of 8
sherpa25
Aspirant

shows 1000mb/s... the light on the port was green (not amber, for 100mb/s). Nonetheless, just tried some changes on my PC's net card (Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC -NDIS 6.20) by changing 'Flow Control' to enabled and 'Speed' to 1000mbps full duplex from auto nego, and it worked. Though I don't know why it didn't work with auto nego. Thanks much.
Message 6 of 8
pchelp
Aspirant

It could be the WD Live. I remember reading somewhere else that the 'gigabit' networking on it is advertising fluff. Yes, the connection is gigabit, but the processor in it isn't strong enough to actually support that datarate. I'm not an expert on this so my real suggestion is that you also ask this question in a WD Live forum-just in case.
Message 7 of 8
sherpa25
Aspirant

No need. Like I said, it streaming worked fine after I made the changes (i.e. those I stated in my last post) to the router.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements