WNDR3700v3

inertialdrift
Aspirant

WNDR3700v3

For the life of me I can't figure out why my internet speed is stuck at 50-75 mbps download when I'm paying for 200 mbps. I've looked through the router setting thoroughly and I even thought it may of been the USB wifi adapter. This router is N600 which I believe is far exceed the needed requirement to obtain 200 mbps.

I am using TWC as ISP.

This is my current set up

SB6183 modem
WNDR3700v3 router
A6210 USB wifi adapter

Both channels 2.4 and 5ghz are Up to 300 mbps set from the router.

Anybody for some suggestions? I would not like to spend more money into a new router but if I'm push so I'll have no choice since I'm paying for that particular speed plan.
Message 1 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDR3700v3

The WAN – LAN throughput limit of the ‘3700 is stated to be over 500Mbps, well above your ISP rate;

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12756/~/review-of-netgear-wndr3700s-features-%26-benef...

If you use a wired connection to the router do you then see your expected level of throughput? When connected by wireless what does the computer show as the Link Rate, you may need to look at the adaptor status to find that? The selected link rate of ‘up to 300Mbps’ for the 2.4 GHz band is likely to be halved if there are nearby networks, and the 5GHz band has less range than the 2.4GHz band which can result in a reduced throughput.
inertialdrift
Aspirant

I have yet to connect anything device directly from the router. I will give that a try after I get back from work today.

For my wifi adapter its the netgear A6210 via USB.
Under the wireless connection status my "Speed: varies from 54-144mbps" But usually it stays 144 most of time.

IPv4 connect
IPv6 none

There are plenty of network close to where I live. 8 pretty decent close proximity and decent signals.

Base what I see on my network list I spot just 2 5ghz up. Understand the range of the 5ghz vs 2.4ghz but to be honest I'm maybe less than 20 feet from the router. But I am between a bathroom and hallway walls which aren't even concrete.
Message 3 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think if you could try a wired connection it would be a big help in showing whether or not WiFi is the limiting factor.
inertialdrift
Aspirant

Line connection got between 160-180mbps.

With same laptop and in wireless 1 feet away from the router got avg 30-35 Mbps down.

Only thing consistent was upload at 20 mbps.

Where we go from there?
Message 5 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A minor point, not the answer to your issue, but the typical recommended minimum distance between a router (or AP) and a client is about 1 metre, if too close this can cause distortion of the signal and reduce throughput.

Anyway, it seems fairly clear that your issue is with WiFi, there are several reasons why you might get low throughput;

• On the 2.4GHz band the effect of nearby networks is to reduce channel bandwidth from 40MHz to 20MHz to reduce contention, in some instances operating at 40MHz when not appropriate can in itself reduce throughput.
• True radio interference, non-networking wireless devices that are licenced to operate on the 2.4GHz band such as baby monitors / video senders / security cameras can significantly disrupt WiFi networks, sometime to the point where the any transmission from the network is effectively blocked. These non-networking devices are often high powered and high bandwidth, and don’t even need to be in your property to cause problems – could be a nearby neighbour.
• WiFi is a half duplex communication method, there must only ever be one transmitter operating at any one time.
• Because of its half duplex mode, throughput tests which use data that requires acknowledgment (that’s at the packet level) will show a significantly lower throughput then unacknowledged data transfers.
• The number of antennae in the AP (router) and client is significant to the method of data transfer, generally throughput will be limited by the device with the fewest antennae.
• Line of sight and objects blocking the path will significantly attenuate.

You could try these;

• If neighbouring houses are close, ask them if they are operating any wireless devices such as baby monitors. Alternatively take your router to a different location and test throughput there.
• As a test set up the router as an Access Point with your modem, this will avoid most of the routing functions, but will in that arrangement only allow one computer to connect wirelessly.
• Use a throughput measuring tool like iPerf / Netstress etc. to measure throughput over your LAN, from a wireless computer to a wired (gigabit) computer. This arrangement can also be used at a different location without the need for an Internet connection.
• Measure throughput using different types of data streams TCP and UDP will have different throughputs.
• If you have access to a different WiFi adaptor 802.11n rather than AC, give that a try.
• Try different devices on your LAN e.g. smartphones / tablets / other laptops.

With your current A6210 adaptor do you achieve significantly higher throughput with other WiFi networks?
inertialdrift
Aspirant

Looking under advance setting for wireless set up there is already a check mark for 40/20mhz contention.

Both sides of my neighbors place don't use any wireless fancy equipment other than their internet wifi.

One thing I didn't like about the 3700v3 is that the antennas were internal. Quite frankly possibly not even strong enough to reach thru other side of the house.

All the smartphones/tablets we checked have the same average 30-50 mbps download. So its not a device reasons that isn't picking it up. I don't believe our smartphones in the house can reach over 50mbps to me honest.

With the A6210 adapter I never used it on a different wifi internet. It has been at my house since the days I've bought it.

I will keep tinkering around see what will happen. If nothing happens maybe its time to invest into a AC router and the beam focus technology will significantly increase the output of the signal speed.
Message 7 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well from my own personal experience I have used the ‘3700, ‘3800, ‘4000, ‘4500, R7000 and a whole lot of ‘in-betweens’ and it wasn’t until I got the R7000 with an appropriate AC adaptor (Intel AC 7260) that I achieved significant throughput of over 300Mbps. That’s actual throughput rather than the Link Rate, and I believe it peaked at just over 300Mbps simply because that’s the best wired rate I can get from my heavily loaded wired network. I know other people have had (have) issues with the R7000 but I run it as an Access Point and I’ve found it to be rock solid, very good coverage for my house, and consistently high throughput.

Unfortunately from the description you have given so far regarding your WiFi measurements and environment, and current router settings, I don’t think there’s much more you can do in terms of tinkering. My only concern with your idea of getting a new router is that if there is some external influence then it might also affect the new, but even so I would hope the newer router would cope better and the technology would hopefully alleviate some of the issues.
inertialdrift
Aspirant

Interesting thing I found today Babylon. Those times I was running the speedtest I was going thru usual 2.4 band which on all my laptop and devices capped at 30-55 mbps.

The 5 band is crap when I first used it and never looked back into it again. However I decided to run a speedtest for the hell of it and I got 85-110 mbps now. Still far from the 200 but it's a major improvement.

I'm confused about this. I would expect the 2.4 would have no problem pulling that kind of numbers the 5 did. Can you explain why this happened?

Either way I'm looking to grab new AC router. The 5 band is such crap on the 3700. I try pulling speedtest signal one wall away from the router and it just total crapped out.

Thanks
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E