Re: WNDR4500: 2,4GHz/5GHz one band in use

Wim44
Novice

WNDR4500: 2,4GHz/5GHz one band in use

When WNDR4500 operational and WiFi active on both 2.4GHz/5.0GHz bands I see on my PC desktop (at the right lower corner) a pictogram for wireless. I can select both the SSid of NGxy (2.4GHz) as well as NGxy_5g (5.0GHz).

On the desktop PC only the 2,4GHz band connection is available.

So I cannot communicate via the 5 GHz band.
How is it possible that both SSid's of the Netgear WNDR4500 are displayed in the pictogram for wireless?
I cannot communicate on that PC in the 5.0 GHz band.
Is this an error or does the WNDR4500 provide for the pictogram for both bands (2.4/5GHz).

Also I can connect wireless via the USB N stick 2.4GHz to as well SSid NGxy (2.4GHz) as well as NGxy_5g (5.0GHz). Is this an error or does it just mean that I can always access the Netgear (NG) WNDR4500 ?
This is a little bit confusing.

Thanks for your response.
W
Message 1 of 13
MisterNivek
Novice

Your clients need to have a 5ghz capable wireless card. If they don't, they will only see and connect to the 2.4
Message 2 of 13
Wim44
Novice

My clients are not 5GHz capable, so I wondered why the clients (2.4GHz only) see SSid's of the Netgear WNDR4500 both in the 2.4GHz as well as the 5GHz band.

When I do a login WiFi to the WNDR4500 with / from just a 2.4GHz wireless client, a connection via both SSid's of the WNDR4500 (representing the 2.4GHz as well as the 5GHz band) can be made. (:madSmiley Happy

I do not use 5GHz clients at the moment, so I cann't check out the 5GHz band of the WNDR4500. If this issue should not have happened, I should have the hardware to use the 5.0GHz band. Now I did not buy it....

I conclude that both SSid's - one SSid assigned to one band, 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz resp. - is not working correct.

I did investigate the parm settings related to both the 2.4 as well as the 5GHz band of the WNDR4500. The best decision would be in that case: WNDR4500 back to the shop (I used the WNDR4500 for 2 working days) and giving my money back, or providing another WNDR4500 operating properly.

My decision would be to go for the Netgear WNDR4500 a second time. I like this router.

Are there any other reasons why this situation could occur ?
If not, I will return this WNDR4500 to the shop.
Message 3 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Please post the make and model of your wireless card.

I have never heard of such an issue. I highly doubt that it is a problem with the card.

Do you have the guest networks active?

R
Message 4 of 13
StratmanX
Tutor

Wim44 wrote:
When WNDR4500 operational and WiFi active on both 2.4GHz/5.0GHz bands I see on my PC desktop (at the right lower corner) a pictogram for wireless. I can select both the SSid of NGxy (2.4GHz) as well as NGxy_5g (5.0GHz).

On the desktop PC only the 2,4GHz band connection is available.

So I cannot communicate via the 5 GHz band.
How is it possible that both SSid's of the Netgear WNDR4500 are displayed in the pictogram for wireless?

What is the precise name of this window you call the "pictogram for wireless" you see in the right lower corner?

What is the make and model of the NIC adapter card(s) you use?

Are you sure ALL SSID's are unique and you are correct what each one corresponds to? There are SSID's you can assign for 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and a Guest 2.4 GHz signal.

As has been said already, a NIC adapter card must be able to operate on the 5GHz band in order to "swee" a 5GHz signal. If your NIC adapter card only operates on the 2.4 GHz band then it will not "see" your 5 GHz signal. At least I've never read otherwise.
Message 5 of 13
Wim44
Novice

I do not use dual band with my laptops and PC's. The N adapters are integrated in the laptops / PC's for just the 2.4GHz band.

So from my point of view it is impossible to see the 5GHz band of the WNDR4500.

I checked the config of the WNDR4500 and the SSid's are assigned to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. The Guest option is not activated and is not operational. The problem is the WNDR4500 hardware of just this specific router. I do not think all WNDR4500 will have this issue. Smiley Happy

Windows 7: look at the desktop screen, in the right corner below there is the time/date indication, left of it the sound (loudspeaker) pictogram and left of it the Windows 7 pictogram for wireless. Clicking left mouse button provides an overview of all active 2.4GHz SSids in the neighbourhood.
The 5GHz cannot be seen there, because the integrated radio (transceiver) in the laptops/PC's operate just in the 2.4GHz band. (WiFi).

Also in other equipment: Multimedia Player, PVR (digital recorder for TV) as well as PC's/Laptops I could see SSid of both the 2.4/5GHz SSid's of the WNDR4500. All this equipment just operates in the 2.4GHz band and cannot see 5GHz activity.

The issue is not the N-transceivers in the PC's/Laptops/MultiMedia Player/PVR/Mobile Phone with WiFi and/or iPad.

The problem is this specific WNDR4500.
Message 6 of 13
Wim44
Novice

I returned the brandnew Netgear WNDR4500 to the shop.
I showed the problem by a demo.
The problem could not be fixed.
Message 7 of 13
MisterNivek
Novice

Wim44 wrote:
I returned the brandnew Netgear WNDR4500 to the shop.
I showed the problem by a demo.
The problem could not be fixed.

I returned mine too and picked up the EA4500 from Cisco. it' is pretty solid and fast.

You know, i bet your wireless devices used the A spec too, which uses 5ghz.
Message 8 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Please post the make and model of your wireless device (2nd request).

R
Message 9 of 13
Wim44
Novice

Rhyalus wrote:

Please post the make and model of your wireless device (2nd request).
R

The answer will not make sense because this issue is not related to the WLAN cards in the laptops, the desktop PC's, nor the PVR's, nor the MultiMediaPlayers, nor the iPad and other stuff.

I provided a demo for the service personel of the shop with their equipment connected. The problem was the same. The problem was the WNDR4500.
The product is returned to the vendor/manufacturer.

I did not take another Netgear WNDR4500 router to give it a try.
With some other simulataneous dual band 2.4/5GHz routers: no issues.

The stated problem was dedicated to that WNDR4500 router. I do not assume other WNDR4500 routers have the same problem......

The WNDR4500 did operate well in combination with other modems/routers.
Also the USB 2TB Shared Drives connected to the WNDR4500 operated OK.
Message 10 of 13
Joe_
Apprentice

Wim44 wrote:
The stated problem was dedicated to that WNDR4500 router. I do not assume other WNDR4500 routers have the same problem......

So you are saying the issue was with the specific WNDR4500 router you had, and you were even able to reproduce it.

<< Idea >> That was indeed a unique router. If I had it I may have been tempted to keep it just to show it off :eek:. I might even win a lot of bets $$$ that way Smiley Wink.

While I admit it does sound strange, I try to keep and open mind. I'm sure we'll continue to hear of strange issues. Thanks for the follow-up though.
Message 11 of 13
RickDougherty
Aspirant

I have been fighting DNS type problems with my WNDR4500 for nearly 7 months. It is too late to take it back...because that is what is really necessary. My problems now seems to be incompatibilty with Windows 7 and Vista and the router. I have one computer running a telnet program under Windows XP that has not missed a beat. The 3 other machines on the network using Vista and Windows 7 always have major DNS problems...ready to throw this thing in the creek and get something decent.
Message 12 of 13
RickDougherty
Aspirant

Well I had enough of the NetGear product that was not supported properly and is defective and has design flaw...I went to Best Buy and purchased a Cisco Linksys N900, and it is working perfectly with no interuptions...no DNS problems and is doing the job that was intended for it...I am DONE with NetGear! Adios.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements