WNDR3800 setting wireless mode?

jtimmyf
Aspirant

WNDR3800 setting wireless mode?

Is there a way to set the wireless mode on the WNDR3800? What I mean is to fore the router to allow only say 802.11G or 802.11N wireless connections? Most routers have this capability. I don't want to allow wireless devices to connect at say 802.11g on the 2.4Ghz frequency.
Message 1 of 8
Cybercare
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3800 setting wireless mode?

You can only lock it to G, not N.

I could be wrong but if I recall correct that is because N has to support G as that is the mode you transition to in the event of weak signal so N must support it as is a spec requirement. Most routers that allowed locking out something allowed you to pick B or G/N I think, but not exclude G and keep N.

That being said G clients on an N network won't really slow down your network, its B clients that hurt networks the most and these days not to much of them left Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
jtimmyf
Aspirant

I agree. I want to lock to G mode. How/Where do I set that? I don't see where to set the mode with the WNDR3800 software?
Message 3 of 8
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

The type of mode you want sounds like Greenfield Mode, where only High Throughput transactions occur on your network. Unfortunately if you were able to force a router into that mode, in the presence of other non-HT networks and nodes, then those networks would be unaware of yours and would happily transmit, causing wireless collisions/re-transmissions for both networks.
Message 4 of 8
StratmanX
Tutor

jtimmyf wrote:
I agree. I want to lock to G mode. How/Where do I set that? I don't see where to set the mode with the WNDR3800 software?

You can exclude N but not B and G by selecting "Mode: Up To 54 Mbps". Selecting a Mode any higher than that will include N. I do not think you can select just G.

From the Manual:
Mode. Up to 130 Mbps is the default and allows 802.11n and 802.11g wireless devices to join the network. g & b supports up to 54 Mbps. The 300 Mbps setting allows 802.11n devices to connect at this speed.

One way to find and change the Mode setting is selecting Wireless on the Basic screen when you use the browser to login to the router.
Message 5 of 8
StratmanX
Tutor

Mars Mug wrote:
The type of mode you want sounds like Greenfield Mode, where only High Throughput transactions occur on your network. Unfortunately if you were able to force a router into that mode, in the presence of other non-HT networks and nodes, then those networks would be unaware of yours and would happily transmit, causing wireless collisions/re-transmissions for both networks.

If a client is wireless B,G compatible, and the access point is B,G compatible, but there are no pure B clients operating on the network, will the client/AP ever utilize B? Or will the network preferentially and always use G in this scenario?
Message 6 of 8
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I would expect the clients to operate at ‘G’ rates in that case.
Message 7 of 8
StratmanX
Tutor

Mars Mug wrote:
I would expect the clients to operate at ‘G’ rates in that case.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E