× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700v4 Access control query

dydey
Follower

WNDR3700v4 Access control query

Access control question. Hoping people can help

Yes, my router is quite old and I've been behind on the firmware releases. But I'm reluctant to buy as a new model if the security is the same as the new firmware just applied on the old model

I've just updated to the latest availble for the router (1.0.2.102) and the wi-fi only MAC filtering has gone to be replaced with access control for what seems to allow/block access for both wired and wi-fi connections

I don't want to just allow all connections and leave the wi-fi as only secured by a password. But, if I block new devices this also blocks wired devices which is a pain

What I'm trying to do is allow all wired devices to connect with no filtering, but reduce the wi-fi devices to allowed MAC addresses only. This is how the device was configured before the update and the new update seems a backwards step in security to me

The older firmware blanket allowed wired connections, not anymore it seems

Any thoughts as other manufacturers seems to offer this

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 2
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDR3700v4 Access control query

Hi dydey,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. The Access Control is more secure than the Wireless Access List. The Wireless Card access list only blocks wireless devices that's why the wired devices is not being blocked not like the Access Control feature wherein you may allow or block wired and wireless devices. The Access control is also secure because even those devices not connected to your network can be blocked in advance as long as you have the MAC Address of the devices.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7