× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4300v2 Parental control stopped working

_AW
Aspirant
Aspirant

WNDR4300v2 Parental control stopped working

I have a very similar problem to this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/wndr4300v2-parental-control-not-working/m-...

I was on FW:1.0.0.56.

I had parental controls enabled on my router, with settings on netgear.opendns.com

It worked fine.

I tried to change the access level of a particular device using the Network Map in Genie on my Android phone. (My apps are autoupdated, so I am on the latest app version).  My router seemed to go haywire for a little bit.  I don't remember clearly what all happened.  This is the first time I noticed that Netgear has been making changes to parental controls.  It seems that they are trying to move more of it into the app.

Well, after that point, once I got my router working again, which took a reboot, parental controls have never been the same.  If I switch on the controls, it completely stops all web trafic from everything connected.  I have tried all kinds of things by now with still no success.

I have upgraded my router to FW:1.0.0.58, did a router reset to default settings, I signed out and back into my OpenDNS account on Genie.

At this point, still, if I enable parental controls in the app NO web pages load.  My filter level is custom with 19 filters choosen.  Also, often if I try to change filter level in the app I get "Action failed try again later".  It has worked at one point, but right now it will not let me change my default filtering level.

When I reset to factory defaults, I then restored settings using a back up file.  Is it possible that could restore whatever is causing the problem?

This is really annoying as I have spent several hours on it, read several posts, but have not found a solution. 

Model: WNDR4300v2|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
_AW
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: WNDR4300v2 Parental control stopped working

I was able to work around the problem by using the Windows version of the Genie App.  From that app I was able to setup parental controls again.  I still cannot use the parental controls in the Android Genie App and Netgear is testing to see if they can duplicate the problem at this point.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
_AW
Aspirant
Aspirant

I reset my Genie App on my phone.  Now I cannot even log in to the opendns account in the Genie App.  I tried many times, I verified my password by logining on to netgear.opendns.com.  I give up for now. Smiley Mad

Message 2 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @_AW,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 5
_AW
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to work around the problem by using the Windows version of the Genie App.  From that app I was able to setup parental controls again.  I still cannot use the parental controls in the Android Genie App and Netgear is testing to see if they can duplicate the problem at this point.

Message 4 of 5
_AW
Aspirant
Aspirant

I needed to come back and say that my problem did not go away for more than a day.  The problem was never solved even though tech support got involved.  I spent many hours trying the same things over and over.  Reseting to factory defaults.  Uninstalling the app.  Re-uploading the same firmware.

Bottom line, it is a broken system that they could not help me get working.  They are pushing for parental controls to go to a monetizing system.  I wish they would have just left things as they were working.  It will be a very long time until I try a Netgear product again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7