Re: WNDR3700v4 unable to turn on QOS

UnknownSith
Apprentice

WNDR3700v4 unable to turn on QOS

Hi, I've recently wanted to start using the QOS feature on my router, but there is no way of turning it on. I have selected the rules I want and it allows me to select my upload speed, but nothing to activate the rules. Am I missing a step or has something gone wrong. I'm on the newest firmware downloaded from netgear.

Message 1 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

Ive taken a look at the online manual and and it shows a box to tick to turn QOS on. Im guessing an update at some point has changed this, the page on mine now looks like an image from one of the more recent routers. There is only a box to tick for upload (gaming). I can set QOS rules but there is no way of turning them on.

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 2 of 26
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Try using a different browser.
Message 3 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

I have now tried 3 different web browsers and still get the same result. I can set the priority rules and turn on the upstream QOS (optimised for gaming) by doing the speed test and ticking the box. There is still no box to tick for the main QOS priority rules. I'm on the most up to date firmware from netgear and I have done a full master reset. If I go back to the original firmware everything is available as per the manual but once I go back to the last firmware or the most up to date I have this issue.
Message 4 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

ive been looking at the WNDR3700v5 manual, and my QOS screen is the same but without the turn QOS on section and all the priority stuff below.
Message 5 of 26
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Can you provide screenshots?
Message 6 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

Message 7 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

As you can see from my he screen shot there is no QOS box to tick or anyway of turning it on. I've tried different browsers, factory resets and still the same result. Is there anything else to try?
Message 8 of 26
Fairytail
Virtuoso

When I checked the screenshot, you were using a mobile phone. Can you try to access the UI of the router using a computer?
Message 9 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

It looks just the same on my laptop, iPad Air and iPhone 6, I can take a picture of the screen on my laptop but it looks the same. I've tried 3 different browsers, re-installed firmware, full factory reset, re-installed release firmware and installed newest firmware direct from netgear site.

The tick box option disappears in firmware 1.0.2.78 and 1.0.2.80, if I re-install firmware 1.0.1.52 or before the full QOS screen appears as it should!
Message 10 of 26
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Create ticket for support team.

Message 11 of 26
bigtee49
Aspirant

minions08,

did you get this problem resolved?  I have the same issue.

bigtee49

Message 12 of 26
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to inquire about this feature and will give you guys an update the soonest.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 26
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi All,

Just to give everyone an update, we are unable to replicate the reported problem. As a suggestion, try a different browser and also clearing the temporary internet files.

Let us know if this help you guys out.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 26
bigtee49
Aspirant

Thanks for trying...

Am running router software v 1.0.2.78

The QOS screen has 2 check boxes for Enable WMM both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz, and one for Enable Upstreme QoS.

There is no box for "Turn Internet Access Qos On" as shown in the manual.

I cleared all temp internet files from Firefox 39.0, Internet Explorer 11, and Chrome.. Then tried to set a QoS rule.

None of these tries worked.  As soon as "Apply" is pressed, the screen goes back to the QoS screen with only the two WMM boxes checked...

Perhaps you could provide a step by step procedure to do this.. Maybe I'm missing something..

bigtee49

Message 15 of 26
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's pretty strange. Have you tried reloading the firmware on the router? Once you have loaded the firmware I suggest you do the magical 30-30-30 reset. By the way, use a hardwired computer in doing the fw upgrade.

30-30-30 Hard Reset

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.

2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.

3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 16 of 26
bigtee49
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

over the weekend I tried your suggestions.. reloaded firmware... no change

did the 30-30-30 Hard Reset... no change...

I'm stumped.. any other ideas?

By the way, doing the 30-30-30 did not reset the router to factory defaults.  everything was as it was prior to doing the process. WIFI names, passwords, even router login passwords were not reset...

bigtee

Message 17 of 26
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @bigtee49,

When resetting the router the power led will turn into a blinking amber light. If not, I suggest that you use the tip of paper clip to reset it. If everything else fail, I would suggest a replacement.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 18 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

This problem is still ongoing, I have tried everything as instructed on here! I'm now on the latest firmware and the check box to turn the QOS on is still not available. Something in a previous update has caused this! Is it ever going to be fixed? I have shown images of the issue and now another person has come across the issue! Please respond with some form of fix.
Message 19 of 26
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Based from all the descriptions mentioned and upon verification, there have been some wording changes on the QoS feature starting with fw version 1.0.2.78.

Enable Upstream QoS is the same as Turn Internet Access On. The Manual will soon also be updated due to this changes.

Let us know if the function is not working correctly or if there are any further inquiries.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 20 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

Please can you post a picture with QOS rules set up. That is the problem I'm having with the router I can turn upstream on but there is no sign that the rules are in place.
Message 21 of 26
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is the new QoS window.

According to our engineering department, they just changed the wordings from "Turn Internet QoS On" to "Enable Upstream QoS".

enableqos.png

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 22 of 26
UnknownSith
Apprentice

i have subsequently sold this router as no resolution was given in time for me to use the router as originally intended. It was given as part of a package with my isp. I have now purchased an R7000 in the hope that the QOS will be set out in a more user friendly manner, unfortunately a beta firmware for said router has changed the QOS system and it looks like I'm now having a poor experience as far as QOS goes on that router also. I'm unsure as to why these firmware updates change the way the router can be used, updates are good but not when they remove features or ease of use. Unfortunately I cannot accept as solution as i no longer own the wndr3700v4.

Message 23 of 26
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Feel free to contact us anytime should you need further assistance.

Thank you!

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 24 of 26
bigtee49
Aspirant

Elaine,

I think I figured this out.. please confirm if my understanding is correct.

The main screen where you check the QOS box never shows any of your rules.

On the screen where you add/edit rules, ALL of the rules on that screen are used.

Which means all the rules that are shipped with the router, plus any you add, are used.

To eliminate the ones you don't want, you must delete those, or set them to lowest priority.

Is that correct?

bigte49

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements