× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR3700v4 v1.0.2.78 Firmware V1.0.2.78

bkwilliams10
Aspirant

WNDR3700v4 v1.0.2.78 Firmware V1.0.2.78

After upgrading my WNDR3700v4 to firmware version V1.0.2.78, I find that I am no longer able to use it as a wireless repeater base station. I had been using it in this fashion previously, but the option no longer appears under Advanced Setup.

Was this removed, or was it moved to a different area? Please help. I'm in an old house, and the lathe and plater plays havoc with getting a good wireless signal to reach very far.

Thanks for any help,

Brian Williams

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

If you look at the Release Notes you will see that support for WDS (aka repeater) was removed.  The repeater functionality in their routers has always lacked WPA/WPA2 security. Rather than add support for this, Netgear has taken to removing repeater functionality altogether. I guess they really want people to buy wireless extenders.

You can always downgrade the firmware, but you might want to think about getting an extender. With no wireless security in place, anyone can snoop your wireless traffic.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

If you look at the Release Notes you will see that support for WDS (aka repeater) was removed.  The repeater functionality in their routers has always lacked WPA/WPA2 security. Rather than add support for this, Netgear has taken to removing repeater functionality altogether. I guess they really want people to buy wireless extenders.

You can always downgrade the firmware, but you might want to think about getting an extender. With no wireless security in place, anyone can snoop your wireless traffic.

Message 2 of 3
bkwilliams10
Aspirant

Thank you. I did not understand when reading the release notes that WDS was the repeater functionality. Thank you.

Brian Williams

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7