Highlighted
Follower

WNDR4000 Using Same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Are there any down sides to using the same SSID, Encryption Level, and Password for both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless connections?

Thanks,

-t
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR4000 Using Same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Only if the client device firmware/software is badly written (which some are) otherwise the device should be able to connect to either band without any problems.
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Apologies for necroposting - I have tried searching, but nothing seems to have come up - has this functionality been disabled in the latest (or later) firmware? Unfortunately I am unable to set the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 bands, with the current firmware insisting on choosing a different SSID for each band. Is there a workaround? Am I missing something?
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

Sounds right. You connect to your wireless via SSID name, not by frequency. This is why they are different, so you know you are connecting to the 2.4 or the 5 GHz bands.
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

So bascially the answer to my question is that it used to be possible, but it no longer is? Any idea why it was removed? I don't care much for knowing which band I'm connecting to, I'd much rather prefer my clients transparently roamed between bands and access points throughout my house.
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

it will probably not transparently change unless at short distance where 2.4ghz band hits very low signal at where 5Ghz max. range.

remember 2.4Ghz will always has more range than 5Ghz as part of nature of frequency
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, I know that. Nevertheless, I'd still prefer to have the same SSID for both bands on my router and access points - from your responses, I gather that is not possible with the current firmware, correct? Thanks for all your replies thus far Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

it's not matter of firmware, you should/ can set and save but it will not roam between two band effectively. roaming are meant use in SAME band with multiple AP's and been both band are different range to begin with. I don't really see the usage of it.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
it's not matter of firmware, you should/ can set and save but it will not roam between two band effectively. roaming are meant use in SAME band with multiple AP's and been both band are different range to begin with. I don't really see the usage of it.

Ok, so it looks like there's a bug in the current firmware, because it won't let me use the same SSID for both bands. I see a similar issue being reported in the WNDR4500 forum as well. Thanks for your help Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

Just out of curiosity, is there a 'way around this'? For example, will it let you set a 'guest' 5ghz with the same SSID as the 'main' 2.4ghz (and vice versa if required).

Its a but 'klutsy' , but it might get around any validation checks within a single page.
Message 10 of 12
Highlighted

I'd like to know too - as I want to have the same SSID for extended 5g and 2g bands.
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

If you had the same SSIDs how do you know which band you are connected too? You don't, that's why the SSIDs need to be different.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements