× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700v4 router spontaniously reboots/resets

Octothorpe
Aspirant

WNDR3700v4 router spontaniously reboots/resets

The subject line says it all.

First noticed it about last week while we were watching a Netflix movie which was streaming from our provider to our Tivo box.  Tivo complained about loss of network and I looked in the office to see my router going through a reset cycle and it came back normally.  No other activity on computers, smart phones, or tablets at the time of reset.

Just happened again in the middle of downloading several video files to a network  storage device.  Besides that network intensive activity, two other computers were also active doing normal network/internet activities.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: WNDR3700v4 router spontaniously reboots/resets

I responed to a similar post yesterday, on the same issue.

Things to consider: t could be firmware, you could try and reset to factory. It may be caused by heat, if the ambient temperature is high, or, if it is not in a well ventilated area. It could be your power supply starting to fail, based on load. Are you able to plug it into another outlet, to see if it the problem persists?

If it's your power supply, you can use a generic power supply, based on the power requirements identified, on your original router power supply.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
netwrks
Master

I responed to a similar post yesterday, on the same issue.

Things to consider: t could be firmware, you could try and reset to factory. It may be caused by heat, if the ambient temperature is high, or, if it is not in a well ventilated area. It could be your power supply starting to fail, based on load. Are you able to plug it into another outlet, to see if it the problem persists?

If it's your power supply, you can use a generic power supply, based on the power requirements identified, on your original router power supply.

Message 2 of 5
Octothorpe
Aspirant

Thanks for the tips.  Here is what I have done so far.

Downloaded and installed the latest firmware which I had been neglecting to do.  BTW, I really like the new user interface.

Moved the router from a shelf (which the router was sharing with 4 other electronic devices) to the top of a cabinet where there is plenty of ventilation.

If I don't get another reset/reboot in the next two weeks, I will consider this to be the solution.  I will set myself a nagging reminder to come back a let you know.  If I still get reboots I will try to change out the power supply.

Message 3 of 5
Octothorpe
Aspirant

UPDATE!

It has been two weeks since I relocated the router away from other electronic heat generators and updated the firmware.

There have been no anomalous reboots that I am aware of, so I will judge these actions as the solution to my problem. 

Thanks again for the tip.

Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Octothorpe Glad to hear it's up and running!

Have a great day!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7