× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR3700v4 isues with Vizio TV and Netfix

-DC-
Aspirant

WNDR3700v4 isues with Vizio TV and Netfix

Hello,

I just bought a new Vizio TV and when I am playing netflix for less than 30 mins I loose sound and 30 seconds or so later the playback stops. If I used the test netflix connection it errors out like there is no internet connection. If I look at the TV wfi settings I am still connected with good siginal strengh and the TV test also fails connectivity tests. I have upgraded to the latest FW 1.0.2.80 and that did not help. 

When the problem occurs my phone on the same WIFI can no longer access the internet either, I can disconnect from WIFI and reconnect just fine and even get an IP address with no problem but there is just no connection. I know my internet connection is ok becuase I can still use my hardwired PC. If I wait 5 - 10 mins and try again the connection is fine and things start working again.

I never had any issues with my wifi in the past with my iphone or ipads, it seems to be related to this TV in someway but then again maybe its the router that does not play well with the TV????? 

anyone have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As what @William10a had mentioned, it could be a router limitation.

Perhaps, LAN connection is the best route for your situation.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @-DC-

It's also possible that the router is degrading.

If you don't use the TV at all and just play Netflix on your smartphone or your computer, will you get the same result?

Which signal you're using to connect your TV to the router? Is it 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

One thing you may try is to change channel on the router.

Message 2 of 11
William10a
Master

Possible that your router is showing its limitations with the tv's wifi most routers of the point have a single core processor and a small amount memory to work with when compared to today's routers, not saying that should go out and buy a new router but may be placing the tv on a powered lan adaptor to connect the router to the tv may help by taking off the wifi network without having to run lan cable from the router to the tv.

Message 3 of 11
-DC-
Aspirant

Thanks for the input, I don't have the problem steaming on other we stream iPads and iPhones just fine with no issues. I will try changing the channel on it I haven't tried that yet.
Message 4 of 11
-DC-
Aspirant

I have only used the 2.4 as the 5 is showing a lower signal strength.

I would try plugging in direct but the TV is wifi only.

I found another thread where someone mentioned vizio tv with Netflix having issues with DOS attack prevention on the net gear platform. I am going to look for the option to disable this for a test. If this fixes the issue that would be great however I shouldn't have to turn on security on my router for my tv to function correctly.
Message 5 of 11
-DC-
Aspirant

OK so far so good things appear to be working now, however I should'nt have to compromise security on my router in order to get my TV to work. I think NetGear should be looking into this themselves and fix it with a firmware update.

If I go into Advanced Setup, Setup, WAN Setup and check the box "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" it appears to have fixed my problem. I used to only be able to stream netflix for 5 - 20 mins, last night after setting this option I went with no issues for several hours. I wont be suprised if it tanks again, however I think I might have found the problem and it was the router detecting DoS and shutting me down.

If NetGear would like to work on this issue with me I would be happy to test and provide logs / feedback to get a real fix in place. It does not appear to be just me having this issue as I have found other posts on the Internet and is where I got the idea on how to get my TV running.

Message 6 of 11
-DC-
Aspirant

well im back at it, the DOS disable does not appear to have fixed the issue. I also switched to another app Crackle on the same TV and had a similar problem so it does not appear to be isolated with the NetFlix app......................

Message 7 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As what @William10a had mentioned, it could be a router limitation.

Perhaps, LAN connection is the best route for your situation.

Message 8 of 11
-DC-
Aspirant

As I mentioned in a previous post the tv does not have a hardware connection.

I did decide to invest the money towards a new router rather than pay netgear for a support case. I do think if a device is under warranty I shouldn't have to pay for support but that's ok. I bought a nighthawk x6 router that has appeared to fix my issue. (As suggested by previous posters) of the problem comes back I will open a support case, hopefully it happens within 90 days 😝😝😝

Guess it was just that time!
Message 9 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's great!

You are always welcome here to ask questions in the community. 🙂

Enjoy!

Message 10 of 11
William10a
Master

the wndr3700v4 still has a future uses in the correct role it could be used as a access point in a remote location or locations where the new may not reach by wifi so it still has life.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7