Re: WNDR4000 radio stops working

sean_e
Novice

WNDR4000 radio stops working

I got an N750 WNDR4000 about a month ago. It has firmware 1.0.0.82. Between every 4-7 days the radio completely stops working. All wifi connections are simultaneously dropped (at least 4 devices are connected at any given time).

After this happens, the radio LED lights are still green - no indication of problems on the device itself. Instead of power cycling the router, I am able to restore service by toggling the radio off then back on (press the wifi button to disable the radio, wait a couple of seconds then press it again to turn the radio back on). Then all wifi clients are able to reconnect.

Is this a common problem?
Message 1 of 13
sean_e
Novice

So it's more like every 9 days. Radio is dead again. All wireless devices just lost connectivity. Moved my laptop over to the router and hooked up the wired connection. The internet connection is unaffected (wrote this post while connected by wire).
Message 2 of 13
sean_e
Novice

This time it didn't last a week - dead again and required cycling of the radio switch.
Message 3 of 13
peter11
Novice

Hi Sean, I see no one has replied!
I have the same (or similar) problem. My router drops out frequently and it was only when I saw your post that I realised it may be the radio. The further away, or when streaming video, the more frustrating the problem.

Hopefully someone comes up with a solution.
Message 4 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

check for any channel interference issues if you have growing numb of other SSID around you
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 13
peter11
Novice

Thanks for that suggestion... can you elaborate on how I might do that? I can see other wireless routers, but how can I check the channel they operate on and how should I respond to that info. I'm using a Mac with Snow Leopard.
Message 6 of 13
o_l_a_v
Aspirant

peter1 wrote:
Thanks for that suggestion... can you elaborate on how I might do that? I can see other wireless routers, but how can I check the channel they operate on and how should I respond to that info. I'm using a Mac with Snow Leopard.

Use this little program named inSSIDer:
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

🙂
Message 7 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

o_l_a_v wrote:
Use this little program named inSSIDer:
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

🙂

Does not support Mac
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

peter1 wrote:

Google "netstumbler"

This is native Mac app
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 13

I have a brand new WNR2000 with the same problem. It seems to be working great but about 2 to 4 times per day, the wireless signal just disappears and I have to hit the reset button for it to return. I set it up with the wizard and didn't set anything special except for the network name and password.

I downloaded the "inssider" program and can see all the other networks.

Does any one have any tips on specifically what to look for?

Since the problem only happens a couple of times a day, I imagine it could be hard to see since most of the time it may be normal.

Could it be something other than interference? When I hit the reset button, it solves the problem for many hours. Is this because it chooses a new channel?
Message 10 of 13
sean_e
Novice

use inssider to note what channel your radio is using. After you press reset, does it use a different channel?

I changed my wireless config to use a defined channel instead of auto. I picked a channel based on what I saw in inssider.
Message 11 of 13

New Information. I saw in another post that it could be a problem with the firmware and to revert it back to the previous version. I did that and I haven't had a single problem for more than 48 hours. This is compared to multiple problems every single day so it seems to me the firmware is very likely the problem.
Message 12 of 13
sean_e
Novice

what firmware did you have and what did you revert to?
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E