Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR4300 keep dropping Internet connection

I have read all of the replies to my issue and this only came up after a hard reset of my router after someone hacked into it, changed the admin password, and used it to download illegal content. At that time, I had the power light being green, internet light being green, and the 2.4Ghz wireless light being green while the 5 Ghz light is blue because it''s not on. After the hard reset, the internet light is yellow, but I still have a connection that until recently was solid. I can't find any place to not only restore the green light, but to restore the wifi connected printer that now doesn't show itself. The modem is a Time Warner Arris. Thanks.

Message 26 of 43
Highlighted
Master

@DamanGoldberg wrote:

I have read all of the replies to my issue and this only came up after a hard reset of my router after someone hacked into it, changed the admin password, and used it to download illegal content. At that time, I had the power light being green, internet light being green, and the 2.4Ghz wireless light being green while the 5 Ghz light is blue because it''s not on. After the hard reset, the internet light is yellow, but I still have a connection that until recently was solid. I can't find any place to not only restore the green light, but to restore the wifi connected printer that now doesn't show itself. The modem is a Time Warner Arris. Thanks.

Did you actually connect to the router and set it up, or have you left it at default settings again?..

Message 27 of 43
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello, I connected to the router and changed the default password to one I can remember but is not the standard. I have internet acccess that seems to work, save a couple of what turned out to be hiccups this early AM (Saturday 14 Nov). However, this time, the light is yellow @ the internet dial when it's been green in the past iterations of this router. BTW, running firmware 1.0.2.80.

My 5 year old Canon wireless all-in-one cannot connect to the network as my LCD screen is fubar, thus I can't change or see configurations that would be clear otherwise. The cost to repair would be more than I paid for it ($50) and a direct replacement is bet. $80 and 100. Technology is wonderful until it doesn't work and printer companies don't provide hardware resets like router companies do.

Message 28 of 43
Highlighted
Master

When you connected to the router after the factory reset was there not a Setup Wizard running?

Did you change the default WIFI SSID's (something other than Netgear. and the default WIFI passphrase for the router? If not, that is how your router is being hacked. It's very easy to hack if you leave the WIFI passphrase to default. 

Message 29 of 43
Highlighted
Aspirant

I changed the WiFi passphrase from default this most recent hard reset. It didn't occur to me not to do this until it was too late. That is totally on me and I should have known better. I guess I will live with the yellow light as long as I have the current TWC modem, which I forgot to mention was also changed around the same time from a Ubee modem that didn't have telephony whereas this one does. It could be how the Arris modem contacts the router through the ethernet cable in a manner different than the Ubee. May be barking up the wrong tree, but coincidence? Who knows?

Message 30 of 43
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have a  WNDR4300v2 that started doing this to me about a week ago, after getting frustrated with it I decided to post here that I am also having the same issue. It is only two months old. 

sigh, I upgraded to this one because an older, smaller model started doing the same thing. Perhaps it is time to switch from NetGear to another brand...

Message 31 of 43
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you guys try loading the latest firmware and then did a factory reset?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 32 of 43
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, I did that and that didn't work. I did manage to get my printer to work locally by USB cable and clearing the old drivers from Win 10 that were mated to the WiFi network connection. I am stil mad @ Time Warner Cable for accusing me of allowing someone how hacked my router and downloaded "The Interview", thus I had to do a factory/hard reset on the router, knocking out the printer.

Message 33 of 43
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Right now, are you having intermittent connection with the router?

If yes, is this on wired or wireless?

Regarding the printer, how is the printer connected in the network?

Is this connected to the router or to a computer?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 34 of 43
Highlighted
Aspirant

Elaine,

Right now, my connection to the internet is Tethered MetroPCS (now) and MetroPCS hadnset. There is no Time Warner broadband to connect to, the story behind that will bore you. As for the printer, the WiFi light still is on, but it's a local printer to my main computer. Since I am the only one who uses it, it's not shared, but would be in Windows. The main problem is the LCD screen of the printer device is balky, and there is no way to access it otherwise. That is not a fault of the router.

For the brief period between the hard router reset and TWC coming to take their modem away, there was few problems connecting to the Internet. The Arris cable modem was wired to the router WAN port, all of the clients (3 computers, 2 mobile phones) accessed the router. Thanks for inquiring.

Message 35 of 43
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the information.

Are you still having problems using the NETGEAR router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 36 of 43
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can't know because I have no constant connection to test with. $$ keeping me away from Time Warner Cable. Thanks for the inquiry.
Message 37 of 43
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the clarification @DamanGoldberg

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 38 of 43
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: WNDR4300 keeps dropping Internet connection

my netgear Wndr 4300 also drops the internet connection daily.  my service provider let me borrow a non-netgear router that

seems to be working - no drops in over 3 days.

problem is that i bought the unit 14 months ago so is out of warranty and netgear wants $$$ to even talk to a tech - even though

NETGEAR PRODUCTS SHOULD LAST OVER A YEAR and, guess what, a lot of us NON-TECHIES NEED MORE THAN 90 days

support!!!!   These are expensive devices - COMPANIES like NETGEAR SHOULD PROVIDE MUCH LONGER SUPPORT AND WARRANTIES FOR THE PRODUCTS.

Unfortunately, I had purchased another Netgear router for my new residence just before this one started losing its connection.

hopefully will last over a year.  regardless, i will be looking for a company that gives longer tech support and product life.

Like many - I am a non-techie  - the lack of clear instructions and explanations is just wrong.  There is a big market for

better service..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 39 of 43
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having this same problem.  I have had the product for a couple of years, but I only began to notice this problem after I purchased a smart TV that relies upon the wifi internet connection being reliable... and on this product, it is not.  It's long since out of warranty.  I have made sure that I have the most recent firmware update installed.  

I'm disappointed because I always liked Netgear products but with this latest problem I may have to rethink that.  <sigh>

Message 40 of 43
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Are there any other devices having the same problem aside from the Smart TV?

Possible reason would be the distance and some devices that is interfering with the wireless signal?

Which wireless signal you're connecting to (2.4GHz or 5GHz)? Did you try the other signal?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 41 of 43
Highlighted

Hi,

I have the latest firmware V1.0.2.80 on my netgear WNDR4300. My wifi (2.4) drops atleast 3 times and have to restart router to get back the wifi. This happened since I bought this router on amazon. I used (5.0) wifi and it worked fine. BUt now I have devices that need 2.4 and I switched to 2.4 completely. It is frustrating I have to restart the router > 3 times a day to get it it work.

Is this a bad device I got or is there any change I can do to make this issue go away?

Thanks.

Message 42 of 43
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@arizaonresident Before concluding that it's a faulty router, check for interference.

See the article below on how to improve your wireless connection.

Troubleshooting intermittent wireless

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements