× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR4300v2 and Chromecast

srsbsns
Aspirant

WNDR4300v2 and Chromecast

Anyone else having issues with Chomecast and the v2 version of this router? All Chromecast compatible apps are missing the cast button until I reboot the Chromecast. It stays functional for about 5 minutes. It's still pingable and the Chromcast app says "ready to cast".

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
srsbsns
Aspirant

@minions08 wrote:
Chromecast are the one releasing list of devices which are compatible with their device. So far it is still not compatible with WNDR4300v2.

This information is incorrect. Not to be that guy if you are going to give users misleading information on the forums please attempt to back it up. 

Now onto the problem. I did a Wireshark trace and I noticed the router is not transmitting the multicast packets sent by the chromecast. This problem is entirely on Netgear and so far they have neglected this router. Its been out for almost a year and is still on its inital firmware release that contains vulnerabilites. To top that off my Nest doesnt work correctly with this router as well. the heartbeats are not making it to Nest servers and its contantly offline but is pingable from inside the network. Netgear is just passing the buck onto Nest.

I have been able to fix the Chromecast issue by tinkering on my own.apply the following setting.  FIX: Uncheck "disable IGMP Proxy".

Netgear support was never able to fix this and the supposed engineers offered zero solutions. I dont think I'll ever buy another Netgear product again based off what I experienced with this company. The hours of phone calls and promises to contact me that were never met... I do hope the fix that I found works for the unfortunate people like myself who purchased this router.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 23

All Replies
srsbsns
Aspirant

Seems disable/re-enable UPnP causes the Chromecast icons to return for a few minutes. Looks like I found part of the problem.
Message 2 of 23
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Does your chromecast works on a different router? Check the KB article below for compatible routers.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24510
Message 3 of 23
srsbsns
Aspirant

Indeed it does work fine on my old WNDR4000 which is not on the compatible list. The list link you provided has not been updated in a year and matches the current listings from Google.
Message 4 of 23
srsbsns
Aspirant

Anyone else out there using a WNDR4300v2 and Chromecast or am I the only one?
Message 5 of 23
Fairytail
Virtuoso

The link was update last April 20.
Message 6 of 23
samsonite
Aspirant

srsbsns wrote:
Anyone else out there using a WNDR4300v2 and Chromecast or am I the only one?

Sorry, what is "WNDR4300v2" compared to "WNDR4300", in terms of specific differences ? How do I know if I have WNDR4300v2?

Chromecast works fine here.
Message 7 of 23
srsbsns
Aspirant

Update: After working with Netgear level 2 support it has been confirmed the WNDR4300v2 is incompatible with Chromecast.

No further solutions or firmware updates have been suggested.
Message 8 of 23
samsonite
Aspirant

srsbsns, Is this is a firmware problem or hardware problem? Chromecast works fine with WNDR4300v1. It's hard to believe it doesn't work with WNDR4300v2 out of the box.
Message 9 of 23
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I will check with Netgear engineers to see if this information is correct.
Message 10 of 23
pretrialmmo
Aspirant

Did anyone figure out it WNDR4300v2 was compatible with Chromecast?
Message 11 of 23
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Chromecast are the one releasing list of devices which are compatible with their device. So far it is still not compatible with WNDR4300v2.
Message 12 of 23
GeorgeBitt
Aspirant

I'm using the same router and having the same problems. Hopefully Netgear can step up on this.

Message 13 of 23
srsbsns
Aspirant

@minions08 wrote:

This information is incorrect. Not to be that guy if you are going to give users misleading information on the forums please attempt to back it up. 

Now onto the problem. I did a Wireshark trace and I noticed the router is not transmitting the multicast packets sent by the chromecast. This problem is entirely on Netgear and so far they have neglected this router. Its been out for almost a year and is still on its inital firmware release that contains vulnerabilites. To top that off my Nest doesnt work correctly with this router as well. the heartbeats are not making it to Nest servers and its contantly offline but is pingable from inside the network. Netgear is just passing the buck onto Nest.

I have been able to fix the Chromecast issue by tinkering on my own.apply the following setting.  FIX: Uncheck "disable IGMP Proxy".

Netgear support was never able to fix this and the supposed engineers offered zero solutions. I dont think I'll ever buy another Netgear product again based off what I experienced with this company. The hours of phone calls and promises to contact me that were never met... I do hope the fix that I found works for the unfortunate people like myself who purchased this router.

Message 14 of 23
Fairytail
Virtuoso

@srsbsns,

The information I have provided is correct based on the KB article from NETGEAR which I have posted in the 1st page. On the said KB article there is a note stating "Information on this article came from a Google Chromecast help page". If you happen to make it work for your router then this would be helpful to other users  and also for Chromecast as not all routers and other brands works with their units based on their page. Chromecast can include your workaround as they have provided workarounds for other routers/brands.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24510/~/chromecast-netgear-router-compatibility

https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/6207416?hl=en

Message 15 of 23
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@srsbsns I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We at NETGEAR strive to provide the best service possible for our customers.

For the vulnerability, here's a link of our statement when it comes to the ReadySHARE vulnerability.

Regarding the Nest, which Nest device do you have?
How is the Nest connected to the router? Wired or wireless? Which signal you're connecting it to (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz)?

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Message 16 of 23
srsbsns
Aspirant

@minions08 wrote:

@srsbsns,

The information I have provided is correct based on the KB article from NETGEAR which I have posted in the 1st page. On the said KB article there is a note stating "Information on this article came from a Google Chromecast help page". If you happen to make it work for your router then this would be helpful to other users  and also for Chromecast as not all routers and other brands works with their units based on their page. Chromecast can include your workaround as they have provided workarounds for other routers/brands.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24510/~/chromecast-netgear-router-compatibility

https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/6207416?hl=en

Again, you are incorrect and have not provided any information that proves otherwise. Networking 101 would tell you that unless the devices were sending malformed packets that its on the router side when it comes to what data traverses beyond it. Wireshark didnt reveal any error frames and the threeway handshakes revealed nothing. There was a broadcast sent and the router dropped it. There is no specific programming for models of routers contained in a device like Chromecast. It conforms to 802.11 and that pretty much it.  Not to be that guy but you keep being adament that your are correct as your community reputation is at stake. I can understand that but your knowledge in this particular area is rudimentary.   

Also if this was truely the case that it was on Google then why does it work fine with the WNDR4000? It should not work as its not on the compatible list. Why does Google refer you back to Netgear? 

Futhermore Netgear has finally released firmware 1.0.0.32.  Fixes include SOAP security issue,  KCode NetUSB security vulnerability issue. Ive tested this firmware and can confirm there have been additional undocumented changes that resolved both Chromecast and Nest issues for this router.

Message 17 of 23
srsbsns
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

@srsbsns I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We at NETGEAR strive to provide the best service possible for our customers.

For the vulnerability, here's a link of our statement when it comes to the ReadySHARE vulnerability.

Regarding the Nest, which Nest device do you have?
How is the Nest connected to the router? Wired or wireless? Which signal you're connecting it to (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz)?

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Elaine ,

Thank you for the post. Netgear has released a firmware 1.0.0.32 that resolved the security vulernabilites and Chromecast/Nest issues. Can you explain why the link you provided for the ReadySHARE vulnerability says there is no problem with the WNDR4300v2 and no fix is needed yet 2 days ago Netgear posts firmware with a changelog that contains the following bug fix notes? That link has been provided anyone asking about the vulnerabilities saying there is no problem. One could conclude users have been mislead until now. I know you are providing what information you have but somebody has not been telling the whole truth at Netgear.

Bug Fixes

• Fixes the SOAP security issue.
  • Fixes the KCode NetUSB security vulnerability issue

Message 18 of 23
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@srsbsns I'm waiting for a statement from our engineering team about this.

Thank you!

Message 19 of 23
GeorgeBitt
Aspirant

I installed the latest firmware and the chromecasts still didn't work.

I did the IGMP change and the chromecasts did work at that point, but it means I have to use my device as a router when I was wanting to use it as an access point. So no my wired devices that aren't connected to the WNDR can't see the Chromecasts. Is the nest working yet? I was hoping to pick one up but it sounds like that doesn't work with this device either so I'll probably need to replace this router.

Message 20 of 23
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@srsbsns Still waiting for the reply.

@GeorgeBitt What is the version of your Chromecast? Have you tried doing a factory reset and then reconfigure the router?

On our end, Chromecast v1 and v2 are working with WNDR4300v2 with or without disabling IGMP.

About setting the router in AP mode, I'm verifying with our engineers if it's a normal behavior.

Message 21 of 23
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GeorgeBitt One of our engineers have tested Chromecast v1 and v2 with WNDR4300v2 in AP mode and didn't get the same result as yours.

Everything is working on our end. There are no special settings set on the router. And again it didn't matter whether IGMP is enabled or disabled, Chromecast is working fine.

You may want to check your settings by using the guidelines below:

• Your computer is on the same WiFi network as the Chromecast
  • Make sure you're suing the power adapter plug that came in the Chromecast box and not USB powered
  • Use the extension cable included in your Chromecast box
  • Try the official Chromecast Troubleshooter. See this link.
  • Install the latest FW version of the router
  • If you're using a dual band router, ensure you are connecting to the 2.4Ghz network for Chromecast and make separate AP names for each 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks
  • Select the best channel and disregard using the Auto channel selection
  • If you have MAC filtering enabled on the router, add the MAC address of your Chromecast
  • Chromecast will not communicate with your router if you have AP/Client isolation enabled
  • Chromecast will not communicate with your router or computer if any VPN or Proxy servers are turned on both of your router and computer
  • Enable UPnP for easy network discovery of the Chromecast
  • On Verizon routers, disable IGMP snooping

Let us know what happens.

Message 22 of 23
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@srsbsns Our engineering team has confirmed that the updates to WNDR4300v2 firmware was not to fix any issue with NetUSB vulnerability, but to provide an enhancement to the router to avoid vulnerability. The release notes have been updated to reflect this change more accurately. 

Thank you for posting in the Community.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7