× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700v4: Can I Use Same SSID On 2.4 and 5.0?

AllenCohn
Guide

WNDR3700v4: Can I Use Same SSID On 2.4 and 5.0?

Likely this has been asked before, but i can't find it. Apologies about the repeat...

I have an old WNDR3700v4. I would like to use the same SSID and password for the 2.4 and 5.0 bands. Would it be OK for me to do this?

I think that modern routers allow this through a feature called "SmartConnect," but I don't see that in the manual of this old router.

May I simply enter the same SSID and password in the router setup screen?

Thanks,
Allen

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: WNDR3700v4: Can I Use Same SSID On 2.4 and 5.0?

@AllenCohn wrote:

Likely this has been asked before, but i can't find it. Apologies about the repeat...

I have an old WNDR3700v4. I would like to use the same SSID and password for the 2.4 and 5.0 bands. Would it be OK for me to do this?

I think that modern routers allow this through a feature called "SmartConnect," but I don't see that in the manual of this old router.

Thanks,
Allen

You can use the same ssid. its not the same as smart connect as smart connect does band steering. Meaning it moves a device from 2.4ghz to 5ghz based off bandwidth/distance needs. You might have a few issues with older/single band devices while setting up connections to the network. there's also a few other pro's/cons. 

http://blog.luxul.com/2018/06/01/should-i-name-my-2-4ghz-5ghz-wireless-networks-the-same/

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@AllenCohn wrote:

Thanks,
Allen

You can use the same ssid. its not the same as smart connect as smart connect does band steering. Meaning it moves a device from 2.4ghz to 5ghz based off bandwidth/distance needs. You might have a few issues with older/single band devices while setting up connections to the network. there's also a few other pro's/cons. 

http://blog.luxul.com/2018/06/01/should-i-name-my-2-4ghz-5ghz-wireless-networks-the-same/

Message 2 of 3
AllenCohn
Guide

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! You solved my problem.

Allen

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7