WNDR4000 voltage input is 12vdc, what is the full voltage range that it operates at?

Lelmus
Aspirant

WNDR4000 voltage input is 12vdc, what is the full voltage range that it operates at?

WNDR4000 voltage input is 12vdc, what is the full voltage range that it operates at? Does it need to be regulated to exactly 12vdc. Need to be directly compatible to varing automotive voltages.
Message 1 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR4000 voltage input is 12vdc, what is the full voltage range that it operates

regulated 12V. and most are 1.2 or 1.5A
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 20
Lelmus
Aspirant

Re: WNDR4000 voltage input is 12vdc, what is the full voltage range that it operates

Current is not important. There is always a switch chip that has a voltage range. What is that range?
Message 3 of 20
Jim_R
Aspirant

Current is absolutely important. The inability to supplly sufficient current will result in voltage drop, power supply overload and ultimately power supply failure. Regulation is also important. Don't even think about using an unregulated supply when a regulated, power switching supply was original equipment. Unregulated supplies invariabley output too much voltage so that current draw causes voltage to drop to acceptable levels for the equipment. Equipment with unregulated supplies always have regulation built in to the unit to control operating voltage(s)
Message 4 of 20
Lelmus
Aspirant

Let me rephrase. Current rating is not important to me because I have plenty of it. The digital logic chips inside WNDR4000 do not bias at 12v but at 3.3v or less. What I need to know is the internal regulation inside the WNDR4000's master switch chip, what is that internal regulators voltage range and maybe the voltage biasing RF voltages allowable to the antennas if not internally regulated? Since there are no relays then 12v is not necessary.
Message 5 of 20
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

You may be correct in suggesting that some variation in the DC supply voltage should be OK, but there have been many threads posted in the past where the DC regulated supply has been powered from a mains supply at less than the nominal voltage, causing the router to malfunction in some way or another. I can’t say that this applies to the WNDR4000, but can’t say that is doesn’t either. What DC voltage are you considering using? Is there a reason why you don’t want to use the Netgear power adaptor?
Message 6 of 20
Lelmus
Aspirant

I need to be directly compatible to varing automotive voltages, which during crank can dip to possibly worst case 6v and raise as high as around 15v. I know load dumping could be an issue, I'll suppress that later.

My application involves iPads and the WNDR4000, since this impressive and stand alone wifi router is offering an http web server to the directories and files within a USB HDD, it makes the car into a personal hotspot that can instantly stream gigs of divx movies using oplayer app and music without the need to download them to multiple iPads. This is an excellent application to break through Apples memory limits and take my whole collection on the road.
Message 7 of 20
Jim_R
Aspirant

Lelmus wrote:
I need to be directly compatible to varing automotive voltages, which during crank can dip to possibly worst case 6v and raise as high as around 15v. I know load dumping could be an issue, I'll suppress that later.

My application involves iPads and the WNDR4000, since this impressive and stand alone wifi router is offering an http web server to the directories and files within a USB HDD, it makes the car into a personal hotspot that can instantly stream gigs of divx movies using oplayer app and music without the need to download them to multiple iPads. This is an excellent application to break through Apples memory limits and take my whole collection on the road.

May I suggest using a battery isolator and an auxiliary battery. This is the concept used by recreational vehicles so that accessories in the RV do not drain the vehicle's battery that is used for cranking the motor. It allows current from the charging circuit to keep the aux battery topped up, but will not draw current from it. This allows the aux battery circuit to keep a steady voltage when the other circuit may be cranking the starter etc.

The isolator is essentially an array of high current diodes to which there is a voltage drop inherent. This voltage drop along with a simple Zener circuit could clamp the voltage to 12V protecting the router and any other 12V items on the secondary circuit.

The vehicle's alternator would have to be "heavy duty enough" to handle the extra load of the secondary circuit.

An alternative would be the "Inverter" to convert 12V DC into 120V AC for the router's power adapter to run off of. In either case, the vehicle's alternator and the inverter would have to be able to handle the loads accordingly.
Message 8 of 20
jgstew
Aspirant

The inverter option is probably the easiest & cheapest to setup, and helpful for many applications
Message 9 of 20
Lelmus
Aspirant

Direct to car's 12v
Cost: Free!!!

DC-AC inverter (non-true AC square wave crap)
Cost:*$15+S/H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107179&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle...

DC-DC buck-boost evaluation board
Cost: $70+S/H
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM5118.html#Boards
Message 10 of 20
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I would have thought that something like this would do the job, this is just an example of what I am thinking of since there are a great many of these things available each with different features and capabilities, and this one is a little expensive compared to others I have seen;

http://www.cameras4sports.co.uk/product.php?xProd=47&jssCart=5c778c4fb943dc3681a1dfe335b3b30c
Message 11 of 20
Lelmus
Aspirant

Those DC-DC converters are buck only and not buck-boost. In other words they clamp output at 12v when input is greater than 12v, but output will go below 12v if input drops lower.

No buck-boost converter will cost so little. Can anyone find one for cheap that has >=2A or >=24W?
Message 12 of 20
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I saw plenty that have a battery backup, but there’s little point me posting links for those since you can easily find them yourself relevant to your location. Do you intend to run from battery for extended periods?
Message 13 of 20
REWinfo
Aspirant

OK, now that we got all the electronic opinionators input.
How bout we get a simple answer for a simple question.
Follow these steps to answer the original question.

1. Remove AC adapter from wall.
2. Find LABEL on AC adapter.
3. On LABEL find input/ouput info (IE: input 120v / output 12v @ 5amps)
4. Post that info here.
5. Re-attach AC adapter to wall and router.

NOW, wasn't that easy?:confused:

So much YAK YAK for so little info needed, HA HA:p
Message 14 of 20
REWinfo
Aspirant

Well Well Well This info was SOOOOOO hard to find ( note post times)

Go to this Netgear link:

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR4000/Documentation/UM/WNDR4000-750_UM_18Mar11.pdf

Unit uses 12v 2.5amp power input

• North America: 120V, 60 Hz, input wall
• UK, Australia: 240V, 50 Hz, input wall
• Europe: 230V, 50 Hz, input wall
• All regions (output): 12V DC @ 2.5A, output to unit

Happy Networking
Message 15 of 20
Marto731
Aspirant

Lelmus,
You asked about 12V range. I would say +/- 1 Volt.

To answer your question in detail, would involve lab time, with a variable DC supply.
I agree with Jim R's previous post in feeding off a 12V auxilary battery.

I advise inserting a 2A fuse on the 12V circuit, should you wire up.

Again I would need lab time to measure current draw, but I guess it is about 500milli Amps.
Don't subject the WNR4000 to wild fluctuations between 6V and 15V,
as you would reduce the products lifetime.

Regards,
Marto,
Netgear Tech support
NETGEAR ReadyNAS Former Employee-- Tech Support & Documentation
Contact Information: http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx
Message 16 of 20
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

REWinfo, post #1;

Lelmus wrote:
Need to be directly compatible to varing automotive voltages.

None of the information you mention would tell you what the supply tolerance is, it does not tell you what would happen if powered from a 13V or 14V supply, or what transients it could withstand. Many automotive devices need extra protection that a typical router will not include.

See post #7

Lelmus wrote:

And posts #8 onwards then go on to discuss methods of protecting the router and providing a stable supply.
Message 17 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

there are some DC-DC power supply that properly setup the correct voltage

search mobile electronics items and you will eventually find good power sully to deal with
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 18 of 20
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

The thread’s a year old June, I’m not sure why REWinfo bothered to dig it up?
Message 19 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation