Re: WNDR4000 new firmware just released! 1.0.0.66

Retired_Member
Not applicable

By the time you figure out something is wrong the router is back on line. It takes less than a minute.
Message 26 of 56
VehementSack
Aspirant

I eventually did contact support for an RMA. They said they tracked it down to a hardware issue. I have my new one up and running and it seems to be working fine. I even did the firmware upgrade to .66. No complaints do far.

-Steve
Message 27 of 56
drmark12pa
Aspirant

Re: WNDR4000 new (junk) firmware just released! 1.0.0.66

The new firmware is junk.... did the upgrade as it was supposed to be done and nothing but increased problems with random disconnects even in the middle of the night according to the router log.
I reverted to the original firmware and no issues.... I'm not even sure that there was any reason to upgrade the firmware as it looked like there was only 1 fix performed according to the spec sheet, the other problems are known issues that continue to be issues it would appear.
Message 28 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a open case for this. I would bet they pull the .66 firmware in the near future.
Message 29 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I got a call from Netgear yesterday asking me to try .66 again and send them config and copy of logs. Within 4 hours of going to .66 SOS the router reboots for no reason. Back on .60 again.
Message 30 of 56
bubbstubbs
Novice

Here is my theory:
MaximumPC magazine just released a review of the WNDR4000 with their new issue. Lets just say it wasnt too good...

They made a point of saying they reviewed 1.0.0.64 and hoped a firmware upgrade would improve the perfromance compared to a new Cisco product and WNDR3700...

In response to the above: I bet this firmware upgrade (1.0.0.64) went out the door ahead of schedule!
Message 31 of 56
Paul1973
Aspirant

Firmware still running great here. best part is the wan throughput increase over wired connections.
Message 32 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I owned two WNDR3700's from my experiance The WNDR4000 with firmware .60 is a winner. As for Max PC magazine reviewing a WNDR4000 with 1.0.0.64 firmware, unless you typed in the wrong number I find it somewhat questionable to believe anything they say regarding a WNDR4000 seeing how .64 does not exists according to the netgear website for said model. As for the wan side thru put increase over wired connections increasing with .66 I also find that somewhat questionable too. Wired is 1gb and to date I do not know of any consumer ISP delivering anything close to that. Port 1 thru 4 to wan is limited by ISP connection is it not? Not trying to start an argument just trying understand how .66 could improve thru put to / from wan to wired. I haven't seen any speed change between .60 and .66
Message 33 of 56
xBuTcHeRx
Novice

searay wrote:
I owned two WNDR3700's from my experiance The WNDR4000 with firmware .60 is a winner. As for Max PC magazine reviewing a WNDR4000 with 1.0.0.64 firmware, unless you typed in the wrong number I find it somewhat questionable to believe anything they say regarding a WNDR4000 seeing how .64 does not exists according to the netgear website for said model.

As for the wan side thru put increase over wired connections increasing with .66 I also find that somewhat questionable too. Wired is 1gb and to date I do not know of any consumer ISP delivering anything close to that. Port 1 thru 4 to wan is limited by ISP connection is it not? Not trying to start an argument just trying understand how .66 could improve thru put to / from wan to wired.

I haven't seen any speed change between .60 and .66

Regarding speed change, I use a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, I'm promised 10mbps dwn, 1mbps up I get, about 25-30mbps dwn, and 1mbps up still. Their is increase for me. more than what my ISP would provide.
Message 34 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Any router, can only hinder what the ISP provides, Its impossiblehe for a router to increase speed over what the ISP is providing. Your ISP may have changed the cap for some reason and now you are seeing faster speeds. Comcast just raised me from 31 to 36mbps no extra charge I just happened to reboot my Docsis 3 modem and several things change, 2 upstreams are available now and the yellow US light went green along with the faster speeds.
Message 35 of 56

jgstew wrote:
I am also having issues since doing the Router upgrade. I'm getting wireless drop outs on 2.4 ghz. Going to try to re-flash.

my intel client is working fine with mine 4000. wut is the model name of your wireless client?
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Message 36 of 56
atskat
Aspirant

Hello,

(My first post here...just registered since I got a new WNDR4000)

Well, after upgrading the firmware to this newest 1.0.0.66, both Wireless and Wired connection kept getting disconnected all the time. Sometimes, even after multiple resets, restarts, reset to factory restarts, etc, not even a wired connection would come up.

Then, after reading some DHCP related messages here, I just assigned fixed IP's to wired and wirelss clients via the Router's LAN DHCP assignment page. That seemed to have worked for a day or two, now, and connections haven't dropped, throughput is good and solid all around. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Somehow, am left with a really bad taste with this firmware Update. Netgear's got to figure it out soon for a stable frimware for this, one of their newer Routers.

Thanks.
Message 37 of 56
xBuTcHeRx
Novice

I caved and upgraded to .66 everything has been working well for me, just did a few more tweaks after doing reset and unplugging everything, my wireless did the whole disconnect connect thing on my iPhone, strangely it went away wen i restarted my system and never happened again, this was a big move for something I recently bought, but nothing wrong has happened so far to my router, I guess I'm a lucky who got it to work just fine Smiley Happy
Message 38 of 56
PD64
Aspirant

xBuTcHeRx wrote:
I caved and upgraded to .66 everything has been working well for me, just did a few more tweaks after doing reset and unplugging everything, my wireless did the whole disconnect connect thing on my iPhone, strangely it went away wen i restarted my system and never happened again, this was a big move for something I recently bought, but nothing wrong has happened so far to my router, I guess I'm a lucky who got it to work just fine Smiley Happy

It's not about being lucky, since the firmware code is the same for everybody. It simply depends on how you are using it. If you are hitting the router with many UPnP devices it might drop connection eventually, I think that's what has been causing some troubles for me. Also, if you use guest networks I'm sure those will drop for you as well because they have been dropping for everybody (firmware bug).
Message 39 of 56
CheDigital
Aspirant

Echoing searay's experiences of network instability using .66 - the router would repeatedly reboot itself at seemingly random times, multiple times per day. It's usually down for less than a minute before everything reconnects, but it does cause all Internet activities to get interrupted. Same re-initialization message in the router log. When connected, everything appears to work fine.

I have rolled the router back to .60 (it came with .66 installed by default), and the network seems to be stable now, except for the 12-hour DHCP renew issue described in another thread (annoying but much less disruptive). I'll keep waiting until a new revision comes out before I update again. .66 seems to be junk for me.
Message 40 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've been testing a pre-beta if their is such a term for 3 weeks now. The rebooting is fixed and the guest problem is being looked at.
Message 41 of 56
cc999
Aspirant

What version is it?

Charlie
Message 42 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Me giving you the version would only cause confusion when you called Netgear Support asking for it even if they had it. I have tested no less than 5 versions in the past month on their supplied equipment. Today I starting testing DHCPNACK problem which got quite a lot of forum time. Please be patient.
Message 43 of 56
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

Just acquired the WNDR4000 (to replace a WND3700) yesterday, and I am generally please with it except for the two problems below.

(I did not even attempt to upgrade to .66 in view of all the problems noted in this thread.)

With 0.60, I note the following:

1. It seems that the 2.4 guest network (I don't turn on guest for 5 GHz) does not start unless you click "Apply" on the guest network page.

2. ReadyDLNA - Not all the VIDEO files appear on my PS3 (only about 60%). I have a 1.5 TB Western Digital Essentials formatted NTFS. MUSIC and PICTURES files appear OK.

Other than these, I have not experienced/noticed any major problems since startup yesterday.
Message 44 of 56
gravelocity
Aspirant

I too have been having a ridiculous number of problems since upgrading to 1.0.0.66. The router is constantly rebooting and losing the internet connection. Unbelievable.
Message 45 of 56
gravelocity
Aspirant

Whew, downgraded to 1.0.0.60 and no reboots or dropped connections so far! What a relief.
Message 46 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

In six days it will be 3 months since .66 was released. The random rebooting was first reported on this forum June 5th. The bug was confirmed July 1st yet .66 was never removed from thier site.:confused:
Message 47 of 56
ronson
Novice

The last days after 4 Months using the WNDR4000 with the current firmware I recognized the first WiFi and WAN Drops . Man why does such a Router need to have such Issues?!
Message 48 of 56
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you are using .66 roll back to .60 to be sure it is not a hardware issuse. Check your logs to see if it rebooted.
Message 49 of 56
Platypus1981
Aspirant

I installed it flawlessly on a fresh out of the box router and it worked for about five minutes before the router locked up while I was in the configuration process. Now I can't access it or perform any kind of function including a hard reset so I will attempt a firmware recovery to see if I can get it working before I take it back to Best Buy. If I do get another WNDR4000, I will not be upgrading the firmware.
Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E