× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700v4 constantly dropping wifi signal

TimHerbert
Aspirant

WNDR3700v4 constantly dropping wifi signal

I recently changed my modem from an old Comcast-supplied modum because I kept losing my wifi signal.  I upgraded to a Motorola/Arris SURFboard modem (SB6141).  When the connection works, it works great.  However, I cannot keep the signal.  My WNDR3700v4 constantly drops the wifi signal and even the LAN doesn't work.  There is something obviously wrong here.  

I need help!

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDR3700v4 constantly dropping wifi signal

Change the channels on the router by accessing the admin page.

Try channels 1,6 and 11 which are known as non-overlapping channels.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @TimHerbert,

Welcome to the community!

When you bypass the router, will your connection be intermittent? I suggest that you direct connect your computer straight into your modem and observe the connection.

If everything else is working without any disconnection, adjust the MTU setting on your router. See this link for more info.

Let us know what happens.

Regards,

Message 2 of 10
TimHerbert
Aspirant

It worked for a couple of days but I have been unable to maintain a wireless connection for about 24 hours.  I can get a wireless signal but I can't keep it for more than about an hour.

Message 3 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TimHerbert Can you confirm if you have a stable Internet connection when you connect directly to the modem?

Regards,

Message 4 of 10
TimHerbert
Aspirant

Hi ElaineM.  Sorry it took so long to reply.  Yes, I do.  Currenty, I have an internet connection through the ethernet cable from the router, but it is not real stable.  Currently, I cannot get a wireless signal even though all the lights on the router indicate that I should.  My iphone and laptop can see the network, but cannot get internet connectivity.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TimHerbert I would suggest to reset and reconfigure. Push the reset button the router for 10 seconds and wait for the power light to be stable.

Once stable, configure the router just like it's out of the box. If after resetting the direct connection to the router is not stable, try adjusting the MTU setting on the router. In order to do this, access the admin page of the router then under Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup set the MTU size to 1400. Once done, power cycle the devices then observe the connection.

As for the wireless settings, you should have the wireless settings back to default and be able to connect to it.

Let us know what happens.

Message 6 of 10
TimHerbert
Aspirant

I now have an inoperable router.  No internet connectivity what so ever.  MTU set at 1400 - nothing.  MTU set at 1500 (the optimal size according to the method recommended by Netgear support) - nothing.

I believe it is time for a new router.  Not a Netgear, but one I can actually count on working.

Message 7 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TimHerbert I apologize about that. Do you still have the proper lights turned on, on the router?

Make sure that you have IP addresses under Internet Port. Those IP addresses are the ones provided to you by your ISP once the router is configured correctly.

On the router admin page, under Internet Setup select "Use Computer MAC Address" and hit apply then check again if you have IP addresses under Internet Port.

Looking forward to your response.

Message 8 of 10
TimHerbert
Aspirant

All lights on and normal looking.

Under Internet Setup, the modem is set to get an IP address dynamically from the ISP.  The MAC address is set to use computer MAC address.

My wireless devices (laptop, iPhones) see the network but have no internet access.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Message 9 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Change the channels on the router by accessing the admin page.

Try channels 1,6 and 11 which are known as non-overlapping channels.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7