× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR4500 Connection Issues

stonkers
Aspirant

WNDR4500 Connection Issues

Hi!  My router worked great up until today.  There was a power outage (yes, I'm using a surge protector) and on the other side of it, my router started acting funny.  When I connect my modem to my router's internet port, the router won't transmit 2.4 or 5 GHz signal out.  When I unplug it from internet, it transmits an internetless signal.  I can plug my modem directly to my computer and get to the internet fine.  Once I change the cable to go from the Modem to the router, then the router to the computer, power cycle the modem, then it won't light up for the wireless transmission.  I've tried pushing the wifi button to turn it on but it doesn't seem to do anything.  I've tried to reset the modem but it doesn't seem to change anything, name of wifi stays with the old name, same password.  The only time I can connect to the modem via my laptop is when the internet is unplugged so I can't take firmware updates or anything.  Can someone help me with some steps to trouble shoot.  Thanks!

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
stonkers
Aspirant

Re: WNDR4500 Connection Issues

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
stonkers
Aspirant

So I got the router reset to work with the paperclip.  I've got it so that I can connect to the router with my computer IF I don't have the router connected to the internet.  Still when I connect from the modem to the router, the wifi lights won't come on.  As soon as I disconnect that network cable and restart the router, however, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz lights come right on.  So great, I connect my laptop directly to the modem and then connect, also, to the wifi network (now the default wifi name and password printed on the router), but it won't make it 2 steps into genie because "No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router Internet Port".  Kind of a catch 22 going on here.  Am I able to connect directly from the router to the laptop?  If so, do I need a crossover cable?  I can make one if need be...  Thanks!

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 2 of 3
stonkers
Aspirant

OK, doorstop...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation